OT: - R.I.P. Don Everly | The Boneyard

OT: R.I.P. Don Everly

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The first 45 I ever bought, wore it out. It feels like all the heros of my youth have passed on.

True……and as more time passes, so do more of our heros. :( We have lost so many of our music, movie and TV personalities. Not many of them left. I remember the Everly Brothers when they made their debut.

It’s ironic the things we remember as we age. We run into a high school classmate or former coworker we haven’t seen in years and we can’t remember their name, but when we hear a song like this that we haven’t heard in over 50 years, we can still remember the words. :confused:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
The only fan club I ever joined.
We'll probably see a lot of resonses with their big hits.
But the off side of their 45's was invariably just as good as the hit IMO.

Should We Tell Him
Maybe Tomorrow by the Everly Brothers

Trips down memory lane are always enjoyable. :) It’s funny how certain songs remind us of people, places or things. There is a song that reminds me of a girl I had a crush on in high school every time I hear it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The only fan club I ever joined.
We'll probably see a lot of resonses with their big hits.
But the off side of their 45's was invariably just as good as the hit IMO.
So true, Sonny. I remember the flip side of All I Have To Do is Dream, was a cover of Roy Orbison's Claudette. That side got a lot of play too. BTW, for those too young to recognize, pictured in the YouTube Video is a 78 RPM record. 1958 was near the end of these "very breakable" shellac records.

Carnac

Reaction Score
No wonder other artists like Paul McCartney, Graham Nash, and Keith Richards raved about them so much:

One thing ALL of the popular musical vocalists have in common (then and now) is their voice(s) are distinctive. The Everly Brothers had a very distinctive sound. When you heard one of their songs, you knew right away it was them. All of the legendary greats voice could be recognized in 2-3 notes. Nat Cole, Mathis, Sinatra, Elvis, Tony Bennett, Brenda Lee, etc. No other artist sounded like them.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Brothers were heroes of my adolescence. Their music was distinctive. RIP my musical hero.
Someone should start a thread titled: Who was/are your 5 all-time favorite musical artists. Be it a band, group or soloist. I'd bet we get some pretty interesting responses. No doubt, since most of us are within 20 years of each other age-wise, respondents will name some of your favorites as well.

All of my favorites (except Johnny Mathis who is 86) are either dead, or no longer performing. Walter Becker an original founder and lead guitarist of Steely Dan passed away in 2017. Karen Carpenter left us 38 years ago in 1983 are also in my top 5. Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts (80) died a few days ago. Most the greats are gone. :( Only a scant few of them left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone should start a thread titled: Who was/are your 5 all-time favorite musical artists. Be it a band, group or soloist. I'd bet we get some pretty interesting responses. No doubt, since most of us are within 20 years of each other age-wise, respondents will name some of your favorites as well.

All of my favorites (except Johnny Mathis who is 86) are either dead, or no longer performing. Walter Becker an original founder and lead guitarist of Steely Dan passed away in 2017. Karen Carpenter left us 38 years ago in 1983 are also in my top 5. Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts (80) died a few days ago. Most the greats are gone. :( Only a scant few of them left.
The Carpenters, Eager, ABBA, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Blondie, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles are some of of my favorites.

Reaction Score
Simon and Garfunkel also. They sang Wake Up Little Susie at the Concert in Central Park in 1981 and had the Everlys join them for Bye Bye Live at MSG in 2003.

Simon and Garfunkel were somewhat contemporaries of The Everlys, their first hit (kinda), “Hey Schoolgirl” was released in 1957 under the duo name of Tom and Jerry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom