Question on recruiting a PG... | The Boneyard

Question on recruiting a PG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

From what I've been seeing the past month or so, it seems like some fans are exhibiting hints of desperation with the PG recruiting situation. I do get that Ollie is obviously after a PG from 2014, which means that he clearly wants one, but I don't get why it's seeming that we are onto plan D and folks are stressed about it.

First, and I know Ollie knows best, but isn't Purvis projected to be a starting PG? And isn't he a 5 star kid? We know Shabazz is gone after this year, and we won't know about Boat probably till March or April, and I do think there's a chance he comes back. I'll admit i've not seen Samuel play, but couldn't he possibly be a backup to PG?

So next year, when the class of 2014 would be freshmen, we could have Purvis, Boat, and Samuel to play the 1. I don't blame kids for taking a pass on UCONN with that kind of logjam. Add in Calhoun at the 2 and even if the kid is a combo guard, between Purvis, Boat, and Calhoun he'd be fighting like hell for any PT.

Again, I get Ollie knows best and since he's looking for a PG obviously it means he wants one, but now that it seems we are onto Plan D (we missed out on our first 3 if we lose out on Snider), and I'm wondering what the thought process is with the coaches...

Reaction Score
He we go again!

They will tell us in.................... please someone stop me.............................20 minutes!

U

UCONNfan1

He we go again!

They will tell us in.................... please someone stop me.............................20 minutes!
What are you going on about? I'm not asking when we will land someone. I'm asking why it seems some are feeling a little desperate we aren't landing a PG, and maybe why the staff feels so strongly that we need one from 2014. Maybe this was already answered elsewhere and I missed it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What are you going on about? I'm not asking when we will land someone. I'm asking why it seems some are feeling a little desperate we aren't landing a PG, and maybe why the staff feels so strongly that we need one from 2014. Maybe this was already answered elsewhere and I missed it.
Yes you missed it. My feeling is it doesn't hurt to have redundancy because no one can predict if RB is back and it is possible that both Purvis and Samuel will be unable to lead the team. With that said most people are optimistic that this worse case scenario won't happen and most posters in this forum are not panicking. No one knows what the coaches are thinking.

U

UCONNfan1

Yes you missed it. My feeling is it doesn't hurt to have redundancy because no one can predict if RB is back and it is possible that both Purvis and Samuel will be unable to lead the team. With that said most people are optimistic that this worse case scenario won't happen and most posters in this forum are not panicking. No one knows what the coaches are thinking.
Oh sorry. My bad then!

Reaction Score
So next year, when the class of 2014 would be freshmen, we could have Purvis, Boat, and Samuel to play the 1. I don't blame kids for taking a pass on UCONN with that kind of logjam.

Our predicament is that while we fans look at the situation and say "Boat will be gone and Purvis isn't a point guard, we need someone at the 1," the top PG's view our situation next year and say "I'll have to compete with Boat and Purvis for playing time at the 1, no thanks."

It's hard to recruit around those question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom