Randy Edsall already looking forward... | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall already looking forward...

Reaction Score
Edsall will get this thing back on track. Communicating exactly what the attitude needs to be.

C

Chief00

I think we are going to see a lot of players leave the program.

Agreed. It’s nevessary to free up ships. We have a lot of needs not met by guys are the current roster. I also see one of our assistant coaches moving on.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I worry about our Dline next year. I expect one more really rough year.

My hope, and I don't know how realistic of a hope that it is, is that one of our backup OLs can make the transition to DL.

We have a bunch of folks listed as OL on the team right now and many don't have a realistic expectation of getting reps at OL. Here's the list as I think it stands today:

Campbell (So., 6'5" - 296)
Cespedes (So., 6'7" - 317)
Crozier* (RS Jr., 6'4" - 300) * if he's allowed to get an extra year
DeGeorge (RS Fr., 6'6" - 286)
Holmes (Fr., 6'3" - 351)
Hubbard (Fr., 6'3" - 307)
Leone (RS Fr., 6'6" - 316)
Newman (RS Fr., 6'3" - 276)
Oak** (RS Jr., 6'3" - 285) **not sure if he's coming back, I think he celebrated Senior Day
Peart (RS So., 6'7" - 300)
Tunstall (Fr., 6'6" - 329)
Van Demark (Fr., 6'7" - 265)
Ofori-Nyadu (3 star recruit, 6'2" - 266)
Maloney (2 star recruit, 6'8" - 275)
Rooney (2 star recruit, 6'5" - 281)
Jones (3 star recruit, 6'5" - 350)
Niedrowski (2 star recruit, 6'5" - 280)

So there it is so far, without any assistance from transfers, etc. My guess is that the 2-deep for OL will include the folks in bold, with Jones being the wild card as to whether Edsall wants him on OL or DL. I hear he's fantastic at both, so our needs will likely dictate his position. If he's as good as they say, he'll be on the 2-deep on one side of the ball or another.

Can we use some of the other guys on DL?? I have no idea, but I wouldn't be shocked if Edsall did something like that to fill our needs for next year. Not an ideal situation, though. It clearly illustrates how thin we are going to be in the trenches on both sides of the ball in terms of impact players...

Reaction Score
My hope, and I don't know how realistic of a hope that it is, is that one of our backup OLs can make the transition to DL.

We have a bunch of folks listed as OL on the team right now and many don't have a realistic expectation of getting reps at OL. Here's the list as I think it stands today:

Holmes (Fr., 6'3" - 351)
Oak** (RS Jr., 6'3" - 285) **not sure if he's coming back, I think he celebrated Senior Day

So there it is so far, without any assistance from transfers, etc. My guess is that the 2-deep for OL will include the folks in bold, with Jones being the wild card as to whether Edsall wants him on OL or DL. I hear he's fantastic at both, so our needs will likely dictate his position. If he's as good as they say, he'll be on the 2-deep on one side of the ball or another.

Can we use some of the other guys on DL?? I have no idea, but I wouldn't be shocked if Edsall did something like that to fill our needs for next year. Not an ideal situation, though. It clearly illustrates how thin we are going to be in the trenches on both sides of the ball in terms of impact players...
Hubbard in particular looked like he could fill a NG spot.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to see a lot of players leave the program.

My rough count is maybe 8-12. A lot, but probably not D-1 talent.

Holmes (Fr., 6'3" - 351)

I think Hubbard is penciled in at Center, but that's just based off what RE said at signing day. Who knows what's happened since then.

The staff wants T Jones on the OL, but he may end up at DL anyways. Any of the 5 guys we brought in in this '18 class could go either way. The 6th (Pace) seems already locked in at 3-3 DE.

One of the things we don't know is if the scheme requires both D Ends to be space eaters, or if one should be a rush end. We probably won't know for a while. Maybe we start with 3 Bigs, and switch to a rush end on obvious passing downs. Who knows ? The fall roster update will tell us a lot, even before the 2-deep comes out.

P.S. Oak did participate in Senior day. He's gone. And my bet is that 2 of these guys won't be on the roster come next summer. I think Newman is a Walk-on btw

Reaction Score
My rough count is maybe 8-12. A lot, but probably not D-1 talent.

I think Hubbard is penciled in at Center, but that's just based off what RE said at signing day. Who knows what's happened since then.

The staff wants T Jones on the OL, but he may end up at DL anyways. Any of the 5 guys we brought in in this '18 class could go either way. The 6th (Pace) seems already locked in at 3-3 DE.

One of the things we don't know is if the scheme requires both D Ends to be space eaters, or if one should be a rush end. We probably won't know for a while. Maybe we start with 3 Bigs, and switch to a rush end on obvious passing downs. Who knows ? The fall roster update will tell us a lot, even before the 2-deep comes out.

P.S. Oak did participate in Senior day. He's gone. And my bet is that 2 of these guys won't be on the roster come next summer. I think Newman is a Walk-on btw
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we see quite a few new faces come Spring semester for Spring ball... At least 2... but I wouldn't be shocked if we see 5, which isn't a stretch (shouldn't be)....

Reaction Score
Hasn't DO agreed to be one of the Lions' TV commentators?

I was traveling on Saturday and got to listen to DO as the analyst on TIC's radio broadcast. I loved the way he brought actual football knowledge to the broadcast. I wish I got to listen to a greater sample ... but I was impressed with what little I heard of him. He seems like he would do well in the booth ... much like how Tony Romo adds to CBS's games.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It’s nevessary to free up ships. We have a lot of needs not met by guys are the current roster. I also see one of our assistant coaches moving on.

If you are taking about Rhett Lashlee, it's difficult to understand why he came here in the first place (I know the challenge to prove he could turn the offense around) but it will be easy to understand why he would leave if given the right offer for him and his family. His only reason to stay here is to finish a job. Unfortunately that could be a long time. He doesn't owe UCONN anything. His agent must be pretty busy right about now. Wonder what he was thinking watching the Alabama-Auburn game?

Rhett Lashlee explains his decision to leave Auburn

If Mike Norvell leaves Memphis for Arkansas, I could see Lashlee as a candidate for Memphis. If that were the case and he were my son, sad for me to say but I would tell him to go.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ion-assistant-coach-pool-increased/315615001/

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Holmes (Fr., 6'3" - 351)

Ofori-Nyadu is 6’4 285, I think they will end up redshirting him and he’ll compete for a starting spot the following year

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ofori-Nyadu is 6’4 285, I think they will end up redshirting him and he’ll compete for a starting spot the following year

I was working off of his Rivals weight and height. So apparently they've missed on him by 2 inches and 20 pounds! It makes you wonder what else they've missed on... ;)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If you are taking about Rhett Lashlee, it's difficult to understand why he came here in the first place (I know the challenge to prove he could turn the offense around) but it will be easy to understand why he would leave if given the right offer for him and his family. His only reason to stay here is to finish a job. Unfortunately that could be a long time. He doesn't owe UCONN anything. His agent must be pretty busy right about now. Wonder what he was thinking watching the Alabama-Auburn game?

Rhett Lashlee explains his decision to leave Auburn

If Mike Norvell leaves Memphis for Arkansas, I could see Lashlee as a candidate for Memphis. If that were the case and he were my son, sad for me to say but I would tell him to go.

Mike Norvell receives contract extension at Memphis; assistant coach salary pool increased

He's not going anywhere. Our offense was a bit better than last year, but it still sucked. He could move to a marginally better job, but no way will he get a HC gig

Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere. Our offense was a bit better than last year, but it still sucked. He could move to a marginally better job, but no way will he get a HC gig

I want Lashlee to stay, no question but to say our offense was a bit better is not the correct characterization. Consider that we improved in total offense from. 123rd to 53rd, 310 YPG in 2016 to 415 YPG in 2017 an increase of 33%. Nine more TD's 35 up from 24. 37% increase. Total yards up from 4,034 to 4,982, a 23.5% increase. Lashlee along with Grimes should get coaching credits for the improvement.

Coaches have agents. Opportunities arise. You never know. I am hoping both he and Grimes stay another year. Our offense was okay, especially when you consider the young Offensive line but it didn't suck. What REALLY SUCKED was the defense!

His resume includes SEC schools and accomplishments. The purpose here was to prove he could run his own offense. Another year would be good for him but if the right offer comes, he could go.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom