Radio contract with WTIC renewed | The Boneyard

Radio contract with WTIC renewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw dez's update that IMG just renewed radio contract with WTIC. Not one mention of anything about a satellite radio contract what so ever! Hopefully they get this done!! What good is a radio contract if games can't be heard state wide?

Reaction Score
We're in the smallest state that has a D1 football program and half the state (the southern half)cant hear a football game on &%$in radio!

I hate IMG with a passion

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
FDNY - you missed something...

1) The new IMG contract got us on satellite. We're there now. Maryland game will be on XM191/something on sirius.
2) This only renews WTIC AM as the flagship. This shouldn't shock anyone - where else would they go, WEBE108?

Reaction Score
Woo hoo WTIC and IMG. Another contract full of static for us in Fairfield County.

No news about streaming? It's really annoying to listen to the WTIC pre-game show with 2012 technology--iPhone and Bluetooth speaker--and then go back to the battery-operated boombox when the streaming is shut down. Work it out, folks. Good thing I have season tickets so it's only annoying for half the season.

Reaction Score
I got this from Joe D yesterday in response to asking him the question about WTIC not being able to reach FFld Cnty

Joe D'Ambrosio (@JoeDSports)
9/12/12 12:17 PM
@AB670 we are on 1300 AM and yes, we will be on Sirius XM. First two games were already on

Sent from my iPad

Nice to see IMG help us get out of the stone age!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Woo hoo WTIC and IMG. Another contract full of static for us in Fairfield County.

No news about streaming? It's really annoying to listen to the WTIC pre-game show with 2012 technology--iPhone and Bluetooth speaker--and then go back to the battery-operated boombox when the streaming is shut down. Work it out, folks. Good thing I have season tickets so it's only annoying for half the season.

I know my phone is antiquated (Blackberry Tour purchased in June 2009), but before RIM was left in the dust, I downloaded the Nobex Radio Companion app. I can get radio stations all over the country, including WTIC for no charge. Whenever I've tried in the past, the streaming does not shut down during games. I'd imagine that the iPhone, for how great people claim it is, has the same or similar app.

Reaction Score
I know when we don't get something we want it has to be somebody's fault, but did it occur to anyone that the reason our games are not broadcast in Fairfield County is because there is not enough of an audience listening to make money on commercial sales?

Reaction Score
I know when we don't get something we want it has to be somebody's fault, but did it occur to anyone that the reason our games are not broadcast in Fairfield County is because there is not enough of an audience listening to make money on commercial sales?
You never know until you try.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There's not enough people listening to WICC, in general, never mind UConn sports. If the Yankees drop their contract, they might fold altogether.

pj

Reaction Score
If that's the case then UConn should buy the time on a small station and sell the ads itself. The exposure is more important than a few dollars here or there.

If they could find a station with a strong enough signal to reach NYC, that would be even better.

Reaction Score
I know my phone is antiquated (Blackberry Tour purchased in June 2009), but before RIM was left in the dust, I downloaded the Nobex Radio Companion app. I can get radio stations all over the country, including WTIC for no charge. Whenever I've tried in the past, the streaming does not shut down during games. I'd imagine that the iPhone, for how great people claim it is, has the same or similar app.

Couldn't find a Nobex Ap. It's all about the $$. Even the NFL has clamped down on streamaing audio for games. used to be ab;le to go to the local station where the game was and it was good. Now ya get nada... blacked-out. But you can alwqays purchase the NFL Audio package for....$$.

Reaction Score
WICC aired the men's and women's basketball games and it was great. I could listen in the car on the way home from work or while out and about on the weekends. Would love the same for football, especially for pre-game for away games. I can listen while finishing chores in time to watch game on TV.

Thanks to streaming, we listened to the entire Calhoun press conference on WTIC while we drove to College Park for Saturday's game. The rental car had Siriux/XM, which only covered Calhoun's statement, not the full presser. Streaming has value and benefits fans all over the country.

UCONN communications/media needs to do a better all-around job in Fairfield County. On the morning of the UCONN/UMASS game I listened to the WICC 5:30 am news. When the news guy didn't mention that night's game, I emailed the details to him and an offer to send him the schedule so he can talk up the games during the season. He never mentioned the UMASS game that morning (I stopped listening at 8:00 am) and hasn't mentioned either Saturday game during the Friday newscasts. No love from WICC.

Reaction Score
BL...as a Fairfield Cnty guy...you have to be irritated when you can't get the game on the radio. There is an easy way to solve it and from Joe D's tweet it looks like that problem may have been somewhat solved. The biggest thing was the Sirius/XM deal. If you have Sirius/XM you can hear Joe D and Wayne O state wide. Now that IMG owns broadcasting rights and not WTIC as was done in the past...WTIC which is...CBS Radio which is...Clear Channel who won't let their programming simulcasted on Sirius/XM...the fan base can hear games all over the country now, not just league games that are done through Big East Contract. What better way to connect to your alumni base/fan base nation wide? And from what I have heard about Manuel I am sure we will see IMG continue to work on state wide radio coverage.

Reaction Score
BL...as a Fairfield Cnty guy...you have to be irritated when you can't get the game on the radio. There is an easy way to solve it and from Joe D's tweet it looks like that problem may have been somewhat solved. The biggest thing was the Sirius/XM deal. If you have Sirius/XM you can hear Joe D and Wayne O state wide. Now that IMG owns broadcasting rights and not WTIC as was done in the past...WTIC which is...CBS Radio which is...Clear Channel who won't let their programming simulcasted on Sirius/XM...the fan base can hear games all over the country now, not just league games that are done through Big East Contract. What better way to connect to your alumni base/fan base nation wide? And from what I have heard about Manuel I am sure we will see IMG continue to work on state wide radio coverage.

Of course I'm irritated when I can't get it. Or I would be if I ever wasn't at a game or in front of my set. But you know what -- I don't know more than 2 or 3 other guys in Fairfield who would put it on anyway.i

Reaction Score
Of course I'm irritated when I can't get it. Or I would be if I ever wasn't at a game or in front of my set. But you know what -- I don't know more than 2 or 3 other guys in Fairfield who would put it on anyway.i
That is exactly what has to change...and I think Herbst and Manuel are going to take aim at the entire state...marketing places that have been long neglected...specfically Ffld Cnty! It will be interesting to see how they approach it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom