Questions About Next Season | The Boneyard

Questions About Next Season

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I offered some thoughts about next season and am following up at this time.

Over the past few weeks several high profile players have decided to seek greener pastures, among the most prominent being Lauren Betts (now UCLA), Aneesah Morrow, Sedona Prince (signed with Texas Tech), and Hailey Van Lith. The Huskies have one scholarship available and, to the extent there is a perceived need, it is for a big. The most attractive from our standpoint was Lauren Betts, but she is going to UCLA and there is probably no one else available who might fit a UConn need. So it looks as though the Huskies are standing pat.

I also expressed concern about our lack of size because only Aaliyah Edwards is a proven 4-5. Brady, El Afry, and Patterson are all question marks. If two of the three can be significant factors next year, UConn should be in pretty good shape, but the team will likely still be out muscled by the likes of a South Carolina.

Finally, there is the looming question of the health of the players who missed significant or all time this past season, Bueckers, Ducharme, and Fudd. Given the fact that none of them have been close to completely healthy for the past two seasons, my hope is that two of the three will have injury-free seasons. If they and Griffin can play all of next season and, if the team gets good production from its front line players, particularly on the rebounding and defensive end, then 2023-24 will be the team’s best chance for a national championship since 2016.

I’m not sure that I agree with ESPN’s Charlie Creme postulating UConn as the top seed, especially since so many players wishing to transfer have not found landing spots yet. Still, two or three of the incoming freshmen may well by force of talent and/or injuries be significant parts of the 2023-24 rotation. With greater depth, there is more margin for injury.

Only seven months until the new season begins and, as the motto of the old Brooklyn Dodgers after disappoint was, “wait ‘till next year!”

Reaction Score
Normally I don't trust Charlie Creme's statements, but this time I think he is right. UConn will be #1 in pre-season and all the way to the NC next season.

Screenshot (45).png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As always, it depends on health. There is no better core trio in the country next year than a healthy Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah. Even if not a single person out performs expectations and improves in the offseason, I still think UConn will be head and shoulders above the rest of the country if those three stay healthy.

Reaction Score
The Huskies have one scholarship available and, to the extent there is a perceived need, it is for a big.
I also expressed concern about our lack of size because only Aaliyah Edwards is a proven 4-5.
Finally, there is the looming question of the health of the players who missed significant or all time this past season, Bueckers, Ducharme, and Fudd.
To #1: 14 is a lot of players to find playing time for. I think we're plenty deep as is. We are also in the best position (because of our backcourt) to create the conditions under which our front court can perfect their skills. With Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ashlynn on the perimeter, there will be very little packing of the paint next year.

To #2: see above. This is how dynasties begin. You train up your young players until they become awesome.

To #3: We can only assume all of our stars will be healthy. What is the point of assuming they won't be? Our pain and sorrow won't be less if they get injured just because we got a head start on it.

Reaction Score
Normally I don't trust Charlie Creme's statements, but this time I think he is right. UConn will be #1 in pre-season and all the way to the NC next season.

View attachment 87618
I agree with Uconn #1 at this point, but there are still some important decisions by players in the portal that could be difference makers. The bad news is we don't expect to be adding someone major, but where the two Oregon guards, Hailey Van Lith, Diamond Johnson and of course Morrow for the bigs wind up can change the odds for whoever gets them.

I would be surprised if LSU and South Carolina don't wind up with one of those guards each, and several other contenders could get a significant upgrade. I think Uconn will remain the betting favorite, but some of the top contenders will move closer than they are now.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if LSU and South Carolina don't wind up with one of those guards each, and several other contenders could get a significant upgrade. I think Uconn will remain the betting favorite, but some of the top contenders will move closer than they are now.
I almost hope SC does get a good guard. I mean, they're our main rival and it's good to have a challenge.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I almost hope SC does get a good guard. I mean, they're our main rival and it's good to have a challenge.
Almost being the key word, I don't care if SC falls back to the pre Boston days. UCONN will have plenty good teams to play against, regardless of SC's portal snipping, success or failure. I would rather see Dawn get Sally Thumbsuck from the portal than Hailey Van Lith. Dawn will find a way to field a very good team, she has another good freshman group of recruits coming in next season. :cool:

Reaction Score
But a little more than three months before they go to Europe, so you will get some basketball before Nov.;)
Even sooner than that as the players will be back in 5 1/2 weeks for summer workouts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom