OT: Quinnipiac...national #2...really? | The Boneyard

OT: Quinnipiac...national #2...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Hockey is under my radar...all types of hockey from the NHL to little squirt hockey...so I was stunned when I saw a recent article that showed Quinnipiac ranked as second in the U.S. of A. Not some lower level division but the big boys....behind Minnesota I think. Quinni blew out top 10 Yale over the weekend.

Quinnipiac winning the national championship? Double yikes!
How are they doing it?

How about a double parade....UConn women and Quinnipiac hockey?

Reaction Score
You miss the thread about UConn @ Quinnipiac? Great game. We almost had it. I still can't believe they smothered Yale. Ingalls must have been quiet that night. Tickets for the home game against Yale are already sold out, over 2 weeks in advance.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
QU Hockey has a terrific program, an outstanding Arena(one of the best in USA), and fine support from the University. Sell outs, with a raucous and passionate hockey crowd...lots of fun.

Reaction Score
This is GREAT for Quinnipiac. Certainly raises their profile.

PS: I still pi**ed at them for dropping the "Brave" mascot.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The Q's women's basketball program is having a great year.

As for the name, I was hoping they would change it to something like "Wetbacks" or "Micks." You know, be all inclusive in the insulting.

Reaction Score
Do you think a school named after an Indian tribe is insulting Native Americans with the "Brave" name?

FWIW: I don't recall ever having seen a "Brave" mascot at QC. It was their nickname - like Blue Devils.

The Q's women's basketball program is having a great year.

As for the name, I was hoping they would change it to something like "Wetbacks" or "Micks." You know, be all inclusive in the insulting.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Do you think a school named after an Indian tribe is insulting Native Americans with the "Brave" name?

FWIW: I don't recall ever having seen a "Brave" mascot at QC. It was their nickname - like Blue Devils.[/quote

I get it, so I don't get so annoyed as I used to.

I will say, even though I "get it", there are many, many aspects of political correctness, including the school nickname thing, that I don't 100% agree with. I do agree that organization's nicknames should not be insulting - I'm just not sure that they were in every case.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I get it, so I don't get so annoyed as I used to.

I will say, even though I "get it", there are many, many aspects of political correctness, including the school nickname thing, that I don't 100% agree with. I do agree that organization's nicknames should not be insulting - I'm just not sure that they were in every case.

It is just easier to market Bobcats vs Braves...QU needs private support, no state taxpayer support in the budget...simple as that. Business is business.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Quinnipiac hockey has been very good for a while now. It wa ranked as high as #4 a year or two ago.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought they were named after a Disney movie.

Reaction Score
half the team is from canada, but their leading scorer and mvp from last year is from that hockey hotbed, arizona!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
half the team is from canada, but their leading scorer and mvp from last year is from that hockey hotbed, arizona!
I'm similar to Blake in that its all under my radar now, although in the 70's and 80's I was a Ranger fan. In any case, they appear to take their hockey seriously out here, there are numerous ads for the "Ice Cats" which is a team at UofA (club level, I think). And a pro team up in Phoenix, as well. 2 large articles in the local paper yesterday.

Reaction Score
I'm similar to Blake in that its all under my radar now, although in the 70's and 80's I was a Ranger fan. In any case, they appear to take their hockey seriously out here, there are numerous ads for the "Ice Cats" which is a team at UofA (club level, I think). And a pro team up in Phoenix, as well. 2 large articles in the local paper yesterday.

ah, another rangers fan. my ranger fandom goes back a bit further, rooting for the likes of "gump" worsely, andy bathgate, wally hergesheimer, and "bronco" horvath, and later, rod gilbert and jean ratelle. i can't really name anyone on their roster these days.

Reaction Score
Hockey is under my radar...all types of hockey from the NHL to little squirt hockey...so I was stunned when I saw a recent article that showed Quinnipiac ranked as second in the U.S. of A. Not some lower level division but the big boys....behind Minnesota I think. Quinni blew out top 10 Yale over the weekend.

Quinnipiac winning the national championship? Double yikes!
How are they doing it?

How about a double parade....UConn women and Quinnipiac hockey?

it's certainly under my radar. but will never forget going to boston university games when my son was a student there. i've never been at an athletic event of any kind that was as intense, loud and passionate , especially when they played boston college. in our area umass enjoys the same kind of fan passion, regularly selling out. i should go to a game, but don't think i could handle that level of noise anymore.

Reaction Score
ah, another rangers fan. my ranger fandom goes back a bit further, rooting for the likes of "gump" worsely, andy bathgate, wally hergesheimer, and "bronco" horvath, and later, rod gilbert and jean ratelle. i can't really name anyone on their roster these days.

ooops! i mean worsley, not worsely. sorry gump!

Reaction Score
Tried to get TIX this afternoon - I guess there are 3 remaining home games - STANDING ROOM ONLY!

I didn't even axe the price.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
ooops! i mean worsley, not worsely. sorry gump!
Gump was finishing his career out in Minnesota when I was watching. I think I went to my "annual" game as late as 1994 or 95, the next year was the strike and that was it. But peak fandom when Emile Francis was coach and Gilbert, Brad Park, Eddie Giacomin were thrilling the crowd. Like you, I probably couldn't name many (if any) of the current team.

Reaction Score
Another Ranger fan, here, and you're right, I don't know anyone on their current roster, now, either. If the league would stop locking out/going on strike, I would be more inclined to go out of my way to watch, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom