Question on Ejections | The Boneyard

Question on Ejections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I have a quick question on ejections and thought this the right place to ask, since there are many knowledgeable fans here. If a player is ejected from a game, is she eligible to play the next one or is it only for that game?

Cal's Rashanda Gray (who either is great or limited because she can't stop herself from fouling) was ejected from today's game against Long Beach State after apparently stepping on a player against whom she had just committed an offensive foul. There is some speculation that she might be ineligible for their next game, which happens to be against Louisville, in Berkeley.

Frankly, if she isn't playing that game they will probably get blown out. I was planning to attend because I thought it would be a good game, but I am now having second thoughts....any idea whether she'll be in uniform?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Ok,i tried to save this and post it,hope it is readable.In the NCAA basketball rule book,section 5,C.any player ejected from a game is ineligible to participate in that game and the following game.no exceptions.basketball-rules_march2014.pdf

Attachments

• basketball-rules_march2014.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 385
Reaction Score
Ok,i tried to save this and post it,hope it is readable.In the NCAA basketball rule book,section 5,C.any player ejected from a game is ineligible to participate in that game and the following game.no exceptions.basketball-rules_march2014.pdf

These are NOT the NCAA rules. These are the rules from some colleges Intramural league.

Reaction Score
Here is the rule regarding ejection suspension from the NCAA

Section 7. Suspensions for Fighting Art. 1. Any team member or bench personnel who participates in a fight (regardless of whether he or she is a player at the time) shall be assessed a flagrant 2 technical foul. No free throws shall be attempted by either team when there are double flagrant fouls that are offsetting. Art. 2. The first time an individual participates in a fight during the season (including exhibition games), the individual shall be suspended from participating in the team’s next regular-season game (not an exhibition contest), including tournament competition. Art. 3. When an individual participates in a second fight during the same season, that individual shall be suspended for the remainder of the season, including tournament competition. Art. 4. When an individual participates in a fight during his or her team’s final game of the season, that individual shall be suspended from participating in the team’s next regular-season game (not an exhibition contest) for which that member or team personnel would be eligible. Art. 5. When an individual with eligibility for the next season participates in a fight during his or her final game of the season and that fight is the individual’s second fight of the season, that individual shall be suspended for the first three regular-season games (not exhibitions) of the next season. Art. 6. Any team member or other bench personnel under suspension for fighting shall not be in the team’s bench area. Art. 7. The referee may declare a forfeit when any individual fails to comply with any part of the penalties of this rule. Art. 8. After a game, conference offices or the assigning authority may correct an error about who was involved in a fight but cannot change an official’s ruling that a fight took place or lessen the severity of the penalty. The conference office or assigning authority may make those penalties more severe.

Reaction Score
I don't think the above is correct since it sounds like the incident was not a fight. The above only applies to fighting. (The above is also not from the current NCAA rule book, but the rule hasn't changed.)

I didn't see the game, but it sounds like it likely was a flagrant 2. Here are the current NCAA rules that might apply:

- - - - -
Art. 3. Technical Fouls . . . .

d. Flagrant 2 technical foul. A flagrant 2 technical foul can be either contact
or noncontact.
. . . 1. A flagrant 2 contact technical foul occurs when the ball is dead and the
. . . contact is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme. . . .

e. Contact dead ball technical foul. A contact dead ball technical foul
occurs when the ball is dead and involves contact that is unnecessary,
unacceptable and excessive, but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2
contact technical foul.

Section 25. Penalty
Art. 1. A penalty for a foul is the charging of the offender with the foul and/or
awarding one or more free throws, and/or awarding the ball to the opponent for
a throw-in. For any flagrant 2 foul, the penalty includes ejection of the offender.
- - - - -

Since she was ejected, assuming no other issues, it couldn't have been simply a contact dead ball technical - must have been a flagrant 2, which calls for automatic ejection. However, unlike the fighting situation - which was quoted in detail above - I don't believe there is any automatic suspension. However the school or the league could give out a suspension if they felt it warranted one.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
"Reshanda Gray, California’s leading scorer at 21.1 points per game entering the contest, was ejected with 1:44 remaining in the first half after a called offensive foul was ruled to be flagrant in nature." Sure sounds like a flagrant 2. No mention of a suspension in the news release.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She won't be ineligible unless the coach or the league wants to punish her.

Reaction Score
Sounds like this player has some anger management issues...........Hopefully he gets help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom