Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The freshmen can produce:
Letunov: 3 goals, 1 assist
Thompson: 3 assists
Gendron: 1 goal
Masonius: 1 goal

but with a team relying on youth, there will come inconsistency, both of which were on display this weekend. Two different performances this weekend.

The third period of Friday night's game was terrific. Dominated play. Even in Saturday's game, the team did control the game. There were flashes of what the team could be, just not consistent enough to sustain it for both games this weekend. UAH had a lot more energy in the third period Saturday.

The Letunov line is the number one line on the team.

Letunov is already the best offensive player on the team. He can finish and create. Great shot on the Huskies' third goal last night and nice passing up ice between him and Thompson for the Gendron goal tonight. It will be interesting to see his play as the season goes on when teams start to game plan against him.

The power play looked unimpressive this weekend. It has been a major Achilles' heel the last couple seasons and it was unimpressive again this weekend.

How will the blue line shake out? Gendron and Austin each played one game and Kunnas sat the weekend. Personally, I would like to see Gendron and Austin in the lineup game in, game out. Both bring mobility and puck movement to the lineup.

Beware of Arizona State. Even though it is their first year in D-1, they beat Alaska-Anchorage tonight and were leading Alaska-Fairbanks last night in the third period before losing in overtime.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I listened to the whus broadcast tonight but couldn't tell if it was really that sloppy with the penalties that lost the game or was it the inexperience of the backup goalie. Point being, would Nichols have made a difference tonight? I know we don't want to burn him out early especially in the non conference on a back to back coming off surgery though.

Reaction Score
One goal was a shorthand breakaway after a sloppy play in the offensive zone and the third UAH goal was a rocket from the right circle. Tough to place blame on Thulin for those.

The team is young and just was unable to put together a full sixty tonight. UConn is the more talented team but it seemed in the third UAH just wanted it more.

Reaction Score
Of the 9 teams in the USA Today top 10 that played this weekend, 7 lost a game:
#1 BC
#2 BU
#3 Minnesota-Duluth
#6 Denver
#8 Minnesota
#9 Minnesota State
#10 Miami

#4 North Dakota lost to Maine in a shootout but does not count as a lost. Both teams received a tie in the record books.

#5 Harvard did not play

#7 Providence had a win and tie against Miami

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I was at both Miami/Providence games this weekend. Providence is going to be really good again and were in mid season form Friday in a 7-3 win. Miami picked it up Sat and played more aggressively. Miami won the 3 on 3 (great concept, BTW).
Having 2 kids that graduated from Miami, I go to a lot of their games and the on campus arena is great. Every hockey game is an event and tickets are tough to get.

Reaction Score
I was at both Miami/Providence games this weekend. Providence is going to be really good again and were in mid season form Friday in a 7-3 win. Miami picked it up Sat and played more aggressively. Miami won the 3 on 3 (great concept, BTW).
Having 2 kids that graduated from Miami, I go to a lot of their games and the on campus arena is great. Every hockey game is an event and tickets are tough to get.

Providence was without their freshman sensation, Erik Foley, this weekend, too. Question for them is how big a drop will their goalie play take without Gillies there this year.

BC's freshman Miles Wood is a player already, too. Watched the game today against RPI. Kid will make some noise this year in Hockey East. Of course, they have freshmen Jeremy Bracco and Colin White, both of which should be top freshmen.

Maine might have their goalie of the future in freshman Rob McGovern. If he plays like he did this weekend the rest of the year, Maine will not be finishing where they were predicted to.

UMass freshman Austin Plevy had a hat trick and an assist opening night and the game winning goal Saturday to comeback from 3 goals to win 4-3.

Really good showing by Hockey East freshmen for the opening weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom