OT: Raleigh vs Charleston | The Boneyard

OT: Raleigh vs Charleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
My wife and I are thinking about retiring to one of those two cities. We know Charleston reasonably well. Is there anyone out there that lives in the Raleigh area that can give me some feedback on living there? Things to do? Arts/Culture? Entertainment? Good golf courses? Good golf developments to look at moving to?

Reaction Score
Raleigh is great. Been here five or so years now, and don't see myself ever moving back to CT. Tons of golf courses, not sure about which golf communities to recommend to live in though, budget will drive that. With the universities, there's plenty of arts and entertainment, sports, etc. throughout the year. Overall, great place to live.

Reaction Score
My wife and I are thinking about retiring to one of those two cities. We know Charleston reasonably well. Is there anyone out there that lives in the Raleigh area that can give me some feedback on living there? Things to do? Arts/Culture? Entertainment? Good golf courses? Good golf developments to look at moving to?

You'll get to see Duke play a tourney home game every other year...

geordi

Reaction Score
You'll get to see Duke play a tourney home game every other year...
No! No! I wanted some POSITIVE feedback about Raleigh! Of course, there is an option. Remember the story about the guy who left a bottle of cognac on Edgar Allen Poe's grave all those years? I could drop a load on the front steps of Cameron in the middle of the night once a year.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I could drop a load on the front steps of Cameron in the middle of the night once a year.

I pissed on the Krzyzewskiville sign so you would be in good company.
800px-Krzyzewskiville_lawn2.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No! No! I wanted some POSITIVE feedback about Raleigh! Of course, there is an option. Remember the story about the guy who left a bottle of cognac on Edgar Allen Poe's grave all those years? I could drop a load on the front steps of Cameron in the middle of the night once a year.

I'm pretty sure someone snuck in and left a dookie at center court a few years back.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I would also suggest looking at Charlotte, which is about halfway in between. I am from there, lived there for 15 years, and hope to move back after my time at UConn is over. Growing city, clean, and is a US Airways hub so you can get just about anywhere with a direct flight.

Reaction Score
Big difference in size between Charleston and Raleigh. C-125k, metro 700k, Ral. 425k, county 900k, metro 1.8m.

I live in Cary,160k just south of Ral. but still in same county,Wake. Other towns around Raleigh to look at. wake Forrest, north of Ral., Apex/ Cary to the south, Morrisville to the west all within the same county. Further west is Durham, Chapel Hill. All within 30 minutes of the airport, most within 15 min. . Many golf courses, excellent Arts . I40 runs East and west thru the Triangle. 45 minutes to I95, N and S.

Reaction Score
I pissed on the Krzyzewskiville sign so you would be in good company.
800px-Krzyzewskiville_lawn2.jpg

I'll tell you what would really set that pretty landscaping off perfectly. Donuts in the grass.

Reaction Score
I'm in chapel hill and plenty of variety here. I like the triangle better than Charleston personally. Charleston just seems like it gets old quickly. Tons of good golf in the area, I live on/near UNC's course. Lots of great restaurants in the area. Bin 54 in chapel hill and the famous Angus barn in Raleigh are the places to go if you want a steak.

Lots of theatre and artsy stuff in Raleigh and Dpac is in Durham. Tons of music scenes and you have to catch s Durham bulls game.

Tons of microbrews if you're into that and traffic isn't terrible for a big city. I would just recommend staying away from apex.

Worst thing about moving down here is the pizza...it sucks

Also the beach is only 2-3 hr drive

geordi

Reaction Score
Anybody know anything about the Preserve at Jordan Lake, The Governor's Club, or the areas around Macgregor Downs as far as real estate?

Reaction Score
Anybody know anything about the Preserve at Jordan Lake, The Governor's Club, or the areas around Macgregor Downs as far as real estate?
I'm curious as to how old you are and why you're interested in Raleigh and Charleston? Understand if you don't want to reply.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In your opinion, I like Savannah much more.
I thought I made that clear when I finished the sentence with imo which stands for "in my opinion", I Like Savannah as well, just a slight preference to Charleston.

Reaction Score
I thought I made that clear when I finished the sentence with imo which stands for "in my opinion", I Like Savannah as well, just a slight preference to Charleston.
Sorry, I missed that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I lived in Raleigh for a few years. Golf is pretty good, advantage for me over those other cities is there is a ton of college sporting events to attend.

Reaction Score
Preserve at Jordan lake is on a golf course but 20 minutes away from everything.
Mac Downs center of Cary. VG private CC. Gov. Club on GC in CH.
Look around Preston CC, 54 holes, site of Senior tour. Excellent. Briar Creek in Ral., relatively new on GC. new housing. I believe some retirement communities, 55 and older.

geordi

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how old you are and why you're interested in Raleigh and Charleston? Understand if you don't want to reply.
I'm 68...just retired on Jan 1. My son lives in Raleigh and my stepson lives in Pinehurst. Got another stepson in Charleston too so we are really choosing between the two.

Thanks, mcs. That's about what I was looking for. Been liking at Brier and Prestonwood too. I'll be visiting some of them tomorrow along with River Ridge, devil's ridge, and Neuse.

Thanks, guys. I need to be somewhere where there is some theater and creativity. While Charleston is still a possibility, I don't think that's as available there. I just can sit on a beach.

Reaction Score
I'm 68...just retired on Jan 1. My son lives in Raleigh and my stepson lives in Pinehurst. Got another stepson in Charleston too so we are really choosing between the two.

Thanks, mcs. That's about what I was looking for. Been liking at Brier and Prestonwood too. I'll be visiting some of them tomorrow along with River Ridge, devil's ridge, and Neuse.

Thanks, guys. I need to be somewhere where there is some theater and creativity. While Charleston is still a possibility, I don't think that's as available there. I just can sit on a beach.
I only brought up Savannah because I love the city. My folks retired down there a few years ago to a place called The Landings. It's a beautiful community less than 15 miles from downtown, it has 6 championship golf courses, great clubhouses/restaurants, a ton of tennis courts and a great fitness facility. If you 're thinking of looking outside of Raleigh and Charleston I would certainly give this a look. Savannah is a little less than 2 hours away form Charleston.

Reaction Score
I lived in Charleston for almost 10 years. It's a nice place to live but it gets brutally hot/humid in the summer. The springtimes are beautiful. There is no fall and it's as humid in the winter as it is in the summer so it feels colder than it actually is. I used to go up to Asheville every October to get my autumn fix. It's a fantastic town about 2 hours away straight up I-26. As far as culture I guess it depends on what you mean. Lots of historical stuff in Charleston but their art gallery sucks and despite the fact that they have a historic theatre (Dock Street) they can't touch Hartford Stage. They have a place (Galliard) that's comparable to the Bushnell for touring Broadway-type shows. Charleston has FANTASTIC restaurants. Really, really good. Good beaches on Isle of Palms and Folly Beach.

Coincidentally I dated a girl from Raleigh long-distance while I lived in Charleston. She was hot. Raleigh was nice, but if you've ever had a long-distance relationship you'll understand we spent most of our time, uh, inside, when I visited. Consequently I don't know too much about the town except it was a 4-hour drive from Charleston. I remember some nice countryside between her house and the interstate, though.

More coincidence...I met my ex-wife in Savannah. On St. Patrick's Day. I love Savannah and St. Patrick's Day in Savannah is a week-long party like a mini Mardi Gras. Just don't marry anyone you meet there and you'll be fine. ;) Savannah is superior to Charleston for visual arts, culture-wise. I never ate anything in Savannah except quasi-Irish carny food, so I don't really know how good their restaurants are.

Personally I'd consider Asheville, but I like a change of seasons. It's like they put Portland, ME in the mountains and gave everyone a southern accent.

Reaction Score
One thing great about Cary is an excellent senior softball league played at the USA Olympic baseball training park. Great fields ,4 of them. League is for over 50 and over 60. Two seasons each year. Spring and fall. Also if you play Pickleball we have excellent facilities with play 6-7 days each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom