Ranking the top 100 (and one) college basketball players for 2016-2017 | The Boneyard

Ranking the top 100 (and one) college basketball players for 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ranking the top 100 (and one) college basketball players for 2016-17

UConn not that well represented, as I expected. They'll just have to prove it on the court!

61. Jalen Adams | UConn | Sophomore | PG
Posted modest statistics while averaging 23.3 minutes as a freshman. But this is his team now. And the 6-3 point guard should have Kevin Ollie's Huskies near or at the top of the American Athletic Conference again. -- GP

96. Rodney Purvis | UConn | Senior | SG
Purvis barely edges out Amida Brimah on this list. Ultimately, if the Huskies are going to threaten for a 5 seed or better, and get to the second weekend of the NCAAs, Purvis will need to bump his shooting percentage close to 50 percent and his 3-point percentage right up against 40 percent. We expect both to happen. He's also an underrated defender. -- MN.

Reaction Score
This list is brutal. Overrates Adebayo and Fox crazily, as well as the Wisconsin guys.

Hayes top 25 and Koenig top 40? Christ, those guys both shot under 40% from the field last year. But one is a self proclaimed activist and the other hit a buzzer beater in the NCAAT.

Also, Dedric Lawson, a high volume chucker, ranks above every player in this conference. Also gets a prediction that he'll average 22 and 12. Laughable.

I could pick this apart all day long. Can the season just start already?

Reaction Score
Surprised Larrier isn't somewhere on the list given a mock has him going 1st round.

Ranking the top 100 (and one) college basketball players for 2016-17

UConn not that well represented, as I expected. They'll just have to prove it on the court!

61. Jalen Adams | UConn | Sophomore | PG
Posted modest statistics while averaging 23.3 minutes as a freshman. But this is his team now. And the 6-3 point guard should have Kevin Ollie's Huskies near or at the top of the American Athletic Conference again. -- GP

96. Rodney Purvis | UConn | Senior | SG
Purvis barely edges out Amida Brimah on this list. Ultimately, if the Huskies are going to threaten for a 5 seed or better, and get to the second weekend of the NCAAs, Purvis will need to bump his shooting percentage close to 50 percent and his 3-point percentage right up against 40 percent. We expect both to happen. He's also an underrated defender. -- MN.

Reaction Score
This list is brutal. Overrates Adebayo and Fox crazily, as well as the Wisconsin guys.

Hayes top 25 and Koenig top 40? Christ, those guys both shot under 40% from the field last year. But one is a self proclaimed activist and the other hit a buzzer beater in the NCAAT.

Also, Dedric Lawson, a high volume chucker, ranks above every player in this conference. Also gets a prediction that he'll average 22 and 12. Laughable.

It's really not that hard to separate whatever ranking Hayes and Keonig received on this particular pre-season list with their legitimate activism (which wasn't even mentioned).

Reaction Score
I like how Gary Parrish has Trevon Bluiett contending for A-10 player of the year. That would be something if he could pull that off.

Reaction Score

I thought Lawson was low, if anything. He was a chucker last year because he was one of two players who could score. You don't see many guys put up the numbers he did as freshman, which would seem to indicate he's capable of making a leap to something close to a 20-10 guy (22 and 12 is definitely a bit out there, dude isn't Blake Griffin).

Reaction Score
It's really not that hard to separate whatever ranking Hayes and Keonig received on this particular pre-season list with their legitimate activism (which wasn't even mentioned).
You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but they were not top 40 players in college basketball. Not even close last year. Hayes at least was 2 years ago, so he has the potential to be.

I thought Lawson was low, if anything. He was a chucker last year because he was one of two players who could score. You don't see many guys put up the numbers he did as freshman, which would seem to indicate he's capable of making a leap to something close to a 20-10 guy (22 and 12 is definitely a bit out there, dude isn't Blake Griffin).
Interesting thought here, and I agree with your point to an extent. They lost Shaq Goodwin and Ricky Tarrant, so I don't see them having much more offense this year either. You don't see many freshman put up his numbers, true, but not many freshman get to put up a 99 ORtg and take as many shots as they please.

You can project progress as a player, but he was a far cry from top 50 last year, and he'd have to become a lot more efficient this year to be. It would be nice for the conference if he was, though.

This list seems like it just looked at PPG, REB and AST. Aggregate totals weighing much more heavily than shooting percentages or any metric for efficiency. The latter are the things that actually help teams win games

Reaction Score
I like how Gary Parrish has Trevon Bluiett contending for A-10 player of the year. That would be something if he could pull that off.

Are you saying Blueitt isn't good. Or that u actually like it?

Reaction Score
You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but they were not top 40 players in college basketball. Not even close last year. Hayes at least was 2 years ago, so he has the potential to be.

Completely agree - I took no issue with your assessment of their basketball skills. You're right, Hayes has a lot of potential, this could be a huge year for him. I have a hard time believing Koenig will be the 32nd best player in America at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
This list is total hogwash, should have been expected considering the source..

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When I saw that punk Greyson Allen ranked #1 - I closed the site
I hope someone does some serious physical damage to him - when the refs aren't looking
To me he is Christian Laettner's little brother
Despise the creep

Reaction Score
Top 3 players in last year's draft were freshmen and 5 of first 10 picks

NBADraft.net has 8 of the first 10 2017 picks are frosh and that includes 1 INT'L player

Larrier moved up to #18

Reading these lists with all these freshmen at or near the top is ridiculous. Can we at least let them play half a season first?.

8 of the top 20 players in college hoops are freshmen!

Reaction Score

NBADraft.net has 8 of the first 10 2017 picks are frosh and that includes 1 INT'L player

Larrier moved up to #18
True but at the same time, Jaylen Brown probably wasn't even a top 100 college player, nor was Ingram top 10.

Reaction Score

Larrier moved up to #18

Being a top 10 pick in the NBA doesn't always correlate to being a top 10 college player........its not apples to apples. There are about 100 different examples.

Reaction Score

Larrier moved up to #18

But, were they the three best players in college hoops last year?

They're ranking the best college hoops players for the upcoming season, not the best NBA prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom