Questions on Southington's Rose... | The Boneyard

Questions on Southington's Rose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
from a casual UConn football fan:

Will he be entering UConn for the second semester?
Does he have a commitment from Diaco to be given an opportunity
to try out for QB?
What are the chances he redshirts next year?
What are the chances that he actually starts in game one?

Anyone have a player comparison for him...in terms of size/QB skills?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
popcorn.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

to try out for QB?

Thanks.

First of all, time to delete the word, "Casual." C'mon Blake. Go all it!!!!;)

1. Haven't heard if Rose will graduate high school early. My inclination is no, but some one else should be able to answer that more definitively.
2. He indicated in his press conference when he gave his verbal that he was going to be given the opportunity to play QB, but would welcome time at TE if it gets him on the field.
3. Redshirt? I'd put the chances closer to 100% than even 50%, but it depends on need at any given time. As of NLI Day, Rose will be at best 4th on both the QB and TE depth charts.
4. Again, probably no chance he starts game one. Sherriffs still has 2 more years and the staff appears high on Tyler Davis.

Reaction Score
No
Yes
20%
0%

Seems gifted athletically; I see him getting as many snaps at QWB as G. Anderson did this year

Reaction Score
1. No idea
2. He says he does so I believe it.
3. Somewhere between 100% and 200%always barring multiple injuries.
4. See #3.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

to try out for QB?

Thanks.

Closest player comp would be Sean Mcquillan given that they are both high school QBs from CT who are roughly the same size and both projected out as TEs in college. I think Rose is a bit quicker than Sean though. Maybe I'm just making the comp because they're both CT guys but it seems fair.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can make an argument that Rose comps favorably to Shirreffs. Both players are athletic enough to play positions other than QB, but they can throw with some force and, more importantly, accuracy.

Display of physical tools in high school doesn't always translate to college however. Most Div. 1A players are men among boys in high school and can get by on physicality alone. How quickly Shirreffs reads and analyzes what is in front of him sets him apart from Anderson and certainly Boyle. The earlier Rose displays this trait, the quicker he will see the field. Keep in mind there is at least one other QB in his class as well as Tyler Davis.

Reaction Score
who else was recruiting Rose? Was he a Danny O. level of recruit?

Husky25

Reaction Score
who else was recruiting Rose? Was he a Danny O. level of recruit?

BC, Maryland, 'Cuse Wake, NC State, West Virginia, and Wisconsin

Reaction Score
I watched the Darien game, my first time seeing Rose play. One thing that was noticeable that needs to be coached out is that he holds the ball much too low while in the pocket. He is very athletic and can make throws on the run, but I didn't think he was as good a throwing QB as the New Canaan QB who has offers to Penn and interest from Michigan and Stanford (as a preferred walk-on). But Rose got killed by Darien, he literally had no time to ever throw, whereas the NC QB had more time versus the same defense, so tough comp.

Regardless, he will redshirt and will likely be given that first year to try and be a QB and if not, he has the size and athleticism to play TE.

Reaction Score
If anyone competes with Shirreffs for #1 next year it will be Davis. Not a guy that everyone wants as a tight end. And before you say Sherriff was a fullback at NC state remember he was revisited as a quarterback and wasn't converted until he got beat out not unlike Anderson.

Reaction Score
Closest player comp would be Sean Mcquillan given that they are both high school QBs from CT who are roughly the same size and both projected out as TEs in college. I think Rose is a bit quicker than Sean though. Maybe I'm just making the comp because they're both CT guys but it seems fair.

McQuillan had a different body type -- definitely a more powerful runner but not a good arm. Rose has FBS level arm strength, but I think some of his other fundamentals are lacking. I think giving him a chance to play QB is the right play. If he picks up some of the other skills, he could be very good. If not, we have a very good athlete at tight end.

Reaction Score
I think he can be a monster tight end. Great size, athletic, and tough to bring down.
New offense appears to use TE's in many blocking situations. Sure he is tough to take down as mentioned, but if he is used as a TE, can he block effectively?

Reaction Score
BNich said:
New offense appears to use TE's in many blocking situations. Sure he is tough to take down as mentioned, but if he is used as a TE, can he block effectively?

He has frame to put on 40-50 pounds, and he is physical, does not shy away from contact.

Reaction Score
I's like to see him get a shot at QB but obviously not in year one rotation. His athleticism puts him ahead of many prospects who can also throw but I only had one look against Darien which was a guy on his horse all night. He made some nice throws and showed some guts despite the onslaught. Think he also has room to build up on his frame but would prefer he do that in the context of preparing to play QB.

Learning not to get too excited about QB's on teams with dominant o-lines like New Canaan. Collins wasn't as sharp against Darien, but he has put up some numbers against good competition.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Appreciate everyone's wisdom on the matter. Then again my standards for 'wisdom' at times fluctuate wildly.

Reaction Score

to try out for QB?

Thanks.
Connecticut puts so many restrictions on when a coach can work with a kid in the off season. Coach cant even be in the weight room. To short season practice time, that any kid, no matter the stats and size, is behind kids from other states big time. Their development is set back YEARS. Southingtons all every thing QB ended up as a tight end at Yale. Could not compete with California players. Tim Boyle is light years behind Shirreffs. So lets let the Rose situation at UC, play itself out. Bottom line is that very few big time D1 players come out of CT.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Connecticut puts so many restrictions on when a coach can work with a kid in the off season. Coach cant even be in the weight room. To short season practice time, that any kid, no matter the stats and size, is behind kids from other states big time. Their development is set back YEARS. Southingtons all every thing QB ended up as a tight end at Yale. Could not compete with California players. Tim Boyle is light years behind Shirreffs. So lets let the Rose situation at UC, play itself out. Bottom line is that very few big time D1 players come out of CT.

Are you talking about high school coaches?

Reaction Score
Are you talking about high school coaches?
Yes. the high school coaches. The only coaches allowed to coach the high school players, are their schools coaches.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for years. It is shy I don't much care if recruit local kids.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Next season the QB position will be Bryant Sheriff's job... Then Tyler Davis. But I don't see Tim Boyle really competing for the starter's role. And Garett Anderson might just be a great wideout option that Coach Verducci just found. I'm sure Rose will RS.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Next season the QB position will be Bryant Sheriff's job... Then Tyler Davis. But I don't see Tim Boyle really competing for the starter's role. And Garett Anderson might just be a great wideout option that Coach Verducci just found. I'm sure Rose will RS.
At 6-1, 236 lbs., Anderson is a bit of a wide body to be a wideout.

Reaction Score

You,ve seen Davis play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek