Rallying for a Strong Duke Program | The Boneyard

Rallying for a Strong Duke Program

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On the transfer thread, it was noted that Duke lost a promising player to the portal and most, if not all of us on here, certainly recognize that Joanne P. McCallie is not a "top notch" coach that her resume and "perception" seem to indicate. Peeling back the covers shows a once proud program that is slowly, very slowly decaying away. Death by a thousand cuts if you will. Honestly, my view is biased towards what Gail Goestenkors did (396-99; 179-55; 13 conference regular and/or tournament titles) as the program previously had Debbie Leonard (212-190; 69-119 from '77-92) and it was nothing special. Whereas Gail had 13 consecutive NCAA tournament trips and in her last 10 years, she finished 1st or 2nd. When she left, the cupboard was fully stocked and supplied.

Like I said, on the surface, JPM (as she is derisively know) has done fairly well with her own record of 330-107; 150-56 and 7 conf titles. However in the last 7 years, she's only had two 2nd place seedings (tied both times). I would say that the ACC is significantly more competitive now with ND and Louisville in its ranks but still this is underwhelming. Her OOC is often littered with pathetic mid-major programs, not the might and muscle of the other P5s that once appeared regularly. This years squad had talent galore with the 5th year players and seniors on the squad (the last of her elite recruiting) yet they still struggled early on and really did not have a signature win. Yee gads, they had many too close for comfort wins that should have been cake-walks. Add in her communication troubles from 4 years ago that despite the AD giving her an extension after the program review, this is a program clearly in decline.

As many of us note with the Karen Aston and Holly Warlick situations, one driven by a player revolt and the other astutely noted by the AD, changes did occur with coaches who could recruit but not develop and underachieved with their "brand" names. The Duke situation is identical to both of these on many levels. While JPM is not fully inept on the offensive coaching schemes as Karen and Holly were, she's no MM, Tara or Geno either. Heck JPM makes Brenda look like a savant by comparison. But her school, basketball tradition on both Men's and Women's sides, a basketball crazy state, seem like a great situation. Where's the Athletic Department's drive to get back on top? They are paying JPM significant money at $1.1 million plus per year, 3rd in the ACC and around 10th-14th nationally. Does anyone really view Duke at an annual top 15 program any more? Heck, they can't even get a legacy recruit to include them in her top 5, let alone pick them.

While I enjoyed a years reprieve from ND, I did miss @Dillon77 @Orangutan and their insight on this board. ND will rebound with a top 5 class coming in (worries about '21 and '22 abound though). While we still have @triaddukefan he's removed his Duke meme and @CamrnCrz1974 is only an infrequent poster now. I often poke fun, but I do feel their pain and wish we could see the future bright for them, like we mostly do for ND.

How can we start a letter writing campaign to the AD to point out how this program needs a new direction?

What say you my brethren?
:)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One thing I was curious about... if there is no 2020-2021 season...... does McCallie get an extra year? @CamrnCrz1974
Jumping in here, con su permiso:

Not contractually, I don't think. Contracts have a start date and end date; they're not AFAIK for a specified number of (non-canceled) seasons.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
How could you not extend her? She loves Duke and is one of us :rolleyes:
Image result for that's wrong meme

Reaction Score
I was living in Greensboro in 1999 when Duke upset UT. I watched it from my house and was in total shock at the outcome. I immediately developed a like for Gail G and what she was doing.

I drove over to Cameron a few times and watched them play a few times. It is the best place I've ever watched a basketball game and the campus is sublime. Granted it's incredibly expensive and I know for a fact my grades and test scores weren't good enough to get accepted but I definitely enjoyed being in the area.

I remember being surprised when Duke lost to Rutgers in what would be Goestenkors last game as coach. She seemingly made a good decision to leave for Austin and I figured she would be succesful.

JPM didn't seem like a bad hire at the time as she had a great FF run just before then. She seemed like a good match on the surface but safe to say she's underachieved significantly, especially when you consider all the talent she had in those early seasons. The program has drifted, not fallen off a cliff, but it seems like it's been forever since Duke was in the running for top recruits I definitely think they have the potential to be Stanford like for the East but for whatever reason it hasn't happened.

I no longer live in NC but was originally planning to visit again in the fall and see a friend (hopefully we can still get together) but I do wish Duke would make a solid run at a top flight coach and stop accepting the middle of the pack status they have currently inherited.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Barry knows better than I do, but if McCallie is not given a contract extension (and I have seen nothing to indicate that she will), recruiting will suffer in the short term. If next season is her last year, and her contract is not renewed, everyone who recruits against Duke will use that against them. The only kids Duke will get for hoops will be kids who simply want "Duke".

There was a recent example of a player who's mom played for Duke, and Duke wasn't even in her final list of schools to consider.

If she's gone after next season, Duke will need to hire someone quickly if possible so they can start their own relationships and recruiting. Just my $.02, but I think it will get worse before it gets better for Duke in the short term...

@CamrnCrz1974
@ucbart

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Barry knows better than I do, but if McCallie is not given a contract extension (and I have seen nothing to indicate that she will), recruiting will suffer in the short term. If next season is her last year, and her contract is not renewed, everyone who recruits against Duke will use that against them. The only kids Duke will get for hoops will be kids who simply want "Duke".

There was a recent example of a player who's mom played for Duke, and Duke wasn't even in her final list of schools to consider.
Eric, I highlighted your comments for further clarity that certainly our Duke colleagues can extoll on. As I noted in the top 10 HG thread, McCallie has had 1 Top 10 player in the past 4 years (Odom) and 5 years ago she had a stellar recruiting class but that class of Salvadores, Lambert, Primm, Suggs and Gorecki really didn't play out well for whatever reasons. When JPM has had a top recruit in recent years, they did not improve. Honestly, only Gorecki has shown remarked improvement. In the 4 years of classes since Odom in 2016, the highest rated player is #14 Jade Williams (2017) who, like Odom, has not really improved to the level you would hope her ranking would indicate and that's as a Junior. The sophomore, freshman class and the class joining this fall (2020) are all underwhelming. The highest rank of these 3 classes is #37. That is a clear indicator the this is no longer an elite program-to wit #97, #57, #61, #65, #77 and #84 are all the class rankings on this roster for next year to go with #37. If JPM was known for development, I would say that's an "ok roster" but JPM is not known for that and this roster is void of any "stars" to drive the program forward...
As far as Payton Verhulst who chose Louisville, why would she choose Duke when Stanford, ND, Louisville are all clamoring for your services?
Any coach with some actual coaching up skills and less abrasive personality will succeed immediately. But will the AD see through the "smoke and mirrors" is the question

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom