Ranking College Football's Best Decisions Of The Past 10 Years | The Boneyard

Ranking College Football's Best Decisions Of The Past 10 Years

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The 10 best CFB decisions of the last 10 years

The Creation of the American Athletic Conference

When the so-called “Catholic 7” (the Big East’s non-FBS schools) announced they had voted to leave the conference in 2012 amid the realignment frenzy, the remaining schools did the right thing by selling the Big East name and forming their own rebranded conference. “The American” has a great ring to it, and under commissioner Mike Aresco, it has gradually established itself as a threat to the old guard.

Sure, the AAC is still rightfully listed among the Group of Five, but over the past few years, schools like Memphis, Houston, Navy, Temple and USF have put together standout seasons and beaten big-enough-name opponents that the conference has seemed like just a half-step down from the Power 5. Aresco has repeatedly voiced his desire for his conference to be the force behind a “Power 6,” and he’s backed up that claim. Despite its complete lack of geographic unity, the AAC is looking less like a stepping stone for teams and coaches and more like an institution that’s here to stay.

Utah Joining the Pac-12

We’re back to realignment, with what I believe to be the second-best move of any wayward team. The Utes came to the Pac-12 in 2011 from the Mountain West, jumping from the Group of Five to the Power 5. Since then, they’ve played in bowls in four of six seasons, winning all of them, and they’ve ended the season in the Top 25 each of the past three years. There’s been a constant upward trajectory for coach Kyle Whittingham’s team, and from the Pac-12’s perspective, getting into another major media market (one that makes complete geographic sense) was a smart move.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I freaking hate being in the American, but gotta like the SI love.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Wow. I guess DB's firing of Diaco was number 11. I would have thought it would be higher than that.

Reaction Score
Odd that Utah is the only school singled out. I would say Nebraska to the B1G and Texas A&M to the SEC were no brainers.

Reaction Score
The only measure of AAC success is the next contract
If they get significantly more money than the other G5
even if substantially less than P5
Than Schools like Air Force ,BYU, and others will be clamoring to get in.
I love San Diago and Boise but that's a real stretch.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Ya, a great decision by the P5 to eventually separate themselves from the rest. We are .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom