Quick Question re:recruiting | The Boneyard

Quick Question re:recruiting

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just wanted to check in on something.

Did the 'New Jersey' situation do a lot of damage?

Remember when people posted the Civil Conflict was good publicity? Turns out acting like a legitimate program is good publicity - not taking a Guinness St Patrick's day countdown clock and hammering it to a dollar store trophy.

Reaction Score
Kind of late in the process this year... need to see who holds a grudge next year.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Just wanted to check in on something.

Did the 'New Jersey' situation do a lot of damage?

Remember when people posted the Civil Conflict was good publicity? Turns out acting like a legitimate program is good publicity - not taking a Guinness St Patrick's day countdown clock and hammering it to a dollar store trophy.

The NJ situation had less of an impact than the civil conflict.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kind of late in the process this year... need to see who holds a grudge next year.

Well they got the press and recruiting has taken off to a level we've never really seen.

Next year it's going to hurt them though?

Reaction Score
I really doubt it. All it would take is a conversation to explain the situation. Maybe one or two schools will pull the self-righteous card but for the most part it won't matter.

Reaction Score
Well they got the press and recruiting has taken off to a level we've never really seen.

Next year it's going to hurt them though?

I'm looking at and referencing specifically New Jersey above... as you are aware, high school coaches are a strange bunch at times. I think we'll be fine absent some isolated butt hurt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm looking at specifically New Jersey... as you are aware, high school coaches are a strange bunch at times. I think we'll be fine absent some isolated butt hurt.

I know - but if we have guys who can recruit better elsewhere is it a problem? New Jersey is one of the most picked over territories in the country.

Maybe a handful of guys are a problem - oh well it sent a message we are open for football.

Reaction Score
I know - but if we have guys who can recruit better elsewhere is it a problem? New Jersey is one of the most picked over territories in the country.

Maybe a handful of guys are a problem - oh well it sent a message we are open for football.

No argument... if we can recruit MD/DC/VA better - losing some public schools in NJ is not a concern to me.

Reaction Score

If it hurts UConn in NJ it will be in that general area with schools like St John Vianney, Red Bank Catholic and Mater Dei Prep. Raritan is definitely gonna be on that list but according to my buddy all the good talent is that town goes to those 3 private schools. As far as RBC goes..having Eddie Hahn here on the roster may help over come any issues. I don't think you will see it hurt UConn in north Jersey with the perennial powers

Reaction Score
If it hurts UConn in NJ it will be in that general area with schools like St John Vianney, Red Bank Catholic and Mater Dei Prep. Raritan is definitely gonna be on that list but according to my buddy all the good talent is that town goes to those 3 private schools. As far as RBC goes..having Eddie Hahn here on the roster may help over come any issues. I don't think you will see it hurt UConn in north Jersey with the perennial powers
A guy named Donald Brown may be mentioned on any RBC visits too... We'll be okay there

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Based on how well they're recruiting on such a short schedule this year, I'm not losing sleep over the New Jersey BS. Football is back and I can't wait. Haven't been this excited in a long time for football to start up again!

Win games and the kids will come! That's all that matters going forward

Reaction Score
A guy named Donald Brown may be mentioned on any RBC visits too... We'll be okay there
I can tell you that right now their HC (who was DB's coach) is NOT happy with what happened. Add that to not being a fan of Crocker after having some dealings with him while he was at Nova and it will be a HUGE mountain to climb.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that right now their HC (who was DB's coach) is NOT happy with what happened. Add that to not being a fan of Crocker after having some dealings with him while he was at Nova and it will be a HUGE mountain to climb.
That's interesting. Didn't know Crocker has issues there. We'll have to see how it plays out but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

That sucks, but oh well. Those who plan to hold a grudge will and will do so forever and some might give the grudge lip service but not really harbor the same anti Edsall feelings deep down.

Next year will be fun because Diaco will be all over NJ for Nebraska and Crocker & Co will be poking around as well. The fact that we are keeping Van DeMark from the Nun School (same as Nick Edwards, right?) is solid.

Reaction Score
The Civil Conflict made us a laughing stock in college/high school football circles as well as in the media. The Dickens situation made it clear Randy was cleaning up a mess recruiting-wise. Beyond a few hurt feelings of coaches in Jersey, anyone in the sport who has two eyes and a brain can see that Diaco offered a kid who had not proven himself to be ready to play at this level. I'm confident the Dickens situation may have actually helped improve our image among many in the recruiting community. They won't say it publicly because of the media faux outrage that came from it, but it makes Randy and co. look like they know what they're doing and are serious about running a top flight program. Losing access to a few high schools in Jersey for a few years is really not the end of the world.

Reaction Score
The Civil Conflict made us a laughing stock in college/high school football circles as well as in the media. The Dickens situation made it clear Randy was cleaning up a mess recruiting-wise. Beyond a few hurt feelings of coaches in Jersey, anyone in the sport who has two eyes and a brain can see that Diaco offered a kid who had not proven himself to be ready to play at this level. I'm confident the Dickens situation may have actually helped improve our image among many in the recruiting community. They won't say it publicly because of the media faux outrage that came from it, but it makes Randy and co. look like they know what they're doing and are serious about running a top flight program. Losing access to a few high schools in Jersey for a few years is really not the end of the world.
Good points Brassy.
But agree AND Disagree.
I agree with you on recruiting situation and it has helped us... not hurt us. People (and players) want to be part of the best. UCONN is a public Ivy, difficult to get admitted academically.
If we begin winning, top players will gravitate. UCONN HUSKIES... a great place for the serious player. Yesterday's news will be forgotten including the faux back page news story. Where is young lad Dickens now..... no one cares, especially other players. Telling 2 players to go elsewhere helped us. People want what they can't have....People want what others can't get...

I disagree on the Conflict Trophy. We remember it because we were associated and embarrassed by Diaco thru affiliation. It will also be forgotten.... as it is associated and tied to a former idiotic head coach, since fired.
Winning in the future will cure many problems.
Those of us on the BY, the faithful, will never forget.
Everyone else, the fair weather and casual fan, can't remember their own name (LOL ).

GO Huskies !

Reaction Score
Good points Brassy.
But agree AND Disagree.
I agree with you on recruiting situation and it has helped us... not hurt us. People (and players) want to be part of the best. UCONN is a public Ivy, difficult to get admitted academically.
If we begin winning, top players will gravitate. UCONN HUSKIES... a great place for the serious player. Yesterday's news will be forgotten including the faux back page news story. Where is young lad Dickens now..... no one cares, especially other players. Telling 2 players to go elsewhere helped us. People want what they can't have....People want what others can't get...

I disagree on the Conflict Trophy. We remember it because we were associated and embarrassed by Diaco thru affiliation. It will also be forgotten.... as it is associated and tied to a former idiotic head coach, since fired.
Winning in the future will cure many problems.
Those of us on the BY, the faithful, will never forget.
Everyone else, the fair weather and casual fan, can't remember their own name (LOL ).

GO Huskies !
Agree on the Conflict trophy, I should've noted that it's more associated with Diaco and not UConn as you said. It'll follow us for a bit this year but fall into history pretty soon as an afterthought.

Reaction Score
If you think recruiting is improving now, just wait till we start playing games on Nickelodeon.

We're going to kill it.

Reaction Score

That was clear as day when UCF kicked our butts on our own field, wiped their crack with that fake trophy and left it at the rent for all to see how much of a farce it was. In hindsight, it's kinda clear now that they probably had that game circled on their calendar. Began the demise of a head coach and his staff.

Reaction Score
That was clear as day when UCF kicked our butts on our own field, wiped their crack with that fake trophy and left it at the rent for all to see how much of a farce it was. In hindsight, it's kinda clear now that they probably had that game circled on their calendar. Began the demise of a head coach and his staff.

If they would have wiped their crack with it, that means they would have acknowledged it. It was worse than that.

Reaction Score

A level we've never seen? Based on what?

I'm impressed with the speed that they've managed to ramp up recruiting, and I get that recruiting had become a dumpster fire under Diaco (save the 16 class). But in terms of offers, except for one prospect, the offer lists are good but not overwhelming, and consistent with many past classes, including our most recent one.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I had a feeling that Crocker knew the kid already and as soon as he came in identified that he would not have recruited him for Nova either. That probably sealed the deal.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If my kid was a D1 prospect and I found out his coach was limiting his options due to personal grudges, I would set his house on fire.

Reaction Score
If my kid was a D1 prospect and I found out his coach was limiting his options due to personal grudges, I would set his house on fire.
I don't think it's so much limiting options as not supporting UConn over others if there are at least 1 or more options besides UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom