Random Pitt Question For Uconn Fans | The Boneyard

Random Pitt Question For Uconn Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitt was asked into the ACC because they really want to strengthen their basketball league while grabbing decent football teams. My question is this... Pitt always performs well in the big east because they are very physical but come tourney time when the refs start calling the game closer they tend to vastly under perform. Do you think that Pitt will be a mediocre team or top echelon in the ACC when they get down there?

Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, I don't care what happens to Pitt. Adios.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Pitt is going to get pitted in the ACC. They'll begin to lose their identity. They'll be marginalized by the style of play and a weaker presence in the City will hurt recruiting as well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if recruiting NYC will fall off (shy of a drop in overall performance) as a) ACC schools have recruited NYC since the mid 1950's and b) Pitt has feasted on city players who are a bit below the top rung in terms of exposure while in HS.

I am very confident however that Pitt's style of play will not fly in Durham or Chapel Hill. Without major alterations to how they defend, Pitt may become the first team ever to have an entire starting lineup foul out before halftime.

Reaction Score
I wish you well in the ACC and will miss all the battles we had, especially in the BE Tourney. But to answer your question, there's no way the ACC refs are going to let you intimidate UNC or Duke with those BE physical tactics. You'll be fouling out a lot of your guys by halftime.

Reaction Score
I don't know if recruiting NYC will fall off (shy of a drop in overall performance) as a) ACC schools have recruited NYC since the mid 1950's and b) Pitt has feasted on city players who are a bit below the top rung in terms of exposure while in HS.

I am very confident however that Pitt's style of play will not fly in Durham or Chapel Hill. Without major alterations to how they defend, Pitt may become the first team ever to have an entire starting lineup foul out before halftime.

Jamie Dixon is a good coach, and may very well be able to adjust in terms of style of play and recruiting. But can Pitt get away with the way they win in the Big East in the ACC -- hell to da no.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, I agree that they'll have problems adjusting to the less physical style of play in the ACC. But on the other, they will continue to be a top team for 2 reasons. The ACC is a 2 horse race right now, so even if they fall off some, they'll still be better than most of the dreck in that league. And, its the ACC so if they are even just slightly better than average, they'll get the benefit of the doubt and Dukie V. will sing their praises every night. Probably they won't often win the league, but they will regualrly get to the round of 32 just like thdy do in the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jamie Dixon is a good coach, and may very well be able to adjust in terms of style of play and recruiting. But can Pitt get away with the way they win in the Big East in the ACC -- hell to da no.

Agreed, but the adjustment may very well make them more successful in the post-season.

Reaction Score
If Pitt advances in hte tourney it wont be becase they are in the ACC it will be due to the fact that if you keep making the tourney with a good team eventually you will break through.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Pitt advances in hte tourney it wont be becase they are in the ACC it will be due to the fact that if you keep making the tourney with a good team eventually you will break through.

Pitt is never going to break through until they change their style. In 5 NCAA games you will run into a group of refs that will not permit that style. Happens to them every year.

Reaction Score
That isn't what I said. I said they could well have lesser teams than they currently produce but due to the weakness of the ACC beyond the big 2, they'll still A. win their share of games; and B.qualify for the tournament. Once there, however, they will continue their post seaosn futility I suspect, in part because they will forever be over-rated as a result of being in the ACC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A lot of good ideas. The answer is no one knows. JD is a great coach and great coaches know how to adjust. Pitt will be fine, but JD most likely will have to change the style of play because that style will be penalized in the ACC, and recruit different types of players.

I'm going to miss the battles vs. Pitt and Cuse. But who knows, they may end up happening in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom