Random though re WVU | The Boneyard

Random though re WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
So I was just over on their board (which if you aren't aware is unreliable at best) and they were discussing the acc. In their mind, and I tend to agree, there is a block of football schools who want them in the conference (fsu, vt, clemson) and an equally vocal group who do not want them (duke, unc, mud). What is most interesting about this is all indications is we have the opposite problem, the football block does not want us and the bball does. Assuming nd turns down the acc could the ultimate compromise be a pairing of WVU and UConn to the acc? Seems like this approach would sufficiently appease all factions of the conference and does far more for stability than UConnand Rutgers.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a tweet and a tshorm of controversey about the tweet, about WVU getting rejected by the SEC and the ACC? Did anything clear come out of that in the end?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So I was just over on their board (which if you aren't aware is unreliable at best) and they were discussing the acc. In their mind, and I tend to agree, there is a block of football schools who want them in the conference (fsu, vt, clemson) and an equally vocal group who do not want them (duke, unc, mud). What is most interesting about this is all indications is we have the opposite problem, the football block does not want us and the bball does. Assuming nd turns down the acc could the ultimate compromise be a pairing of WVU and UConn to the acc? Seems like this approach would sufficiently appease all factions of the conference and does far more for stability than UConnand Rutgers.
Reasonable compromise.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The rejection to the acc was, by all accounts, due to academics which fits the theory I proposed above. I think a pairing of WVU with a good academic profile and a powerhouse basketball team would get them over that hurdle.

P.S. Anybody know how to edit the title of this thread (damn iPad)

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a tweet and a tshorm of controversey about the tweet, about WVU getting rejected by the SEC and the ACC? Did anything clear come out of that in the end?
Yes, a few posts guarenteeing an invite based on info from an inside source weeks ago. The board lost its in excitement when it was tweeted. Then lost its in anger when that date came and went. There is a bipolar-ness to that board. It is up and down like nothing I've ever seen. People making objective rationale posts are crucified by the mob if that post doesn't involve WVU in the SEC or B12. Others making ridiculous posts from "inside sources" that have WVU in the SEC are praised. They've been expecting an invite to a new conference "tomorrow" everyday for the past 3 weeks. It is incredible over there.

Reaction Score
Other than Academics, WVU makes tons of sense for the ACC (forget TV markets - see Nebraska to B1G). WVU would be a top football program, add depth in football to the weaker ACC North, and made for TV rivalries with Pitt, Maryland, VTech and Virginia.

Would love to go to the ACC with them. And hopefully RU lands on their feet in the B1G; UL, UC to Big XII. Sorry USF :(

Reaction Score
Clemson or WV? What's the difference? They let Clemson in. Why not WV?

The academic angle is totally overrated anyway.

I spent a week on UCal-SD's campus just recently and was blown away. I've been to big campuses all over America and this one was the showstopper. People there from top Euro institutions thought they were in another world. Shows that you can have a world class institution that just doesn't really care about bigtime sports. That school is easily right up there with Virginia and North Carolina--how irrelevant all this is for the vast vast majority of schools.

Reaction Score

I spent a week on UCal-SD's campus just recently and was blown away. I've been to big campuses all over America and this one was the showstopper. People there from top Euro institutions thought they were in another world. Shows that you can have a world class institution that just doesn't really care about bigtime sports. That school is easily right up there with Virginia and North Carolina--how irrelevant all this is for the vast vast majority of schools.

Upstater, I'm getting on a plane tomorrow for UCSD parents weekend. Our kid is going there. Viva La Jolla!!

Reaction Score
Upstater, I'm getting on a plane tomorrow for UCSD parents weekend. Our kid is going there. Viva La Jolla!!

You obviously have a very smart kid. I would be thrilled if mine went there. Unbelievable school. Have a brew at Porter's Pub for me.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

This is the 4th or 5th time you have taken a shot at Clemson's academics. CU is not a bad school at all (according to US News rankings) and I have no idea why you continually disrespect them. Did a Clemson grad run over your dog and then have sex with your wife?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

UC-SD or USD? USD is amazing. Club Med.

Reaction Score
Clemson was an original (1953) ACC member as was South Carolina. Whose academics do you think were worse?

Reaction Score
This is the 4th or 5th time you have taken a shot at Clemson's academics. CU is not a bad school at all (according to US News rankings) and I have no idea why you continually disrespect them. Did a Clemson grad run over your dog and then have sex with your wife?

It's just not a good school. Simple as that. Why do you have a problem with that? All its metrics are well below those of other ACC schools. Look at Carnegie rankings or the NRCs, they are laid out as spreadsheets. Clemson shows very poor breadth of research, with only one top program, agricultural economics. So, when people blast other schools like WV as not having the standing for the ACC, I simply point out that Clemson is in that conference. Get it? I know you have no idea why I disrespect them. But look at their metrics. They are low. Low research, low support, low productivity. Schools like Cincy outproduce them and have better support.

Reaction Score
Let's invite UC-SD! (Cool library.)

How the heck is UC-SD already ranked as the 8th best public university in the country?!

Reaction Score
Let's invite UC-SD! (Cool library.)

How the heck is UC-SD already ranked as the 8th best public university in the country?!

I dug the Dr. Seuss sculpture.
I would rank it higher than 8th. It's in UVa, Michigan, range.

Reaction Score
It's just not a good school. Simple as that. Why do you have a problem with that? All its metrics are well below those of other ACC schools. Look at Carnegie rankings or the NRCs, they are laid out as spreadsheets. Clemson shows very poor breadth of research, with only one top program, agricultural economics. So, when people blast other schools like WV as not having the standing for the ACC, I simply point out that Clemson is in that conference. Get it? I know you have no idea why I disrespect them. But look at their metrics. They are low. Low research, low support, low productivity. Schools like Cincy outproduce them and have better support.

Now don't go confusing us with facts boy. Answer the man's question. You're making my hair hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom