Question: Which two recruiting blunders by rivals most benefitted the UConn women? | The Boneyard

Question: Which two recruiting blunders by rivals most benefitted the UConn women?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Which two recruiting blunders by rivals most benefitted the UConn women?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
which 2 players made UConn coaching staff happy that they chose to go to another school? is that your question

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Define recruiting blunder. Without an operational definition thereof we can't answer. Was it someone a rival recruited and shouldn't have or didn't recruit and should have? Or is it simply a recruit who didn't nearly live up to her high school billing? And how do we define a benefit to uconn?

Jim

Reaction Score
Which troll on the BoneYard forum should be put on the ignore list?

Reaction Score
Bascom and Ralph..Geno told them they would have to earn playing time..

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
rickyH said:

Huh?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not sure an awkwardly phrased question from rickyh deserves this response. Why not just ask him what he meant rather than assume he's a troll?

This is why lurkers are afraid to post. They're afraid they'll be attacked and, sadly, that does seem to happen with too much frequency.

Reaction Score
I'll take a stab at it. Every other school that did not recruit Geno for their WBB program about 30 years ago. I only have that one. I am not aware of any other blunders by other schools.

45 TO GO

Jim

Reaction Score
I'm not sure an awkwardly phrased question from rickyh deserves this response. Why not just ask him what he meant rather than assume he's a troll?

This is why lurkers are afraid to post. They're afraid they'll be attacked and, sadly, that does seem to happen with too much frequency.
I based my comment not on this post alone but in consideration of his "Sue Byrd" thread, his "what team with a former Husky beat UConn" thread, and other posts.

Reaction Score

RICK: unlike some of the others, my first reaction to your thread was very positive; I found it to be original and though-provoking. However, it opens up such a vast arena of possibilities that I've concluded I don't have the time to devote to giving you a thoughtful answer. Another busy day underway. But keep 'em coming.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I based my comment not on this post alone but in consideration of his "Sue Byrd" thread, his "what team with a former Husky beat UConn" thread, and other posts.
This is a moderated board. If you, or any other poster, finds a post inappropriate, you should click on the Report link (below the text of the post) and it will be flagged for moderator attention. Calling people names only invites flame wars or back and forth arguments and I would rather we not go down that road.

The Sue Byrd thread was a trivia question. If you read the entire thread, the purpose is explained. Maybe rickyh could work on being more precise in the way he words his posts, for example indicating that the Sue Byrd was a trivia question, but there has been no trolling in his posts.

Jim

Reaction Score
This is a moderated board. If you, or any other poster, finds a post inappropriate, you should click on the Report link (below the text of the post) and it will be flagged for moderator attention. Calling people names only invites flame wars or back and forth arguments and I would rather we not go down that road.

The Sue Byrd thread was a trivia question. If you read the entire thread, the purpose is explained. Maybe rickyh could work on being more precise in the way he words his posts, for example indicating that the Sue Byrd was a trivia question, but there has been no trolling in his posts.
I considered the starting of threads to discuss blunders and put down lines the act of someone trying to instigate arguments. Rather than allow him to claim success here, I retract my comment and in the future will use the Report link as you suggest.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I considered the starting of threads to discuss blunders and put down lines the act of someone trying to instigate arguments. Rather than allow him to claim success here, I retract my comment and in the future will use the Report link as you suggest.
I agree rickyh has, well, blundered in his phrasing but he seems to be trying to keep the conversation going in the off-season rather than trolling.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

This is a real toughie for me because I need to know more specifics about our rivals' recruiting than I currently have.

For example - IIRC, Tennessee wasn't among Diana's finalists. Why not? Was it a specific 'blunder' by Tennessee or just that their program didn't resonate with her?

If it was a 'blunder' then I'd put that miscue near the top of your list. But I simply don't know so I can't even begin to answer your question.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Armentie Price and Alana Beard were recruiting blunders by just about everyone but Ole Miss and Duke, respectively.

Geno on Alana: "I came away from that first week with her saying this kid has a chance to be one of the all-time greats," says Auriemma, who calls the Huskies' failure to pursue Beard the biggest recruiting lapse in his 18 years at UConn. "I'm happy to say I was right."

I think a lot of people missed the boat on Maya, too. People assumed she was going to Georgia or Tennessee and didn't go after her hard. Geno got into the race late and scooped her up.

Kara Wolters would be my other choice as obvious misses by UConn opponents. NO ONE recruited Kara. Kara's dad had played at BC and she wanted to go there but they told her no, said she was too fat. Too bad for them.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Perhaps you, since you seem to be intent on finding controversy in an otherwise innocuous thread. Personally I hope he continues to post. His Sue Byrd trivia question led me to a fruitless Google search - obviously JS has a better search engine.

While I don't know how to answer his question regarding recruiting blunders - I read it as which coach screwed up enough to cause a recruit to come to UConn instead - I think the answer would have to come from a recruit or a player. It certainly seems like a reasonable thing to ask.

Reaction Score
I'll try. Wasn't it Anne Strother that seemed a little skeptical of/turned off by the Tennessee approach that included t-shirts with her baby picture on it, her favorite candy, and an LOI-laden mini-blimp? And let's add Landers/GA with his pink flamingos. If Strother was someone needing a more direct approach then it was a "blunder" to go after her with such silliness.

I may have some/all of the details wrong here.

Reaction Score
With all due respect. as a relatively new poster, I'm not sure what a troll is or what kind of posting behavior makes one a troll. It sounds like a bad thing and something one wants to avoid. can someone explain?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
With all due respect. as a relatively new poster, I'm not sure what a troll is or what kind of posting behavior makes one a troll. It sounds like a bad thing and something one wants to avoid. can someone explain?

According to wikipedia a Troll is:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, Chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion which according to Nan, actually according to the rules of the Boneyard is not allowed on this board.

It is not nice, and more seasoned folks on this board are pretty good about using the emoticons when being sarcastic or silly.

Reaction Score
Thank you RadyLady....based on your response it appears there is a reasonable gap between provocative/controversial comments and trolldom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom