Randy Edsall open to adding more players as UConn football season creeps closer (Putterman) | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall open to adding more players as UConn football season creeps closer (Putterman)

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall open to adding more players as UConn football season creeps closer

>>
“It’s an ever-changing situation," Edsall said. "Our roster won’t be final until we go to camp on [July] 31.”

Edsall said he continues to monitor the portal (essentially a database of athletes looking to transfer) in hopes of filling roster holes, particularly at four positions where the Huskies could use help: tight end, wide receiver, defensive lineman and safety.<<

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Good to see Edsall embrace this for what it is and lose the rebel without a cause schtick.
The sooner we start playing the game- in all sports- the better

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good to see Edsall embrace this for what it is and lose the rebel without a cause schtick.

Absolutely. We have playing time and should be a fairly attractive destination. He needed to embrace this immediately upon being re-hired. Win games by any means possible.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The transfer portal only came into existence in October 2018...

And prior to that there had never been a JUCO or transfer in the history of college football? It's just a more organized approach to what always occurred.

Reaction Score
Am I alone in this, or should Randy Edsall try to find one more QB. I don't get a good feeling about who we have. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
And prior to that there had never been a JUCO or transfer in the history of college football? It's just a more organized approach to what always occurred.

Ha.. I'm surprised that comment was still available to comment on because I deleted it right after I posted it> I figured it wasn't worth the debate that the process changed significantly during/after Edsall's first season back (which is what I thought you meant by the "he needed to embrace this immediately upon being re-hired" comment).

Reaction Score
Am I alone in this, or should Randy Edsall try to find one more QB. I don't get a good feeling about who we have. Hope I am wrong.

He's still looking @ all options:

Micah Leon‏ MicahLeon10 Apr 26
After a lot of thought and prayer, I’ve chosen to enter my name into the NCAA Transfer Portal, I want to thank all of the NC State coaches and staff for supporting me and helping me in furthering my college career. I am excited and looking forward to the plans that God has for me

Micah Leon @MicahLeon10 16 hours ago
Had a great visit with @RandyEdsall and the uconn coaches this weekend and I’m thankful for the scholarship offer from @UConnFootball

Leon was a walk-on to NC State coming out of high school in Florida in 2017 and getting buried on NC State QB depth chart.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ha.. I'm surprised that comment was still available to comment on because I deleted it right after I posted it> I figured it wasn't worth the debate that the process changed significantly during/after Edsall's first season back (which is what I thought you meant by the "he needed to embrace this immediately upon being re-hired" comment).

Yeah, I was just thinking about it broadly. I think he underestimated how much losing would lead to more losing and hurt his ability to improve the roster. He's not a short-cut kind of guy. But Bill Snyder won a lot of games at K-State and built it from the worst D1 team in the country relying on a lot of JUCOs (which of course are more prevalent in KS).

A season like last year is just devastating to Edsall's ability to attract players. He should have done more, done anything, to avoid that. A four win team is one you can sell as being close to bowl ready if the right guys come. The worst defense in history? How do you sell that?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was just thinking about it broadly. I think he underestimated how much losing would lead to more losing and hurt his ability to improve the roster. He's not a short-cut kind of guy. But Bill Snyder won a lot of games at K-State and built it from the worst D1 team in the country relying on a lot of JUCOs (which of course are more prevalent in KS).

A season like last year is just devastating to Edsall's ability to attract players. He should have done more, done anything, to avoid that. A four win team is one you can sell as being close to bowl ready if the right guys come. The worst defense in history? How do you sell that?
You sell it by telling recruits you have a top notch defensive coordinator who has coached many nfl all pro players and knows what it takes to make the NFL. There is immediate playing time that is not available at most P5 schools.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He's still looking @ all options:

Micah Leon‏ MicahLeon10 Apr 26
After a lot of thought and prayer, I’ve chosen to enter my name into the NCAA Transfer Portal, I want to thank all of the NC State coaches and staff for supporting me and helping me in furthering my college career. I am excited and looking forward to the plans that God has for me

Micah Leon @MicahLeon10 16 hours ago
Had a great visit with @RandyEdsall and the uconn coaches this weekend and I’m thankful for the scholarship offer from @UConnFootball

Leon was a walk-on to NC State coming out of high school in Florida in 2017 and getting buried on NC State QB depth chart.
Make this happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Exit 4 80 scholarships in use in 19 if they dont add bodies?

Yep. Might be 79 if a certain DL isn’t returning or 78 if we lose someone on offense which has been rumored.

Under the 25 man rule, I think we can add just 4..... but that 25 man rule can be played with based on early enrollment which might pull Watts, Woods and Thompkins into the prior class freeing up three more slots to allow for 7 more adds for fall 2019.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep. Might be 79 if a certain DL isn’t returning or 78 if we lose someone on offense which has been rumored.

Under the 25 man rule, I think we can add just 4..... but that 25 man rule can be played with based on early enrollment which might pull Watts, Woods and Thompkins into the prior class freeing up three more slots to allow for 7 more adds for fall 2019.

Frightening

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Frightening

I have no solid inside info, but I feel like Edsall has tried much harder to fine JUCOs this off season than last. Problem is, hard to recruit vs last seasons dismal results.

Might see an interesting game of very late transfer commits unfold in August.

I will be disappointed if we don’t pull in at least three more kids for fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom