Quick Take | The Boneyard

Quick Take

Reaction Score
Steven Krajewski has potential - much more than Jack G - in fact I said it last week - Edsall picked wrong QB.

The Defense - why so soft? They stick 5 guys way back - all seeming to have no idea who they are covering and givie receivers a 7 yard cushion to catch and run. Please don’t worry about giving up the big play and start tightening up the D. The defense really called it in today after the 1st half, they seemed apathetic and just going through the motions.

The play that took the cake for me is in the one in the end zone when they had double coverage on the receiver - a clear INT - and the Purdue receiver somehow comes down with the ball??!!?? Luckily, the ball hit the turf but that was ridiculous.

Also who thought Spanos would miraculously turn it around in one game- this one is all on Edsall. I am willing to give Spanos 3 games to get used to his new job.

For me I only would like to see one thing happen that has not happened since B Diaco. I would love to see our team improve as the game goes on… To make adjustments in the 2nd half and start to play with some pride and smarts. It is very disheartening to see our team get worse as the game goes on - and it’s been this way for far to long. Please give us something to root for - even if we lose - I think UConn fans would appreciate some adjustments and effort.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
We do seem very concerned about giving up the big play on defense, so we play soft and tentative. Thing is, the result of this is we give up the big play.

We are going to give up big plays against good teams no matter what we do, so let's at least play with some aggression and make some big hits. If you can't win, at least leave a mark.

Reaction Score
Steven Krajewski has potential - much more than Jack G - in fact I said it last week - Edsall picked wrong QB.

The Defense - why so soft? They stick 5 guys way back - all seeming to have no idea who they are covering and givie receivers a 7 yard cushion to catch and run. Please don’t worry about giving up the big play and start tightening up the D. The defense really called it in today after the 1st half, they seemed apathetic and just going through the motions.

The play that took the cake for me is in the one in the end zone when they had double coverage on the receiver - a clear INT - and the Purdue receiver somehow comes down with the ball??!!?? Luckily, the ball hit the turf but that was ridiculous.

Also who thought Spanos would miraculously turn it around in one game- this one is all on Edsall. I am willing to give Spanos 3 games to get used to his new job.

For me I only would like to see one thing happen that has not happened since B Diaco. I would love to see our team improve as the game goes on… To make adjustments in the 2nd half and start to play with some pride and smarts. It is very disheartening to see our team get worse as the game goes on - and it’s been this way for far to long. Please give us something to root for - even if we lose - I think UConn fans would appreciate some adjustments and effort.
Steven Krajewski throws a nice ball and he can run with it. If his receivers and tight ends can learn to catch a pass we can put points on the board. That running back Burns also impressed me .

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah...I don't get why people think Steven Krajewski played well. He passed for 99 yards...and was 14 for 25 with a pick. Yes....he didn't throw a pick 6 off of his lineman's head...but he didn't play well.

I do like that he can run ...and I am hopeful he gets better. But he didn't play that great.

Reaction Score
We do seem very concerned about giving up the big play on defense, so we play soft and tentative. Thing is, the result of this is we give up the big play.

We are going to give up big plays against good teams no matter what we do, so let's at least play with some aggression and make some big hits. If you can't win, at least leave a mark.
Playing soft leads to open field tackles as the receiver has a chance to catch the ball, look up and make at least his first move. Guess what is the biggest weakness of this team (along with o-line play in general) - open field tackling.

As for Steven Krajewski, he at least showed he can throw the ball on target. That, by itself, made him better than his predecessor. Jack Zergiotis's odd and inconsistent mechanics often resulted in the ball sailing well over, beyond or just out of reach of the receiver.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah...I don't get why people think Steven Krajewski played well. He passed for 99 yards...and was 14 for 25 with a pick. Yes....he didn't throw a pick 6 off of his lineman's head...but he didn't play well.

I do like that he can run ...and I am hopeful he gets better. But he didn't play that great.
Comparatively, he looked like he had played the game of football before

Reaction Score
Few random thoughts: UConn team needs to boost its confidence. Spanos says they can do things in practice but basically it falls apart during a game. They freeze up during the game. It could be a carryover from Edsall coaching style. There also appears to be poor communication among players on the field.

I am not thrilled with this schedule this year. UConn is playing some pretty strong teams when it needs this year as a rebuilding time, Benedict might have scheduled more teams like Akron rather than P5 teams. They can come later.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I disagree. He threw a beautiful pass in the end zone that should have been a TD but was dropped somehow. He also had zero time to do anything. Finally, the drive where we kicked the FG started with a beautiful deep ball from him. Sure, looking at his stat lines don't impress, but watching the game is different.

Also, not having a INT when having less than 2 seconds to throw the ball due to our swiss cheese OLine is a HUGE accomplishment in my book.

Reaction Score
Few random thoughts: UConn team needs to boost its confidence. Spanos says they can do things in practice but basically it falls apart during a game. They freeze up during the game. It could be a carryover from Edsall coaching style. There also appears to be poor communication among players on the field.

I am not thrilled with this schedule this year. UConn is playing some pretty strong teams when it needs this year as a rebuilding time, Benedict might have scheduled more teams like Akron rather than P5 teams. They can come later.
UCONN, aside from Clemson is playing a ridiculously weak schedule. Can’t get much weaker to be honest.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

He looked like a QB. He was playing against a pretty good team and has limited game experience. Among his incompletions were 2 or 3 balls that he got off as he was being creamed with his arm being hit and luckily fell incomplete, and he’s playing behind a lousy O line. He had at least 2 dropped balls. His throwing stats don’t reflect his overall accuracy, his potential yardage (takes 2 to complete a pass) and the fact that the design was for him to make several quick passes to the deep flat, almost all of which he completed but the revivers got next to no yardage because they had no blockers.

He also made a veteran throw for an incompletion that was totally on the receiver whom he hit in the back. Was right in front of me. About a 20 yard sideline pass with the defender pinned in back. He did what he should do, threw short to the outside shoulder. The receiver was pissed at himself when he understood that he should’ve turned to catch the ball in front of the defender. Stats don’t show the whole story. He might not be Dan O but he showed much more potential than Jack Zergiotis. But you can’t draw ultimate conclusions off of one game.

Reaction Score
I disagree. He threw a beautiful pass in the end zone that should have been a TD but was dropped somehow. He also had zero time to do anything. Finally, the drive where we kicked the FG started with a beautiful deep ball from him. Sure, looking at his stat lines don't impress, but watching the game is different.

Also, not having a INT when having less than 2 seconds to throw the ball due to our swiss cheese OLine is a HUGE accomplishment in my book.

If our offensive line could have block number 5, Steven Krajewski would have had a better game. I am little concern about his fumbles. We were very lucky that we recovered all of them. Lets give Steve a couple more games before we determine if he is our best option at quarterback. He did make some good throws and used his legs well. Some of his short passes were not good but on most of his other poor passes he was getting hit when he threw the ball.

Reaction Score

Our defense seems to be capable of playing only one quarter of respectful defense a game. Conditioning? Hard to understand. We played some 3 down linemen on defense at the end of the game which is the first time I notice them doing that this year. Maybe we are going to see more wrinkles as the season goes on.

Reaction Score

Yeah…..and he was pressured all day by arguably the best defensive end in the nation.

Reaction Score
If our offensive line could have block number 5, Steven Krajewski would have had a better game. I am little concern about his fumbles. We were very lucky that we recovered all of them. Lets give Steve a couple more games before we determine if he is our best option at quarterback. He did make some good throws and used his legs well. Some of his short passes were not good but on most of his other poor passes he was getting hit when he threw the ball.
I do not recall him throwing a bad pass all day, unless he was being pressured by Karlaftis. His passes were on the mark.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score

Some people also think Corey Edsall is great at recruiting. Sometimes there are no words.

Reaction Score
Steven Krajewski did not have a perfect game - yes those fumbles were not good. But I like how he ran ball up field and didn’t slide 3 yards into his run :). I like how most times he tried to deliver a ball where receivers can do something with it - led the receivers vs throwing behind them.

Make no mistake - Our Offensive performance was miserable yesterday but Steven Krajewski look like with a little time he can lead the team, Jack Z seems like a nice kid - wish him the best - but the only time I want to see him back in the field is as a receiver.

Reaction Score
Playing soft leads to open field tackles as the receiver has a chance to catch the ball, look up and make at least his first move. Guess what is the biggest weakness of this team (along with o-line play in general) - open field tackling.

As for Steven Krajewski, he at least showed he can throw the ball on target. That, by itself, made him better than his predecessor. Jack Zergiotis's odd and inconsistent mechanics often resulted in the ball sailing well over, beyond or just out of reach of the receiver.
He is more mobile and the leading rusher. Oughta utilize this more. Go with Burns or Carter if Mensah isnt doing it. Seemed to have more dropped passes than opponent

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
CE8C6635-9EED-4151-8A3F-AF2DB6A2DC2F.jpeg

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score

He was on the mark all day whether he was in a pocket or on the run. He was running for his life and threw a great pass, running toward the line of scrimmage, to Medlock that went right threw Medlock’s hands. The kid is the real deal, he’s head and shoulders above Jack Zergiotis. I can see why Lashlee recruited him.

Reaction Score
He is more mobile and the leading rusher. Oughta utilize this more. Go with Burns or Carter if Mensah isnt doing it. Seemed to have more dropped passes than opponent
Both Burns and Carter had some nice runs yesterday. Although Burns missed a couple of passes from Steven Krajewski that were right to him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
UCONN, aside from Clemson is playing a ridiculously weak schedule. Can’t get much weaker to be honest.
You may not be joking here but you are being intentionally disingenuous if you aren't. Yes, our games against Holy Cross, Yale, UMass and Middle Tennessee are opponents that a school in the top 75 should handle without breaking a sweat and a team in the top 100 should win by more than a TD. Wyoming and Army aren't overly challenging opponents for middle of the pack FBS schools but looking at the schedule as a whole, if we were to remove one of the two FCS games and either UMass or Middle Tennessee and replace them with schools similar to Wyoming and Army the overall schedule would be similar in terms of overall quality of opponent as any we've had.
  • Fresno on the road put up a nearly identical performance against Oregon as Ohio St did at home.
  • While Purdue may not finish better than .500 in conference, it is still a major conference that they are member of and their overall depth of talent is beyond anything we’ve been able to compete with in a decade.
No, I wasn’t happy with what I saw yesterday and yes, I’m sick of the years of wasted Saturdays over the past too many years where it has become difficult to even give tickets away (so I don’t feel that purchasing them was a complete waste) but we should at least have some honesty with what we have, what we are facing and how much of a climb it will be to get where we want to be.

I’ve viewed an insane number of posts over the past 14+ hours where people were losing their minds over yesterday’s game. Did they believe that all along we had a roster capable of knocking off a middle of the pack Big 10 school but Edsall being in charge was the reason we hadn’t performed?

I know we have an enormous task ahead of us and at an advanced age (Eisenhower was president when I was born) I hate that a) we've pretty much wasted the past 20 years and b) we very likely won't get close to where could have gotten as a program before I feel I'm too old to continue wasting six or seven Saturdays every fall. That said, it is far easier to use some honesty when complaining about the situation.

Reaction Score
He had five catchable balls dropped one which should of been a TD even. Also those drops were all over 20 yards. If even 3/5 were caught his completion percentage goes up to 68 percent with around 200 yards and a TD. Also two crucial dropped balls when the score was still close. Now the fumbles need working on but if I’m running from a too 15 pick all punching the ball out my hand imma probably drop it too

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Comparatively, he looked like he had played the game of football before

Two things can be true at the same time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom