Quinnipiac - Recruiting Update | The Boneyard

Quinnipiac - Recruiting Update

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Quinnipiac signee Sajada Bonner was named one of the top 13 girls' basketball players in the 2019 class for the state of New Jersey. As an aside, New Jersey's senior class includes two Duke signees (Azana Baines and Jaida Patrick) and two Maryland signees, plus players who signed with Arizona State, Penn State, Michigan, etc. In other words, it is a very, very talented senior class for girls' basketball in New Jersey, and Quinnipiac is getting one of the best players in the state.

Here are the excerpts regarding Sajada Bonner:

Sajada Bonner, St. John Vianney
  • Committed to Quinnipiac
  • 2017-18 stats: 12.8 PPG
  • Height: 6-0
Tale of the tape
Bonner, a true swingman with a scorer's mentality, did a little bit of everything for St. John Vianney last season. Her ability to knock down the jumper is a serious asset for a SJV team that can become unstoppable with momentum on its side, but her length makes her a ferocious defender and a player that can score off the dribble on the offensive end.

What will Bonner's role be for Vianney this season?
While Bonner's stats from a year ago might not jump off the page as a Player of the Year candidate, it's simply not the case. On a team built on balance, Bonner emerged as go-to scorer for St. John Vianney and was a big part of Vianney's rise to the No. 1 ranking for a good portion of the season. Bonner's role will likely increase on a team that has even higher expectations this season and her ability to score in bunches will be an important commodity.

Best girls basketball recruiting class ever? N.J.'s 2019 group is off the charts
By Brian Deakyne and Brandon Gould | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com |
Best girls basketball recruiting class ever? N.J.'s 2019 group is off the charts

Reaction Score
New Jersey's senior class includes two Duke signees (Azana Baines and Jaida Patrick) and two Maryland signees, plus players who signed with Arizona State, Penn State, Michigan, etc.

Notably absent from that list: the State University of New Jersey.

Reaction Score
Notably absent from that list: the State University of New Jersey.

Rutgers has not been doing a great job with NJ recruits especially those from the south of the state.............as you have stated plenty of big name schools are pulling players from NJ and even lesser schools like Seton Hall, NJIT, FDU, Monmouth, LIU, Fordham, Holy Cross, St Francis PA, Colgate, Vermont and Middle Tennesse State etc are making recruiting in the area a priority............

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rutgers has not been doing a great job with NJ recruits especially those from the south of the state...as you have stated plenty of big name schools are pulling players from NJ and even lesser schools like Seton Hall, NJIT, FDU, Monmouth, LIU, Fordham, Holy Cross, St Francis PA, Colgate, Vermont and Middle Tennesse State etc are making recruiting in the area a priority..
In large part, the players the lesser schools are pulling are probably below the level CViv would consider.

Vivian never made any inroads into the high school scene in NJ. Especially, the prep high school scene. There are probably a lot of factors at play, not just one. Contrary to reports by some, Rutgers fans have variously seen her at high school games in NJ, especially those where there is mutual interest or the player has committed. Years ago, we went to 2 high school games to see incoming recruits and she happened to be at both. Probably the only high school games we ever went to.

We talked with her and her mother shortly after she arrived at Rutgers and learned that the atmosphere in Iowa was "everyone wanted to play for State U" and she found it appalling that that is not the case in NJ. But she never solved the conundrum, and never became friendly with high school coaches. It was probably stacked against her, since TG was such a "glad hander" and also specialized in recruiting prep schools to some degree, and Viv comes off as (I am not saying is, by any means) a bit cold and isn't going to find many of the type of athletic player she has historically recruited at these schools.

Reaction Score
In large part, the players the lesser schools are pulling are probably below the level CViv would consider.

Vivian never made any inroads into the high school scene in NJ. Especially, the prep high school scene. There are probably a lot of factors at play, not just one. Contrary to reports by some, Rutgers fans have variously seen her at high school games in NJ, especially those where there is mutual interest or the player has committed. Years ago, we went to 2 high school games to see incoming recruits and she happened to be at both. Probably the only high school games we ever went to.

We talked with her and her mother shortly after she arrived at Rutgers and learned that the atmosphere in Iowa was "everyone wanted to play for State U" and she found it appalling that that is not the case in NJ. But she never solved the conundrum, and never became friendly with high school coaches. It was probably stacked against her, since TG was such a "glad hander" and also specialized in recruiting prep schools to some degree, and Viv comes off as (I am not saying is, by any means) a bit cold and isn't going to find many of the type of athletic player she has historically recruited at these schools.

Based on what I've seen of Rutgers this year, I'd say a few of those players might make their squad forgetting about Miller, Taylor, Sidor, Masonius, Correa, Patrick, and Caldwell..............that said at least for 2019 CViv went out of state with great success...............ignoring home state talent is still just plain short sided..........

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Based on what I've seen of Rutgers this year, I'd say a few of those players might make their squad forgetting about Miller, Taylor, Sidor, Masonius, Correa, Patrick, and Caldwell....that said at least for 2019 CViv went out of state with great success.....ignoring home state talent is still just plain short sided.....
Again, I don't think she ignores it. Essence Carson in particular was a NJ product, and some other lesser players. She also made a play for NY area recruits, especially. The problem, as I said, and it has been commented on by folks who know better than I would, on the Rutgers board, is that she can't get in the door with most of them - especially the prep schools - either their coach doesn't want them to go to RU or they don't want to, or a combination.

I will add that very few folks in NJ seem to like Vivian - many RU fans included. Of courses, the press portrayal was negative from the beginning - came only for the money, prevented Chris Daley from getting the job, disrespected the former coach by admitting that the state of the program brought her to tears, etc. In other parts of the country, folks who know of her speak very highly of her. So far as it goes, Rutgers is looked down on in NJ - when I was in high school, no one wanted to go there except as a back-up. I went because my family couldn't afford Wesleyan, where I was also accepted. Out of the metropolitan area, Rutgers is pretty well thought of.

Reaction Score
I will add that very few folks in NJ seem to like Vivian - many RU fans included. Of courses, the press portrayal was negative from the beginning - came only for the money, prevented Chris Daley from getting the job, disrespected the former coach by admitting that the state of the program brought her to tears, etc. In other parts of the country, folks who know of her speak very highly of her. So far as it goes, Rutgers is looked down on in NJ - when I was in high school, no one wanted to go there except as a back-up. I went because my family couldn't afford Wesleyan, where I was also accepted. Out of the metropolitan area, Rutgers is pretty well thought of.

I live in NJ, have some knowledge of girl's high school basketball and I just hear very little about Rutgers when it comes to recruiting activity.................I think they have one NJ kid on their roster at this time..................just like in football and really all sports, if Rutgers could only keep hold of a portion of their in state recruits they would be in a much better place..............as the father of a high school student I can say that plenty of bright kids still apply to Rutgers and many are happy to go there to get a very good education at less then half the price of a comparable private institution.......

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
....as the father of a high school student I can say that plenty of bright kids still apply to Rutgers and many are happy to go there to get a very good education at less then half the price of a comparable private institution..
Just to clarify - I ended up enjoying Rutgers, appreciated the quality of my education and the school, etc. But that was not how it was presented in my High School (Union High School, the Union that is in Union County next to Elizabeth). I and my fellow Rutgers bound seniors were - in general - looked down on by classmates. The only ones that were looked even more down on were those that went to what became Kean University, located essentially on the Union / Elizabeth border.

The flip side, as I grew older, was to realize how blessed I was to have been able to go to college at all, never mind the fact that my fellow students were not quite so smart as they thought - attending Harvard, Yale and Georgetown for example not withstanding.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify - I ended up enjoying Rutgers, appreciated the quality of my education and the school, etc. But that was not how it was presented in my High School (Union High School, the Union that is in Union County next to Elizabeth). I and my fellow Rutgers bound seniors were - in general - looked down on by classmates. The only ones that were looked even more down on were those that went to what became Kean University, located essentially on the Union / Elizabeth border.

The flip side, as I grew older, was to realize how blessed I was to have been able to go to college at all, never mind the fact that my fellow students were not quite so smart as they thought - attending Harvard, Yale and Georgetown for example not withstanding.

Not sure how long ago you went to college but today it's all about return on investment and in that department Rutgers is considered a very good choice when compared to many more prestigious institutions..............now if they could only get their big time sports in order they'd make us Jersey folks extra proud........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom