Question on scheduling "home coming" games for seniors... | The Boneyard

Question on scheduling "home coming" games for seniors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is this something that Geno and UCONN do for every senior for their last year? i know it generally gets discussed when they go to Ga Tech for Maya's homecoming game, or Pepperdine for Diana Taurasi, but do they do it for everyone? or just the very top recruits?

i Tiff is a senior this year but UCONN plays USF in Storrs.. Winterhaven is about 50 miles from USF, so was her "homecoming" game her junior year?

Next year Heather, Kelly and Caroline will be seniors. Heather won't need a "homecoming game" as every home game could be considered that. what about Kelly and Caroline? is Cinci close enough for Kelly? what about CD? this year we play at 'nova and at Pitt. next year would be at UCONN. is the another Pennsylvania team possible?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno does it for every senior. Kelly is from Plainfield, Indiana, a couple hours from Notre Dame. I seem to recall a large Faris contingent at the game the last time UConn went to South Bend. And Doylestown PA is close to Villanova as well, so all three are covered.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am not sure if they are always senior year. Tiffany's may not have been.

For Caroline, both her home and her school are about 15 miles from Villanova (in opposite directions).

For Kelly, we need to create a Bruinball Classic. The crowd at Notre Dame may nor be to welcoming. :)

For Heather, we should play Coast Guard. :)

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Geno does it for every senior. Kelly is from Plainfield, Indiana, a couple hours from Notre Dame. I seem to recall a large Faris contingent at the game the last time UConn went to South Bend. And Doylestown PA is close to Villanova as well, so all three are covered.
Cincinnati is closer than Notre Dame and the game at Louisville would be closer as well. IU, Butler and IUPUI would be much closer but the games would not be a challenge.

Reaction Score
The homecoming game isnt necessarily the senior year, and it's any game within a few hours of home. (Note, the Valleys didn't get one, since their parents could make it down to CT regularly.) With the expansive BigEast, most players are covered by conference games.

Only games that need to be scheduled for the current crew:
- Southern Cal area for Lauren & KML
- Iowa for Stokes
- Georgia for Banks
(though I'm sure Dolson would love a game against Marist!)

The extension of the Baylor series would give Moriah hers, and if Syracuse sticks around the BE for a few more years, Breanna would get hers. Otherwise look for a game against Colgate or Cornell.

Reaction Score
Is this something that Geno and UCONN do for every senior for their last year? i know it generally gets discussed when they go to Ga Tech for Maya's homecoming game, or Pepperdine for Diana Taurasi, but do they do it for everyone? or just the very top recruits?

i Tiff is a senior this year but UCONN plays USF in Storrs.. Winterhaven is about 50 miles from USF, so was her "homecoming" game her junior year?

Next year Heather, Kelly and Caroline will be seniors. Heather won't need a "homecoming game" as every home game could be considered that. what about Kelly and Caroline? is Cinci close enough for Kelly? what about CD? this year we play at 'nova and at Pitt. next year would be at UCONN. is the another Pennsylvania team possible?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think it's great when coaches do this for players. CVS did it this year for Chelsey Lee, and Erica Wheeler playing @Florida, and @Miami. But it's very sad that Chelsey didn't get to play in front of her family.

Reaction Score
Well! We seem to have gotten a less than total clarity so far on the subject! I do know at other schools I am aware of their policy with the men is or was to schedule during the 4 years a game in the home area of the player. LOL who knows how they do that now at major schools with
many kids leaving school early! As to the women< I love that they are here and graduate>Exceptions for transfers. We got a response from Nan stating that Geno does it for every SR! She then gave examples for 2012-2013 3 SRs. Kelly,CD*,Heather* Tiffany is the lone SR this season? The closest we came this season was SC College of Charlston. So is it during their career or SR year? Scheduling games in the areas of the kids also is a great recruiting tool.CT does not have the hotbed of elite kids that other areas do in their backyard. Though Stewart:p ain't bad,nor Tina*** & Dixon,CD is PA,Heather is CT.
Now this does mean that the game is literally in their hometown:p

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn does try to schedule local games for seniors. That proved to be a challenge in the case of Tamika Williams Raymond, with some of the more obvious candidates declining. Thanks again to Wright State, who despite being seriously over-matched, stepped up and agreed to a game.

Other than the obvious exception of Svet, one other exception was Jess Moore. I had hoped than Geno might sign up of the Anchorage Shoot-out, or whatever it is called, but that didn't happen, so she missed out.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn-Miami, I wish that could be scheduled...Moriah will also get to play against SMU and hopefully TAMU!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn-Miami, I wish that could be scheduled...Moriah will also get to play against SMU and hopefully TAMU!
Lakeland is pretty far from Miami but, yes, UConn-Miami would be a fun game. Unfortunately, Shenise Johnson is graduating this year so any future games wouldn't include her. That's too bad - she's a treat to watch.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn does try to schedule local games for seniors. That proved to be a challenge in the case of Tamika Williams Raymond, with some of the more obvious candidates declining. Thanks again to Wright State, who despite being seriously over-matched, stepped up and agreed to a game.

Other than the obvious exception of Svet, one other exception was Jess Moore. I had hoped than Geno might sign up of the Anchorage Shoot-out, or whatever it is called, but that didn't happen, so she missed out.
My wife and I drove to Dayton with our then five-month-old son for that New Year's Eve game with Wright State at the Nutter Center. As with other UConn road trips we've made, it was a blast seeing other Husky fans on the road -- especially with an infant decked out in UConn gear. It was a great place for a family to watch a game. At one point in the second half, the little guy demanded food and there as a discreet table and chair area overlooking the court that was a comfortable place to be a family watching the UConn family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom