Quick lineup thoughts vs Texas | The Boneyard

Quick lineup thoughts vs Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
-Shortest lineup KO has put out all year. Only 8 guys saw time.

-Not sure why Nolan is still seeing minutes over Enoch. Nolan played 7 minutes... he had no points and only one rebound. He managed to fumble a few balls away, had 2 turnovers, and didn't do anything of note on defense. I'd like to give the big, talented freshman those minutes and live with some growing pains now in order to have a chance of reaping some rewards come March.

-I'm surprised Texas didn't try to isolate the ball down low more considering we played Facey and Miller at the 5 for almost the whole game.

-If Mack scores his average of 5.2 ppg instead of going off from 3, we probably blow them out.

Reaction Score

-Not sure why Nolan is still seeing minutes over Enoch. Nolan played 7 minutes... he had no points and only one rebound. He managed to fumble a few balls away, had 2 turnovers, and didn't do anything of note on defense. I'd like to give the big, talented freshman those minutes and live with some growing pains now in order to have a chance of reaping some rewards come March.

-I'm surprised Texas didn't try to isolate the ball down low more considering we played Facey and Miller at the 5 for almost the whole game.

-If Mack scores his average of 5.2 ppg instead of going off from 3, we probably blow them out.
He did have a big block on Mack in the second half. Though I agree on rather seeing SE out there to develop especially on D.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He did have a big block on Mack in the second half. Though I agree on rather seeing SE out there to develop especially on D.

Forgot about that block, but Mack was a little out of control. Nolan still had as many turnovers as points, rebounds and blocks combined in 7 minutes. Not good enough... let's see what Steve can do

Reaction Score
I watched Phil for one play on D and couldn't for the life of me figure out why he didn't box out or try to get the rebound. Anyways. Not going to argue with the results. Good coaching game by Ollie IMO.

Reaction Score
Ibeh and Clare are just bodies, wouldn't have made sense on Shaka's part to make them a focal point down low

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Lets not forget the most dubious lane violation. The shooter barely had the ball back from the ref and there was Phil crashing in the lane for a rebound.

I was surprised to see no Big Steve in this one considering the bulk of Ibeh and Cleare. Enoch needs more time during life without Brimah. Smaller ball may have worked in our favor today so no real complaints with the lineup aside from the lack of Enoch

Reaction Score
Ibeh and Clare are just bodies, wouldn't have made sense on Shaka's part to make them a focal point down low
taylor on texas is a freaking stud, kid pinned adams lay up on the glass like it was nothing. but the rest of texas is meh, we would beat that team 9 out of 10 games stamp that.

Reaction Score
taylor on texas is a freaking stud, kid pinned adams lay up on the glass like it was nothing. but the rest of texas is meh, we would beat that team 9 out of 10 games stamp that.
Yea, personally if I was Shaka I would have been running AAU offense and just telling Taylor to take his man every time the last 8 minutes or so, our guards couldn't stay in front of him and the back line help with no Brimah was weak.

Reaction Score

yup. should have happened. there was some egregious decisions by the personnel in the first half, lots of errant double teams for no reason... everyone was getting splattered on screens like flies on a flyswatter.

the man2man seems nuanced for this group, you could tell by the body language they loved taking risks and playing a zone. we won this game but this defense will get us blown out by smu.

HONESTLY, I think KO should consider coaching his players to play under screens on most of these college players, even felix had trouble on pull up threes/jumpers. college players can't take advantage of bad screen defense the way pros do, they just aren't good enough.

Reaction Score
Yea, personally if I was Shaka I would have been running AAU offense and just telling Taylor to take his man every time the last 8 minutes or so, our guards couldn't stay in front of him and the back line help with no Brimah was weak.

taylor was the best player on the floor the whole game, but barely had action run for him. i'm really happy we took this win from shaka as i'm sure you are, what a dumb way to utilize your two best players taylor and mack ( eric davis playing all those minutes over him, another uconn recruit thanks we didn't sign him).

Also lemmert was getting open constantly on pick n pops and never got touches. if i was shaka i would be sick about that

Reaction Score
HONESTLY, I think KO should consider coaching his players to play under screens on most of these college players, even felix had trouble on pull up threes/jumpers. college players can't take advantage of bad screen defense the way pros do, they just aren't good enough.
How hilariously short-sighted. At UConn, the picture is bigger than that. At any given point in UConn's history since the 90's, at least 3-4 players are training to eventually make it in the NBA. JC spent a quarter of a century building the kind of pedigree that attracts those kinds of players. Future stars want to play on KO's team specifically because of his NBA style.

And you want to give up wide-open three point shots because the Maines of the world can't make pull up 3s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How short-sighted. At UConn, the picture is bigger than that. At any given point in UConn's history since the 90's, at least 3-4 players are training to eventually make it in the NBA.

you're completely right, it is good for development. Thats why in that "what can we do to fix our defense" thread i said KO's philosophy is fine but we are still growing.

i'm just tired of how it takes A FULL HALF to understand the stakes of each defensive possession. I rewatched the first half and there were dozens of lackadaisical 'switches' and 'coverages' within the halfcourt defense. I get on hamilton a lot (rightfully so) but miller is also an equal offender, he needs to understand how valuable he is on both ends before committing horrible reach-in/shooting fouls. just play good 'positional' defense and use verticality to your advantage, these aren't pros... most college players struggle finishing over ANY length, no need to be overzealous.

I said it in the chat, i just have this weird inkling that gibbs and miller are slowing clicking with the rest of the team.... and it will take time. But they both have exhibited a great skillset ( gibbs- catch n shoot or shoot period, miller - unbelievable offense anchor when allowed space by the action) that could really catapult this team. Can they click on d though? big Q

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
At one point in the first half they had Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton/Nolan. Hamilton got a block out of it. That was the oddest five I've seen them put out there in a LOOOONG time.

Reaction Score
At one point in the first half they had Adams/Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton/Nolan. Hamilton got a block out of it. That was the oddest five I've seen them put out there in a LOOOONG time.
Then you must not have watched the game where Omar, Cassell Jr, and Nolan were in at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom