Random thoughts | The Boneyard

Random thoughts

Reaction Score
People are saying our offense is great, but it just doesn't look like the past when people never stopped moving. Katie Lou would run so much the defense would grab her shirt to slow her down. I remember watching a film and the commentator pointed out, watch the ball and how many times it hits the floor. The play had 7 passes, fast and crisp, and never touched the floor once. Last person got it, wide open, shot, score. This year I see a lot of standing around and a lot of dribbling.

We seem to get a lot of breakaway layups blocked from behind. Seems like that is because our player is shooting the layup from above the right shoulder, so the ball can be reached. I always loved Maya doing the run out and she would do a finger roll with her arm stretched out front. No way someone from behind could touch the ball without fouling. Of course, saying people are not like Maya is kind of like saying they are not like Superman, what is wrong with them. But I have high standards for our ladies.

Have other coaches finally figured out how to attack the UConn helping/switching defense. Would make sense that other coaches would watch it and figure out ways to beat it. Or we may just be slow at all 5 positions. We thought Audrey was quick, but she seems to be beatable, especially last night. Mir might be quick, but have not seen enough of her. E seems good, but not quick, not great. CW just seems to get blown by a lot.

Agree with poster who said Liv and Edwards seem to bring the ball down low and let the guards hack away. After 2.5 seasons, I guess it will not change for Liv. As for Edwards, I was expecting so much since she was on the Canadian National team. Maybe not team USA, but still pretty elite. Now I am guessing she was put on the team to get some experience working out with the elders, even though not yet ready, they see the potential. They let her play 5 or 10 minutes, just go hard, don't worry about fouling, game here is rougher than college, more contact allowed, and you won't play enough minutes to ever foul out. Or am I wrong, was she in fact a starter for them, or played 20 minutes? With all the Covid disruptions and delays, she and the other freshman are not as experienced on Jan 31 as freshman have been in the past, not as much time in the gym with the coaches. So therefore pleased with where she is at this stage, along with Nika and Mir, but they need to work extra hard to make up for all they have missed.

Reaction Score
Good post. In the past there were some great UConn defense against top teams that would shut them down. The thing that made the UConn really great was the intensity that the players of the day use to approach that defense. I rember watching MoJet just follow an opposing player like glue even going out of bounds with her on the pass to take the ball out.

Reaction Score
Good post. In the past there were some great UConn defense against top teams that would shut them down. The thing that made the UConn really great was the intensity that the players of the day use to approach that defense. I rember watching MoJet just follow an opposing player like glue even going out of bounds with her on the pass to take the ball out.
MoJeff, special player. We took for granted what a shut down defender she was. I mean she was Elite. I would take someone half as good as her right now.

Reaction Score
What troubles me is the lack of hustle that has always characterized Coach Geno teams. How many times have we seen this year our players out hustled to loose balls, or out rebounded? And the failure of ONO to dominate under the boards with her 6'5" frame against an undersized Arkansas team was painful to acknowledge. This is not one of Coach Geno's usual scrappy, dive-for-the-ball, do anything you can to win, sort of team. They need a fire lit under them. Not yet....

Reaction Score
People are saying our offense is great, but it just doesn't look like the past when people never stopped moving. Katie Lou would run so much the defense would grab her shirt to slow her down. I remember watching a film and the commentator pointed out, watch the ball and how many times it hits the floor. The play had 7 passes, fast and crisp, and never touched the floor once. Last person got it, wide open, shot, score. This year I see a lot of standing around and a lot of dribbling.

We seem to get a lot of breakaway layups blocked from behind. Seems like that is because our player is shooting the layup from above the right shoulder, so the ball can be reached. I always loved Maya doing the run out and she would do a finger roll with her arm stretched out front. No way someone from behind could touch the ball without fouling. Of course, saying people are not like Maya is kind of like saying they are not like Superman, what is wrong with them. But I have high standards for our ladies.

Have other coaches finally figured out how to attack the UConn helping/switching defense. Would make sense that other coaches would watch it and figure out ways to beat it. Or we may just be slow at all 5 positions. We thought Audrey was quick, but she seems to be beatable, especially last night. Mir might be quick, but have not seen enough of her. E seems good, but not quick, not great. CW just seems to get blown by a lot.

Agree with poster who said Liv and Edwards seem to bring the ball down low and let the guards hack away. After 2.5 seasons, I guess it will not change for Liv. As for Edwards, I was expecting so much since she was on the Canadian National team. Maybe not team USA, but still pretty elite. Now I am guessing she was put on the team to get some experience working out with the elders, even though not yet ready, they see the potential. They let her play 5 or 10 minutes, just go hard, don't worry about fouling, game here is rougher than college, more contact allowed, and you won't play enough minutes to ever foul out. Or am I wrong, was she in fact a starter for them, or played 20 minutes? With all the Covid disruptions and delays, she and the other freshman are not as experienced on Jan 31 as freshman have been in the past, not as much time in the gym with the coaches. So therefore pleased with where she is at this stage, along with Nika and Mir, but they need to work extra hard to make up for all they have missed.
Is it fair to compare this team to the past? Can you compare say last years Notre Dame team to its team 5 years ago? Different players in the same system doesn't mean the same results. And every team has had some Covid disruptions. This team is good not great but its the only team we have..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is one key difference between the last 2 UConn teams and the 7 that preceded them. In the 7 seasons that preceded, UConn had tremendous low post offensive players in Tuck & Pheesa, who both possessed an exceptional array of quick and effective moves, that forced teams to focus on them, spreading the floor for UConn’s guards and wings to get open looks.

This season, Liv is the primary low post option. While she is better this season, she still takes a long time to get to her offensive move in the blocks, and she is not anywhere near as efficient as Tuck or Pheesa.

The truth is that 7 years of Tuck/Pheesa spoiled us. They were both 1st team AA’s who not only could score in the paint seemingly at will, but they could also drag their defenders outside because they could knock down 3’s.

Reaction Score
There is one key difference between the last 2 UConn teams and the 7 that preceded them. In the 7 seasons that preceded, UConn had tremendous low post offensive players in Tuck & Pheesa, who both possessed an exceptional array of quick and effective moves, that forced teams to focus on them, spreading the floor for UConn’s guards and wings to get open looks.

This season, Liv is the primary low post option. While she is better this season, she still takes a long time to get to her offensive move in the blocks, and she is not anywhere near as efficient as Tuck or Pheesa.

The truth is that 7 years of Tuck/Pheesa spoiled us. They were both 1st team AA’s who not only could score in the paint seemingly at will, but they could also drag their defenders outside because they could knock down 3’s.
Agree ..except to me Liv is the same as last season not really better but still serviceable....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You gotta remember how young and inexperienced this team is with the UCONN offense.

We have 2 players with 2 years experience
2 players with 1 year experience
7 players with 0 years experience

We have NO 4 year seniors on the team. First time since 2006-2007.

Very talented team, but very young.

Reaction Score
In regards to the OP and Edwards-- I am completely different. I felt she would probably be in the core of at least 7 and as part of that be at least the backup center. I had no idea other than that.

While the OP apparently had very high expectations and is now a bit disappointed. For me I am thrilled with her. Thrilled. I cared very little about Canada other than the core of 7 in terms of expectations for her this year.

And I never bought into that she was going to be a sf (and someone mentioned that early on the UCONN website had her listed as a f/g).

Reaction Score
What troubles me is the lack of hustle that has always characterized Coach Geno teams. How many times have we seen this year our players out hustled to loose balls, or out rebounded? And the failure of ONO to dominate under the boards with her 6'5" frame against an undersized Arkansas team was painful to acknowledge. This is not one of Coach Geno's usual scrappy, dive-for-the-ball, do anything you can to win, sort of team. They need a fire lit under them. Not yet....
I thought the same. I couldn't remember the last time a UConn player hit the floor for a loose ball.

Reaction Score
I agree, it seems like Geno is having to teach effort to some of the players - which we haven’t seen much of in the past.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought the same. I couldn't remember the last time a UConn player hit the floor for a loose ball.

My issue is that we don't seem to show the effort with hands up to contest 3pt shots. Yes, it may be too far but get the hand up.

I am fine with Paige and Evina not going head first into scrums. Please put them in bubble wrap. ?

Reaction Score
Is it fair to compare this team to the past? Can you compare say last years Notre Dame team to its team 5 years ago? Different players in the same system doesn't mean the same results. And every team has had some Covid disruptions. This team is good not great but its the only team we have..

Following on to Fairfield Fan's post, some of the key characteristics of UConn basketball are hustle, fire, and the will to dominate and win. They may be different players year-to-year, but Geno looks for these characteristics when recruiting. I recall reading somewhere (I don't know where or when, so please don't ask for a link) that Geno regards recruiting teams like fitting puzzle pieces together. When all the pieces fit together perfectly, then we get teams like 1995, the TASSK Force, the DT-led teams, the Maya Moore/Tina Charles teams, and Stewie/Tuck/MoJeff. But when pieces are missing - remember that UConn recruited and missed on Charli Collier and Aliyah Boston, who would have been members of this team - the results are less than the perfection of the teams cited above.

So, yes, maybe it is fair to compare this team to the past. I suggest training this team using video of these former players. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Video of players like Jennifer Rizzotti, Jamelle Elliott, Shea Ralph, Barbara Turner, Willnet Crockett, Jessica Moore, Renee Montgomery, Kalana Greene, Ashley Battle, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, etc. - players known for their hustle and guts, as well as their skill, and specific clips of them demonstrating this - might give some perspective to the present players as to what is expected of them. These players I cited here were not the "big stars" of the team; however, they gave their utmost to help the team to win. And they brought that every game.

The present team members are all there for a reason: Geno thought they were good enough to be his puzzle pieces. They might be inspired enough by the players of the past to want to take the next step and develop the self-discipline it takes to continue that legacy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Your thoughts and observation are not random at all they are accurate and quite astute.

Reaction Score
I agree, it seems like Geno is having to teach effort to some of the players - which we haven’t seen much of in the past.
Overreaction? Rewatched the AK game and ONO was fine on the defensive boards. Seemed like everyone ran hard. The primary issues were stopping one of the great competitive performances of the year, horrid shooting by Williams, slow reaction by ONO to double teams, and an offensive system that seems to bog down every game. Is putting more players in who can't shoot, are slower on defense than the existing starters, etc.?

Reaction Score
Overreaction? Rewatched the AK game and ONO was fine on the defensive boards. Seemed like everyone ran hard. The primary issues were stopping one of the great competitive performances of the year, horrid shooting by Williams, slow reaction by ONO to double teams, and an offensive system that seems to bog down every game. Is putting more players in who can't shoot, are slower on defense than the existing starters, etc.?
Nothing to lose by trying that...What's the worse thing that can happen? A loss...so what...they will be the BE champions and will go the dance whether they lose 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 games..

Reaction Score
I am talking about all the players in all aspects of the game (offense, defense, ball movement, help defense, sense of urgency, killer instinct, etc.) While not awful all the time, anyone who has played competitive sports could see what I am saying. Forget just the loose balls, how about the number of blow bys on defense and getting beat back on break?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You gotta remember how young and inexperienced this team is with the UCONN offense.

We have 2 players with 2 years experience
2 players with 1 year experience
7 players with 0 years experience

We have NO 4 year seniors on the team. First time since 2006-2007.

Very talented team, but very young.
yahtse! bingo....

Reaction Score
My issue is that we don't seem to show the effort with hands up to contest 3pt shots. Yes, it may be too far but get the hand up.

I am fine with Paige and Evina not going head first into scrums. Please put them in bubble wrap. ?

Reaction Score
I agree that our 3 point defense is weak, hands are very low protecting for a drive. Both the St Johns game and ARK we got beat badly on 3 pointers. When were playing man to man, were afraid of getting beat by apparently quicker guards. Anna is particularly playing well off her opponent and thus get beat along with Williams a lot. Perhaps we should play more 3/2 zone to take away these three point shooters, two of which recently scorched us for well over 30 points each. Additionally, Ododa would be in better position to block drives rather than having to rotate back and thus a step slow. This puts her in more foul trouble on a regular basis. It was good to see two of our bigs and Mir doing a great job rebounding last nite. These three are a tough defensive assignments for most teams.

Reaction Score
Aubrey hit the floor last night for a loose ball in her limited time if I am not mistaken. In general though I don't disagree. There is a different feel about this team, but as was pointed out, this is a work in progress. I see the pendulum swinging now away from CW and towards Paige as the primary scoring option and I see that only helping CW because it takes pressure off her psychologically and also opens the offensive court up for her actually. I also think that Evina was talked to about shooting more and that she has been pressing in that regard. I worry about her endurance also because this is her first full season in two years and a very rough one at that. Liv is not going to suddenly change. The deficiencies, like bringing the ball down where it can be stolen even after a rebound are likely here to stay. Geno turned the team around last year after 3 big time losses to top tier teams and he has his eyes on the prize with this team too. Defense is desire, offense is skill. These kids have to really want this as much as we, the loyal followers, do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom