Ranking the Huskies Non-Conference Opponents | The Boneyard

Ranking the Huskies Non-Conference Opponents

Reaction Score
UConnwbbweekly has ranked the non-conference opponents in terms of interest. Here they are:
8. Minnesota
7. Georgia Tech
6. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
4. UCLA
3. Arkansas
2. Louisville
1. South Carolina

Here is the end of the article, talking about UConn/SC
Neither program lost much from last season and both can make an argument for having the best incoming class in the nation. They’re scheduled to play once in Columbia, will likely meet again in the final at the Battle 4 Atlantis and might even see each other a third time in the Final Four. With Notre Dame out of the picture, this could be the year that UConn-South Carolina becomes the premier rivalry in college basketball. At the very least, each matchup between them will be must-see television.

I'm more interested in ND than OR or UCLA, just because it's always fun to give them a thrashing. :)

What say you?

Reaction Score
I think the UCONN-SC matchup is super interesting for a variety of reasons. Both teams have a really talented Final Four core coming back; both have a deep and talented freshman class; and the teams present a contrast in styles. It's not just which team is better, but how do their different approaches - front court vs. back court, inside vs. outside - match up. It will be an athletic and strategic showcase. And with the strong possibility of multiple match ups (alas, none at home), it has the potential to be epic.

Reaction Score
UConnwbbweekly has ranked the non-conference opponents in terms of interest. Here they are:
8. Minnesota
7. Georgia Tech
6. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
4. UCLA
3. Arkansas
2. Louisville
1. South Carolina

Neither program lost much from last season and both can make an argument for having the best incoming class in the nation. They’re scheduled to play once in Columbia, will likely meet again in the final at the Battle 4 Atlantis and might even see each other a third time in the Final Four. With Notre Dame out of the picture, this could be the year that UConn-South Carolina becomes the premier rivalry in college basketball. At the very least, each matchup between them will be must-see television.

I'm more interested in ND than OR or UCLA, just because it's always fun to give them a thrashing. :)

What say you?

Interesting Tenn didn't make the cut. I'd put them either 3 or 4.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
8. Minnesota
7. Georgia Tech
6. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
4. UCLA
3. Arkansas
2. Louisville
1. South Carolina

What say you?
The theme of the article is the interest UConn fans are perceived to have for each opponent on this year's schedule. So I will confine my thoughts to THAT premise. I agree with South Carolina being number one. They are the BIGGEST threat to UConn. I believe they more than any other team have the capability of defeating the Huskies. They signed the number 2,3 and 4 ranked recruits from the 2021 class this year. They also added 6'7" sophomore Kamila Cardoso who transferred in from Syracuse, and will be eligible to play immediately. South Carolina is as good as advertised!! There is talent up and down their roster. I don't think they'll lose MORE than two games this season.

They still have junior Aliyah Boston who remains formidable and is still one of the best post players in the country. We are the biggest opponent on each other's schedule, and will be until replaced by another program. Games between these two schools are good for each team, and WCBB, and are usually broadcast on national television.

I think Notre Dame is number two even though they are rebuilding, and will be for the next couple of years. They have enough cachet in reserve to demand our interest. The two fans bases hate each other, and revel whenever they secure a win. I vividly remember ND head coach Muffet McGraw dancing a jig on the court recently after defeating UConn in a final four game (Ogunbowale's buzzer beater). I don't recall her dancing after any win prior to that. The only fanbase that hates UConn more is Tennessee. I didn't say "dislike", I said hate. :mad:

If both of these programs could only win one game all year, they would choose to beat UConn. It's possible that Tennessee will never be supplanted for the top spot in that category. They've hated UConn much longer than ND fans, and go back in time much further with UConn than ND does. Their fanbase hates Geno and all things UConn, often blaming him for things he has nothing to do with. Who on our schedule would you rather beat than South Carolina and Notre Dame? If we have to lose a game, I would rather it not be to either of those two.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the UCONN-SC matchup is super interesting for a variety of reasons. Both teams have a really talented Final Four core coming back; both have a deep and talented freshman class; and the teams present a contrast in styles. It's not just which team is better, but how do their different approaches - front court vs. back court, inside vs. outside - match up. It will be an athletic and strategic showcase. And with the strong possibility of multiple match ups (alas, none at home), it has the potential to be epic.

Starting with which ball they are using.

Reaction Score
We'll see what UConn has against SC - probably the only team (maybe Stanford as well) that has more raw talent from 1 to 8. Contrasting styles to say the least. Will UConn be able to match up against them physically & inside, that is the big question. Tenn & ND will also draw a lot of interest, especially after last year's Tenn game - an instant classic.

Reaction Score
Must be a good game with South Carolina.
Incoming freshmen, UConn has #1. 5, 15 and 30, South Carolina has # 2, 3, 4 and 14 form ESPNHoopz.

Reaction Score
The theme of the article is the interest UConn fans are perceived to have for each opponent on this year's schedule. So I will confine my thoughts to THAT premise. I agree with South Carolina being number one. They are the BIGGEST threat to UConn. I believe they more than any other team have the capability of defeating the Huskies. They signed the number 2,3 and 4 ranked recruits from the 2021 class this year. They also added 6'7" sophomore Kamila Cardoso who transferred in from Syracuse, and will be eligible to play immediately. South Carolina is as good as advertised!! There is talent up and down their roster. I don't think they'll lose MORE than two games this season.

They still have junior Aliyah Boston who remains formidable and is still one of the best post players in the country. We are the biggest opponent on each other's schedule, and will be until replaced by another program. Games between these two schools are good for each team, and WCBB, and are usually broadcast on national television.

I think Notre Dame is number two even though they are rebuilding, and will be for the next couple of years. They have enough cachet in reserve to demand our interest. The two fans bases hate each other, and revel whenever they secure a win. I vividly remember ND head coach Muffet McGraw dancing a jig on the court recently after defeating UConn in a final four game (Ogunbowale's buzzer beater). I don't recall her dancing after any win prior to that. The only fanbase that hates UConn more is Tennessee. I didn't say "dislike", I said hate. :mad:

If both of these programs could only win one game all year, they would choose to beat UConn. It's possible that Tennessee will never be supplanted for the top spot in that category. They've hated UConn much longer than ND fans, and go back in time much further with UConn than ND does. Their fanbase hates Geno and all things UConn, often blaming him for things he has nothing to do with. Who on our schedule would you rather beat than South Carolina and Notre Dame? If we have to lose a game, I would rather it not be to either of those two.
Great analysis but it needs to be noted that the infamous Muffet jig was after the 2019 FF game when Uconn blew a late 9 point lead, which was painful in its own way compared the 2018 buzzer beater loss. They show it here at the 1:47 mark if you care to get your blood boiling.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"(SC) will likely meet again in the final at the Battle 4 Atlantis"

I was led to believe that this is not possible. Am I wrong?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
"(SC) will likely meet again in the final at the Battle 4 Atlantis"

I was led to believe that this is not possible. Am I wrong?
You're wrong, they can meet since it is a tournament and they are in two different brackets. They aren't scheduled to meet so it's allowed.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
From my perspective, yes SC will be the most anticipated game of the regular season, not just for UCONN and SC but for all of WCBB. #2 will be Ark. reason-revenge, I know you all get it. #3 UCLA reason East vs West a new dog chasing the leader of the pack. UCLA wants some of the same recruits that we want now and in the future. It's important that we show dominance, a close loss for UCLA is a win for them therefore a big win for us helps keep them well behind the Big Dog. OK now you have my top three and why, interested in other opinions and ideas.

Reaction Score
Great analysis but it needs to be noted that the infamous Muffet jig was after the 2019 FF game when Uconn blew a late 9 point lead, which was painful in its own way compared the 2018 buzzer beater loss. They show it here at the 1:47 mark if you care to get your blood boiling.

And this year Baylor beat ND 82 - 81 for the NC.

Reaction Score
You're wrong, they can meet since it is a tournament and they are in two different brackets. They aren't scheduled to meet so it's allowed.

I am so looking forward to Paradise Island! Apparently, at the start, they could not meet and it was going to be a round robin across both groups of four. Something changed contractually to allow it to go to bracket and open up the probability.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I am so looking forward to Paradise Island! Apparently, at the start, they could not meet and it was going to be a round robin across both groups of four. Something changed contractually to allow it to go to bracket and open up the probability.
So that means they will most likely play South Carolina on November 22, the third game of the season. That ought to be interesting. I would expect a somewhat sloppy game as two titans match up early.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
That's the type of game where coaching has the advantage - and I like those odds!
It will be interesting to see how Geno coaches that game. Will he use a short bench, only playing 6 or 7 players, or will he give more players the opportunity to show what they can do against a top quality team. If I had to guess, I would guess that Dawn will distribute playing time more than Geno will, based on past experience. But this could be a whole new thread - what will be playing times for the third game of the year. ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Geno coaches that game. Will he use a short bench, only playing 6 or 7 players, or will he give more players the opportunity to show what they can do against a top quality team. If I had to guess, I would guess that Dawn will distribute playing time more than Geno will, based on past experience. But this could be a whole new thread - what will be playing times for the third game of the year. ;)
Actually it would be the 4th game of the year.

Reaction Score
8. Minnesota
7. Georgia Tech
6. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
4. UCLA
3. Arkansas
2. Louisville
1. South Carolina

What say you?

Reaction Score
They forgot Tennessee ? Not like the old days Is it ? But we do love these “new” days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom