Ranking college basketball’s best current programs: 16-20 | The Boneyard

Ranking college basketball’s best current programs: 16-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since they are rating programs as they stand now, I could see us slipping to 10 or so based on CR and the coaching change.

Texas being 16 is confusing - it's like they are evaluating how good they could be, as opposed to how good they are or ever have been.

Reaction Score
If we're as good as I think we could be this season, I could see us shooting into the top 7-8 at this time next year.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If your current head coach has a ring, you are ahead of us by default:

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Cuse, Michigan State, Florida, Louisville

I put UConn behind these programs and ahead of everyone else due to 3 NC's in the last 15 years. Under another coach or not, that still counts for something. I'm not counting Tubby's or Brown's rings from the not recent past at other programs.

Reaction Score
If your current head coach has a ring, you are ahead of us by default:

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Cuse, Michigan State, Florida, Louisville

I put UConn behind these programs and ahead of everyone else due to 3 NC's in the last 15 years. Under another coach or not, that still counts for something. I'm not counting Tubby's or Brown's rings from the not recent past at other programs.

It will be interesting to see what they mean by "current". Last ten years? Five? Three? Where does UCLA rank? They're only five years removed from back to back to back final fours, but in the last five years they definitely haven't done enough to be considered top 20 IMO.

Reaction Score
These things are fun when there is nothing else to talk about.
I'm much more concerned with how we will be ranked 10 years from now.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what they mean by "current". Last ten years? Five? Three? Where does UCLA rank? They're only five years removed from back to back to back final fours, but in the last five years they definitely haven't done enough to be considered top 20 IMO.
I should have included this.

History is a strong component of college basketball program status, but reputation doesn’t always foot with current status, especially after the significant conference realignment of the past few years. As we move closer to what should be an outstanding 2013-14 season, it seemed a good time to really reevaluate the current national pecking order. Rep still matters, but as the game has become truly national, it’s certainly not the only thing anymore.
There are a lot of different things that go into making a modern-day program into one of the best in the nation. Do you have a history of success? How is the program doing currently? Is it the product of one good coach or a sustainable level that can weather a coaching change? What is the basketball budget? How are your facilities? What league are you in and, perhaps as important, what is your place within that league? Do you have a good fan base? Are they fair-weather? How’s your recruiting pipeline, and is that coach- or-location-related?
How you choose to prioritize those things will lead to significant debate over the overall ranking of programs as they sit today.
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/09/23/ranking-college-basketballs-current-top-20-programs/

Reaction Score
I should have included this.

History is a strong component of college basketball program status, but reputation doesn’t always foot with current status, especially after the significant conference realignment of the past few years. As we move closer to what should be an outstanding 2013-14 season, it seemed a good time to really reevaluate the current national pecking order. Rep still matters, but as the game has become truly national, it’s certainly not the only thing anymore.
There are a lot of different things that go into making a modern-day program into one of the best in the nation. Do you have a history of success? How is the program doing currently? Is it the product of one good coach or a sustainable level that can weather a coaching change? What is the basketball budget? How are your facilities? What league are you in and, perhaps as important, what is your place within that league? Do you have a good fan base? Are they fair-weather? How’s your recruiting pipeline, and is that coach- or-location-related?
How you choose to prioritize those things will lead to significant debate over the overall ranking of programs as they sit today.
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/09/23/ranking-college-basketballs-current-top-20-programs/

Well, based on their criteria:

1) History of success? - Absolutely, especially the last 25 years
2) How are we doing now? So-so, if you look at the last 4-5 years
3) Can we weather a coaching change? Remains to be seen, but indications are positive
4) Basketball budget? Who knows, probably average
5) Facilities? Decent, but getting much better soon
6) League situation? Ughhhhh
7) Good fan base? If we cloned this board 1000 times over, it would be excellent. As it is, too many fat-cats.
8) Recruiting? Has never been a strength relative to our peers, hopefully Ollie kicks it up a notch. So-so

I think we'll end up in the 10-15 range, mostly being knocked by recent sea changes and hits to our perception as an elite high-major program. I'm optimistic that this will turn out to be a relative nadir and we'll be right back to where we belong in 10 years.

Reaction Score

3) Can we weather a coaching change? Remains to be seen, but indications are positive
7) Good fan base? If we cloned this board 1000 times over, it would be excellent. As it is, too many fat-cats.
8) Recruiting? Has never been a strength relative to our peers, hopefully Ollie kicks it up a notch. So-so

I think we'll end up in the 10-15 range, mostly being knocked by recent sea changes and hits to our perception as an elite high-major program. I'm optimistic that this will turn out to be a relative nadir and we'll be right back to where we belong in 10 years.

While I understand your point, it's funny to me that our "so-so" years include two final fours, a national title, and four 20+ win seasons in the toughest conference in America over that span.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that there is no such thing as a so-so window that small with a national title in it.

National titles are hard.

The fan base one is frustrating because our fan base was awesome through title 2. We lined highways to watch the team bus come back after losses. Huskymania was the title of books. Then we became spoiled, administrative policies priced fans out of the market for tickets, maybe laptopgate and the slump after drove some people away. Whatever the reasons - we don't have the mania we once did.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that there is no such thing as a so-so window that small with a national title in it.

National titles are hard.

The fan base one is frustrating because our fan base was awesome through title 2. We lined highways to watch the team bus come back after losses. Huskymania was the title of books. Then we became spoiled, administrative policies priced fans out of the market for tickets, maybe laptopgate and the slump after drove some people away. Whatever the reasons - we don't have the mania we once did.
Its exciting when its new, now its just expected.

Trying to find a silver lining here, but maybe the AAU will bring some of that excitement back. New scenery (not arguing its not a big downgrade from BE) will possibly interest fans at first. And winning regular season and conference championships will presumably/hopefully be more frequent occurrences. I can't remember off hand when we last won a BE regular season title or BE tourney before kemba, but in the AAU we might not have that kind of lull in between

Reaction Score
Its exciting when its new, now its just expected.

Trying to find a silver lining here, but maybe the AAU will bring some of that excitement back. New scenery (not arguing its not a big downgrade from BE) will possibly interest fans at first. And winning regular season and conference championships will presumably/hopefully be more frequent occurrences. I can't remember off hand when we last won a BE regular season title or BE tourney before kemba, but in the AAU we might not have that kind of lull in between
It depresses me so much that there are fans of our program with this attitude.

Reaction Score
the most frustrating thing to me is the huge gap in perception between those of us that love uconn and the national landscape. no question, off the court the last few years have been a nightmare and has done nothing to help change how uconn is viewed by many. on the court, the last 5 years, the last 10 years, the last 15 years......have been far from so-so. go find me five other teams who also had similiar so-so stretches.

Reaction Score
It depresses me so much that there are fans of our program with this attitude.
Not everyone is a die hard fan like people on this board. Just have to look for any opportunity to get everyone else excited about it and somewhere down the road you just have to hope there's more fans like us.

Reaction Score
While I understand your point, it's funny to me that our "so-so" years include two final fours, a national title, and four 20+ win seasons in the toughest conference in America over that span.

Yeah, I mostly meant 2010-2013, where we never contended for a conference regular season title and were scarcely ranked, especially not in the top 10. A stray championship run led by a transcendent player can only partially mask the fact that, after the 2009 FF run, the last several seasons have not been up to our usual standard.

Of course, all but 4-5 programs in the country would trade those seasons with us in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I appreciate deference to established great coaches, so I'd guess around 10th. However, I predict that in a similar discussion 5 years years from now, UConn will be in the top 3-5 based on Ollie's success. He is almost too good to be true. His credentials position him to be one of the greatest ever, the Calhoun legacy starts him at the top and his drive is infectious. Whether you give him credit or not, it seems that every player is poised to bring a better game to practice on Friday (or whenever TO can return). Last year we saw that he likes to run. He spoke on ESPN about running more and how he has taught a system designed to react to defenses. Ask Peyton Manning is that is a good idea. Recruits are gonna love what they see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the most frustrating thing to me is the huge gap in perception between those of us that love uconn and the national landscape. no question, off the court the last few years have been a nightmare and has done nothing to help change how uconn is viewed by many. on the court, the last 5 years, the last 10 years, the last 15 years......have been far from so-so. go find me five other teams who also had similiar so-so stretches.
Liked then unliked this just so I could like it again.

Reaction Score
Where we're ranked in February and March will have a HUGE impact on the perception of the program.

I agree that this is a big "tipping point" year, both on and off the court.

A buzz-worthy season with a top 10-15 ranking, capped by a Sweet 16/Elite 8 run, will restore some of our national prestige and grant Ollie legitimacy as a big-time coach. If paired with an elite recruiting class that sets us up to be highly-ranked heading into 2014-15, perception will be that we are a major player poised to be at worst the premier program outside the power conferences, with conference affiliation not harming us at all.

A ho-hum season where we bob in and out of the top 25 and don't make it out of the first weekend of the Tournament will further the perception that we are in decline and no better than programs like Texas, Illinois, and Washington, which make noise occasionally but aren't perennial powers. With Ollie's best chance at a deep run having gone by the boards, people will question whether he can sustain Calhoun's success, and recruiting may lag, especially if we are already spurned by the remaining big names in the class of 2014. Combined with a lackluster conference, we'll be poised to fade into obscurity.

Reaction Score
UConn at 13

http://college-basketball.si.com/20...tballs-best-current-programs-11-15/#more-8084

No. 13 Connecticut

Pluses: Ownership of geographic region, great program history, seems to have transitioned well from a legendary coach, should be the best program in its new conference over the long term, facility upgrades are on the way
Minuses: Downgrade from the old Big East, Kevin Ollie is still somewhat unproven despite good early indications

This could be a touch too high at the moment, but what Jim Calhoun built in a small northeast Connecticut town looks like it’s in position to continue to be one of the better programs in America. Until you get to Syracuse in central New York, there’s no program in the region that even comes close to UConn’s gravitas and level of support. Losing the conference realignment musical chairs game isn’t ideal, but UConn could end up as a “CUSA Memphis” or super-Gonzaga in the sense that they should be the best program in their league and can play a national schedule in nonconference to balance out some relative weakness versus past Big East schedules. You never know how transitions from long-time coaches will go, but Calhoun got the man he wanted in charge, and so far, it looks like a prudent choice. The program got through the one-year APR ban in good shape, and a much-needed new practice facility is coming to help close the facilities gap with other major programs. Great history, great basketball brand and a dedication to the sport (both men’s and women’s).

Reaction Score
UConn at 13

http://college-basketball.si.com/20...tballs-best-current-programs-11-15/#more-8084

No. 13 Connecticut

Pluses: Ownership of geographic region, great program history, seems to have transitioned well from a legendary coach, should be the best program in its new conference over the long term, facility upgrades are on the way
Minuses: Downgrade from the old Big East, Kevin Ollie is still somewhat unproven despite good early indications

This could be a touch too high at the moment, but what Jim Calhoun built in a small northeast Connecticut town looks like it’s in position to continue to be one of the better programs in America. Until you get to Syracuse in central New York, there’s no program in the region that even comes close to UConn’s gravitas and level of support. Losing the conference realignment musical chairs game isn’t ideal, but UConn could end up as a “CUSA Memphis” or super-Gonzaga in the sense that they should be the best program in their league and can play a national schedule in nonconference to balance out some relative weakness versus past Big East schedules. You never know how transitions from long-time coaches will go, but Calhoun got the man he wanted in charge, and so far, it looks like a prudent choice. The program got through the one-year APR ban in good shape, and a much-needed new practice facility is coming to help close the facilities gap with other major programs. Great history, great basketball brand and a dedication to the sport (both men’s and women’s).
Seems too low to me. He's saying everything is going to be fine going forward. If he said it was a major concern (coach and conference) then I would understand 13. But couple those comments with tremendous previous success and I can't see how he came up with 13.

Reaction Score
UConn at 13

No. 13 Connecticut

What? Are you kidding me? And UCLA and Florida right there too? Quit now.

Reaction Score
It's disgusting how people choose to ignore our total of national championships/FFs in the last 15 years. What a joke.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Obviously way too low, but at least we made this list, unlike Goodman/ESPN...

What do we need to do to get some respect? Win 10 championships? I just hope KO can deliver one in the next 1-3 years to shut these people up.

Reaction Score

Here is a link they provided in the first article: http://www.bbstate.com/info/teams-hoopsbudget

UConn's budget ranked 11th at $8,633,474 behind Indiana, Michigan State, Marquette, Georgetown, Kansas, OK State, Syracuse, Kentucky, Louisville & Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom