OT: - R.I.P. Charles Grodin (Wilton resident) | The Boneyard

OT: R.I.P. Charles Grodin (Wilton resident)

Curiouser
Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sad. Always loved seeing him in any movie. Especially Midnight Run. Nice body of work over a long time. Saw one headline describe him as "deliciously droll." I think that pretty much nails it.

RIP Chuck. Among the things that made him great were his appearances on Carson, where they developed an "act" that was thoroughly enjoyable and well within Grodin's character.

My brother used to handle his heating oil and had a few pops with him over the years in Grodin's garage. Said he's a pretty normal guy and actually enjoyed talking to people.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
RIP Chuck. Among the things that made him great were his appearances on Carson, where they developed an "act" that was thoroughly enjoyable and well within Grodin's character.

My brother used to handle his heating oil and had a few pops with him over the years in Grodin's garage. Said he's a pretty normal guy and actually enjoyed talking to people.

Thanks. Great clip. He also had a similar relationship with Letterman.

I've been watching old Carson episodes on MeTV. Saw one with Richard Pryor as the guest the other day and it was painful because Pryor was in pretty bad shape.

Reaction Score
MEDIA=youtube]5ytlIXSl9GI[/MEDIA]
I saw the movie when it first came out.

This scene and the movie itself and the other characters, projected then commonly held fantasies and stereotypes, as did many Woody Allen movies.

It projected Lenny's fantasies and Lila's kvetchiness. It never made clear what exactly attracted Cybill Shepherd to Lenny. She did not as I remember, tell her father or mother how much she loved Lenny as a way to persuade them.

In real life, I can only imagine a much less measured response by Kelly's father.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

Hysterical

Reaction Score
He was good in The Lonely Guy with Steve Martin as well. Loved the part where he complained that he had to pay the same price for a haircut as Michael Landon.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He was good in The Lonely Guy with Steve Martin as well. Loved the part where he complained that he had to pay the same price for a haircut as Michael Landonr.
As with "The Heartbreak Kid," "The Lonely Guy" was based on writing by Bruce Jay Friedman, who I just learned died last June at age 90, and further just learned was the father of cartoonist Drew Friedman.

Reaction Score
I loved Midnight Run and his irritated sarcastic schtick. I know a lot of people who didn't really know him, who thought that was the real him on Carson and Letterman. I might be mistaken, but I kept thinking he was good friends with Letterman and Regis Philban. Again, I might be wrong but I kept thinking Regis said he would put on the persona in public sometimes because it kept fans at a distance. They could never tell if he was really in a bad mood or if it was his act.

Reaction Score
As with "The Heartbreak Kid," "The Lonely Guy" was based on writing by Bruce Jay Friedman, who I just learned died last June at age 90, and further just learned was the father of cartoonist Drew Friedman.
Bruce Jay Friedman, Stir Crazy, Splash. That’s some funny stuff.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I only know him from being the father in Beethoven. About the big dog. I’m not that young but clearly uncultured.

Based on Seinfeld, I did know he had a talk show too though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Best Work was in Midnight Run and Taking Care of Business.

Why put your whole life in a Filofax (basically a glorified appointment book), which can be so easily lost, though? Why not have at least some cash, ID, and a credit card in money clip or thin billfold? Those did exist in 1989.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Grodin could be on screen for less than a minute and still create a memorable role. A guilty pleasure of mine is "So I Married an Axe Murderer". Grodin has a couple of very brief scenes, playing basically, Grodin.

(Steven Wright also had a hysterical bit part as a pilot and Nancy Travis was at her hottest, which makes this still worth a watch).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good stuff within: remembrances, recommendations, links, and clips. His DEADLINE obit labeled him "unrivaled talk show curmudgeon."

https://. deadline.com/2021/05/charles-grodin-steve-martin-albert-brooks-hollywood-remembers-tribute-1234759580/

Reaction Score

Talk about a comedy jewel...that clip is pure comedic genius by Grodin and Carson. They just don’t make them like they used to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom