OT: - Ranking Connecticut's D1 Basketball Programs for 20/21 | The Boneyard

OT: Ranking Connecticut's D1 Basketball Programs for 20/21

Reaction Score
Hi,

We miss sports and I've been spending an inordinate amount of time looking ahead to next year and what rosters might look like.

One angle I wanted to look at is rank all of the teams in Connecticut, along with a preview of what their squad looks like. Enjoy!

1) UConn - 52 KenPom last season.

Even with Vital/Alterique graduating and Akok likely not playing, I expect next year's team to be even better! Should be a top-40 team next year.

2) Yale - 58 KenPom last season.

Bruner transferred and Monroe graduated, but their two leading scorers Paul Atkinson and Azar Swain make for a heck of an inside/outside duo (33.6 ppg combined). Wings Jalen Gabbidon and Matthue Cotton both return and incoming freshman big Yussif Basa-Ama is their top rated prospect ever. It's a toss up between Yale and Harvard on who will be the best team in the Ivy.

3) Fairfield - 301 KemPom last season.

The poor shooting Stags had their best shooter (Landon Taliaferro) and their best frontcourt player (Vincent Eze) graduate, but both of these players are replaced by two quality transfers with Caleb Green from Holy Cross (10.8 ppg) and Tshiefu Ngalakulondi from St. Bonaventure. Green is especially a huge get for the Stags as their point guard play last year was poor and one of their wings, Taj Benning, played about have of the PG minutes. Green should stabilize the 1 spot big time (he played 92% of PG minutes his last season at Holy Cross).

Look for raw, but long and super athletic incoming sophomore big Chris Maidoh to take the next step for the Stags.

4) Quinnipiac - 251 KenPom last season

Lots of firepower gone after Rich Kelly (BC) and Kevin Marfo (Texas A&M) transferred, but a solid combination of returning upperclassman between Tyrese Williams/Jacob Rigoni/Matt Balanc/Savion Lewis (35 ppg combined) to see which of these players can step up.

5) Hartford - 243 KenPom last season.

While Malik Ellison might have been the 2nd best player in the American East and Traci Carter was a stabilizing senior, the Hawks had nice contributions from their underclassman. Stretch big Hunter Marks and lead guard Moses Flowers will lead the team and overall the team has a decent mix of guards and big men.

6) Sacred Heart - 200 KenPom last season.

The last two years were a lot of fun to watch the Pioneers play some of their best basketball in recent memort, but so much talent has left. Starters EJ Anosike (Tennessee), Koreem Ozier (TBA) and Cameron Parker (Montana) all transferred while rim protector Jare'l Spellman and shooter Kinnon LaRose graduated.

Aaron Clarke did a nice job stepping up for the injured Cameron Parker and he will be the team's leader. Former Amity guard Tyler Thomas also showed some potential as a microwave scorer while former Trinity Catholic big Cantavio Dutreil joins after spending some time at North Alabama and Harcum College. Having Zach Radz return on a medical redshirt is big for depth too. I really like their coach Anthony Latina, but this looks to be a rebuilding year with so much talent gone. However, you know the team will work their butts off every game.

7) Central Connecticut State - 347 KenPom last season.

Hey, last year couldn't have gone much worse. With no seniors playing major roles last year, 8 returning rotation players and a solid frontcourt addition in Fairfield's Wassef Methnani, Ian Krishnan will try to led the team in the NEC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hi,

We miss sports and I've been spending an inordinate amount of time looking ahead to next year and what rosters might look like.

One angle I wanted to look at is rank all of the teams in Connecticut, along with a preview of what their squad looks like. Enjoy!

1) UConn - 52 KenPom last season.

Even with Vital/Alterique graduating and Akok likely not playing, I expect next year's team to be even better! Should be a top-40 team next year.

2) Yale - 58 KenPom last season.

Bruner transferred and Monroe graduated, but their two leading scorers Paul Atkinson and Azar Swain make for a heck of an inside/outside duo (33.6 ppg combined). Wings Jalen Gabbidon and Matthue Cotton both return and incoming freshman big Yussif Basa-Ama is their top rated prospect ever. It's a toss up between Yale and Harvard on who will be the best team in the Ivy.

3) Fairfield - 301 KemPom last season.

The poor shooting Stags had their best shooter (Landon Taliaferro) and their best frontcourt player (Vincent Eze) graduate, but both of these players are replaced by two quality transfers with Caleb Green from Holy Cross (10.8 ppg) and Tshiefu Ngalakulondi from St. Bonaventure. Green is especially a huge get for the Stags as their point guard play last year was poor and one of their wings, Taj Benning, played about have of the PG minutes. Green should stabilize the 1 spot big time (he played 92% of PG minutes his last season at Holy Cross).

Look for raw, but long and super athletic incoming sophomore big Chris Maidoh to take the next step for the Stags.

4) Quinnipiac - 251 KenPom last season

Lots of firepower gone after Rich Kelly (BC) and Kevin Marfo (Texas A&M) transferred, but a solid combination of returning upperclassman between Tyrese Williams/Jacob Rigoni/Matt Balanc/Savion Lewis (35 ppg combined) to see which of these players can step up.

5) Hartford - 243 KenPom last season.

While Malik Ellison might have been the 2nd best player in the American East and Traci Carter was a stabilizing senior, the Hawks had nice contributions from their underclassman. Stretch big Hunter Marks and lead guard Moses Flowers will lead the team and overall the team has a decent mix of guards and big men.

6) Sacred Heart - 200 KenPom last season.

The last two years were a lot of fun to watch the Pioneers play some of their best basketball in recent memort, but so much talent has left. Starters EJ Anosike (Tennessee), Koreem Ozier (TBA) and Cameron Parker (Montana) all transferred while rim protector Jare'l Spellman and shooter Kinnon LaRose graduated.

Aaron Clarke did a nice job stepping up for the injured Cameron Parker and he will be the team's leader. Former Amity guard Tyler Thomas also showed some potential as a microwave scorer while former Trinity Catholic big Cantavio Dutreil joins after spending some time at North Alabama and Harcum College. Having Zach Radz return on a medical redshirt is big for depth too. I really like their coach Anthony Latina, but this looks to be a rebuilding year with so much talent gone. However, you know the team will work their butts off every game.

7) Central Connecticut State - 347 KenPom last season.

Hey, last year couldn't have gone much worse. With no seniors playing major roles last year, 8 returning rotation players and a solid frontcourt addition in Fairfield's Wassef Methnani, Ian Krishnan will try to led the team in the NEC.
Didn’t New Haven go D1?
or is that on hold.

Reaction Score
I don’t think they announced a date. Would assume they would join the NEC. @CCSU97 or @CCSUblue might have more insight.

My understanding was that they hired the guy from Kansas as a part of exploring the possibility of going D-1. Don't think anything official had happened and at this point I would expect any announcements to be delayed.

I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

Edit: Upon further investigation, I can't see any talk about it since it was first mentioned in September. There was one article from the campus newspaper that mentioned it in an interview with the AD.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom