Questions and observations about Tulane | The Boneyard

Questions and observations about Tulane

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Sorry. Just have too many things to just post in the game thread.

1. When Crystal Dangerfield made her steal at the end of the game why didn't she just try to dribble the clock out instead of trying to score?

2. UConn shot 28 foul shots (made 19). Tulane shot 6. Shooting 22 more FTs than your opponent on the road is something Geno would take every time. Both coaches were furious with the refs. Bad officiating but bad for both sides. Collier's fourth was up there as one the worst I have seen all year.

3. I don't blame Crystal Dangerfield's struggles at the foul line on being a freshmen. This is game 26, plus she had tons of experience in big games in high school. I wonder if Geno hesitates to put her in that situation later on in the year.

4. Two games in row Lou got beat up. I am sure she is expecting it from here on out.

5. Speaking of Lou, I am coming around to bags view that she has to rebound more. With Collier out and Nat not in the game, this was the first game I can remember that she was really needed on the boards. Yet, to disprove my own point, UConn had a +13 rebounding advantage.

6. Question for the boneyard vets. Does Geno lighten the practice load this time of year? The kids look tired. I am wondering if the much discussed frequency of tough practices is one of the reasons. I am not second guessing just wondering about his philosophy.

7. Gabby had 5 TOs. Teams are now cheating off of her and playing the passing lanes. It was good to see her hit a couple of outside shots in response.

8. With Kia out, Saniya has to shoot more. She could get a way with pass first before the Nurse injury. Plus, she isn't getting much scoring off the dribble.

9. I don't see any blatant miscues in Nat's game play that would warrant her limited time. Any guesses?

10. Finally, Geno told the kids during a timeout in the FSU game that the team should get used to games like that. As the template to play this team get clearer, I would expect several more games like Tulane. The fact that they have remain undefeated is amazing.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing about Crystal at the end. It was probably just instinctual to go to the basket. And honestly, it was better that she shot it rather than just accepting the foul, because at least she had a chance for a three point play. Her free throw shooting was sketchy so that might have actually been a good decision by her.

As for Nat - she had a few good plays but her defense is not great. She misses assignments on hedging, and the team can't switch on every screen like they can with the starters. And she has a tendency to bring the ball down on rebounds. She also missed a pretty key rebound that allowed Tulane to get a putback basket.

The team misses Kia. She is the floor leader on offense and defense, and it was very apparent tonight.

Reaction Score
I'll try to answer your point number 9. Nat is not good against small and fast teams as on defense the other teams (and for sure Tulane today) plays fot he pick and roll on the player that Nat is guarding which time after time gets a player open due to Nat slow recovery. On offense, she tends to try to dribble or lower the ball and as such males it easier for smaller players to take the ball away. She has been doing pretty well against bigger teams.

Reaction Score
After watching the Louisville / NC game this afternoon it is apparent that wcbb officials really need to control the games. Way too much holding, grabbing, pushing and shoving . After a couple quarters of this , teams are getting chippy. TV likes close games, and allowing rough play brings outcomes closer together.

Reaction Score

1. When Crystal Dangerfield made her steal at the end of the game why didn't she just try to dribble the clock out instead of trying to score?

2. UConn shot 28 foul shots (made 19). Tulane shot 6. Shooting 22 more FTs than your opponent on the road is something Geno would take every time. Both coaches were furious with the refs. Bad officiating but bad for both sides. Collier's fourth was up there as one the worst I have seen all year.

3. I don't blame Crystal Dangerfield's struggles at the foul line on being a freshmen. This is game 26, plus she had tons of experience in big games in high school. I wonder if Geno hesitates to put her in that situation later on in the year.

4. Two games in row Lou got beat up. I am sure she is expecting it from here on out.

5. Speaking of Lou, I am coming around to bags view that she has to rebound more. With Collier out and Nat not in the game, this was the first game I can remember that she was really needed on the boards. Yet, to disprove my own point, UConn had a +13 rebounding advantage.

6. Question for the boneyard vets. Does Geno lighten the practice load this time of year? The kids look tired. I am wondering if the much discussed frequency of tough practices is one of the reasons. I am not second guessing just wondering about his philosophy.

7. Gabby had 5 TOs. Teams are now cheating off of her and playing the passing lanes. It was good to see her hit a couple of outside shots in response.

8. With Kia out, Saniya has to shoot more. She could get a way with pass first before the Nurse injury. Plus, she isn't getting much scoring off the dribble.

9. I don't see any blatant miscues in Nat's game play that would warrant her limited time. Any guesses?

10. Finally, Geno told the kids during a timeout in the FSU game that the team should get used to games like that. As the template to play this team get clearer, I would expect several more games like Tulane. The fact that they have remain undefeated is amazing.
I agree with number one. She had the entire half court to herself and could have dribbled out the remaining seconds. However, instinct often overcomes thinking, in a game that tense. And with a freshman, in particular. Who would have imagined that she would " clank" both free throws? Hit one, and the game was over. Well, she has something to work on now.

Reaction Score
I agree with number one. She had the entire half court to herself and could have dribbled out the remaining seconds. However, instinct often overcomes thinking, in a game that tense. And with a freshman, in particular. Who would have imagined that she would " clank" both free throws? Hit one, and the game was over. Well, she has something to work on now.
Another thing of Kia not being in the game, at the end the ball would have been in her hands, and Kia makes most of her free throws.

Reaction Score
. . . 6. Question for the boneyard vets. Does Geno lighten the practice load this time of year? The kids look tired. I am wondering if the much discussed frequency of tough practices is one of the reasons. I am not second guessing just wondering about his philosophy. . .

I don't know about practices, but I recall some players saying that he is less sarcastic in his
criticism and tries to build up their confidence. Most of the season - tear down. End of the
season - build up.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one that thought if Natalie went hard after that rebound she would have committed an over the back foul

Reaction Score
My observations coming off of the Tulane game is this:

A) Tulane played an inspired game. My hat goes off to their entire team !!
B) Saniya Chong played her WORST game of this season in this one. She played tentative, her shot wasn't going down and her defense was suspect. She needs to bury this one deep and move on (and Meg Cuomo even said so about Saniya's poor play during the game and RIGHTFULLY SO !!)
C) If Phessa Collier didn't have the game that she had, this would have been DOOMSDAY for UCONN
D) Kia Nurse was missed
E) Katie Lou is still in her slump. Better now than during the playoffs

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My observations coming off of the Tulane game is this:

A) Tulane played an inspired game. My hat goes off to their entire team !!
B) Saniya Chong played her WORST game of this season in this one. She played tentative, her shot wasn't going down and her defense was suspect. She needs to bury this one deep and move on (and Meg Cuomo even said so about Saniya's poor play during the game and RIGHTFULLY SO !!)
C) If Phessa Collier didn't have the game that she had, this would have been DOOMSDAY for UCONN
D) Kia Nurse was missed
E) Katie Lou is still in her slump. Better now than during the playoffs
Regarding B, the playing tentative part, she wasn't the only one. In addition, she's been playing a lot more minutes than she's used to. The whole team is wearing down.

Reaction Score

Out of order---Danger--has not played 26 games--geno's team played that. Danger played about 3 maybe 4 games and recently 2 games --concussion, foot issues--dog house issues--she sat a lot--too much to be ready for prime time --this time of the year. In AAU you score, when you can score--Geno hasn't had her in enough games for this to be discussed--I would think. Danger will be the goat (not go to) of every final play she is in the rest of this year--unless Geno can sub her out or make her hit FT's.

Typically this time of the year the starting 5 get less and less PT until the NCAA--then more and more.

Saniya--MUST take the shot when open or attach MUST. If not now WHEn???

The template for the Tulane game to be tried again was molded in NoLa. Hopefully Geno will work on that--but without a full starting 5--it may not matter..

Katie must rebound and put back she has the size---if her shots are not falling--rebound, put back.

Napheesa and Gabby are essential to the success of uconn---Gabby rushed her shots, so did Pheesa --un expected tough defense--caused it--pressured kids play faster--faster plays means missed shots , missed rebounds, fouls..

Foul shots like fast play--the mind races--shots don't fall--composure --easier said than done. Must make of pressure foul shots causes --those not prepared for the momentary pressure (Danger) miss shots---Who is the free throw coach anyway? Tulanes Free throw defense was among the best seen this year..

Reaction Score
Some thoughts

1-On defense, there were a few instances where Crystal did not know here defensive assignment. I can hear her teammates shouting and pointing where she should be.

I hope to see fewer instances like this next game and tighten up their defense.

2-I would love to see Nat do 3 things - (1) not dribbling and (2) not bringing the ball down below her shoulders so the smaller guards to reach it. She needs to go strong to the basket or shoot her 10 footer, although she has more range. Finally, (3) show more aggressiveness. She can move people (just like Coates from SC). She's received plenty of bruises, it may be time to give some back!

3-What happened to their free throw shooting? They area better free throw shooting team than that.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but I'm under the impression that as it gets late in the season, or maybe in the post-season, that practices get shorter but more intense.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Regarding Saniya, I don't think this was her worst game. It was mediocre to so-so. As usual, she made some mistakes but also did some things she doesn't get credit for. She made two tough rebounds, and one doesn't usually associate Saniya with rebounding. She made the great pinpoint fastball through traffic to Gabby but didn't get the assist because Gabby got fouled.

Speaking of free throws and coaching: How is it that Danger was at the line three times in a row? Saniya worked her way open on that last inbound but Lou (or Gabby) had already committed. I'm not aware of Saniya's free throw streak being broken. Anybody?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou did not shoot well; however, she did have 15 points in the second half, and she made a key basket when Napheesa couldn't complete the pass to her near the end of the game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Lost in all this angst is that UConn extended its record road winning streak. They put the 1928 Kansas men in the rear view mirror last road game and now they're leaving them in the dust.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou did not shoot well; however, she did have 15 points in the second half, and she made a key basket when Napheesa couldn't complete the pass to her near the end of the game.

I thought she probably got fouled on that play too.

Reaction Score
1—I think it was spur of the moment for Danger. Maybe she knew she’d get fouled also and possibly thought a layup would be better than taking free throws. It’s not like she was going to out run the defender by dribbling the ball. Also, when she was going up for the layup, did Tulane go for the ball?

3—I think Geno has limited her—I can remember he pulled late in the ND game. I don’t think she would sniff late minutes unless she was on roll like vs Baylor But who is a better option at this moment in that UCONN needs ball-handling too? I agree with your tone. Danger was extremely disappointing.

4—I don’t think Lou is getting any more beat up than she has vs any other good defensive team she has played all year. I think the problems are her shot is off and she doesn’t have Nurse so it appears she is getting beat up more but I don’t think it’s correct to imply that. Nurse is a better player than both Saniya and Danger. As a result she makes the game easier for the other players including Lou and vice-versa.

7—Teams have been cheating off Gabby all year. It is only more pronounced because the games are closer in the last 2 and we needed scoring. We need Kia back though. It will make the game easier for Gabby. When Gabby penetrates, there are 3 good outside shooters if we have Nurse. Right now Danger’s shooting is poor. They will cheat off of Danger and make it a lot harder for Gabby until Danger starts sticking plenty of 3’s.

9—As far as Nat- she doesn’t do anything significantly good when she is in other than vs the slower posts she can compete well enough. And lately her passing is highly suspect. It seems like the offense bogs down when she is in because her passing has turned atrocious or a semi-adventure. So far for the month of Feb she has recorded two assists in 6 games while amassing 9 turnovers (granted one game there was 5.) in 79 minutes. UCONN is an efficient passing team. It’s not only the turnovers with Nat but when she gets the ball, it seems her simplest of passes get contested. And on defense- you saw first hand an example which has also been brought up in games, remember the kid hitting the 3ball at the buzzer? Nat didn’t step out to help. With Nat UCONN doesn’t switch as well etc.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing about Crystal at the end. It was probably just instinctual to go to the basket. And honestly, it was better that she shot it rather than just accepting the foul, because at least she had a chance for a three point play. Her free throw shooting was sketchy so that might have actually been a good decision by her.

As for Nat - she had a few good plays but her defense is not great. She misses assignments on hedging, and the team can't switch on every screen like they can with the starters. And she has a tendency to bring the ball down on rebounds. She also missed a pretty key rebound that allowed Tulane to get a putback basket.

The team misses Kia. She is the floor leader on offense and defense, and it was very apparent tonight.
Butler is 6'5" and can shoot free throws sadly that is about it ! Tries hard also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom