Question from the DePaul Game | The Boneyard

Question from the DePaul Game

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm bored... not only isolating due to the COVID surge but recovering from foot surgery.

At 7:52 in the fourth Lexie Held and Aaliyah were each assessed a foul. This was a weird play because I thought Aaliyah could have gotten a technical or worse for the pull-down of Held (but that's another discussion). The foul was Held's 5th and she should have been DQ'd.

The scorers did not alert the officials and Held remained in the game. If she had scored, gotten a rebound, assist, steal or any other box score eligible action what happens? If she fouled a UConn shooter (sixth foul) would we get the free throws? Is it all just wiped out like it never happened? If so, should the clock be rolled back to where she should have gotten DQ'd (I don't think they did)?

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If a player commits their 5th foul, but it is not reported by the Official Scorer, resulting in the player remaining in the game, I believe it leads to a tear in the space-time continuum. As a result, the player is transported through a solar vortex to another dimension where they are confronted by the ancient god of basketball.

This basketball deity, who is kind of short, is sitting in a lotus position, dispensing knowledge to those who seek the truth. Here’s a couple that may sound familiar

They say you learn from losing. Yea. It teaches you how to lose.

We don’t teach effort.

Some people practice until they get it right. We practice until we can’t get it wrong.

You’re not the only one who’s bored...... : )

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm bored... not only isolating due to the COVID surge but recovering from foot surgery.

At 7:52 in the fourth Lexie Held and Aaliyah were each assessed a foul. This was a weird play because I thought Aaliyah could have gotten a technical or worse for the pull-down of Held (but that's another discussion). The foul was Held's 5th and she should have been DQ'd.

The scorers did not alert the officials and Held remained in the game. If she had scored, gotten a rebound, assist, steal or any other box score eligible action what happens? If she fouled a UConn shooter (sixth foul) would we get the free throws? Is it all just wiped out like it never happened? If so, should the clock be rolled back to where she should have gotten DQ'd (I don't think they did)?

Good Meds.

Reaction Score
If a player commits their 5th foul, but it is not reported by the Official Scorer, resulting in the player remaining in the game, I believe it leads to a tear in the space-time continuum. As a result, the player is transported through a solar vortex to another dimension where they are confronted by the ancient god of basketball.

This basketball deity, who is kind of short, is sitting in a lotus position, dispensing knowledge to those who seek the truth. Here’s a couple that may sound familiar

We don’t teach effort.

Some people practice until they get it right. We practice until we can’t get it wrong.

Absolutely hilarious; well done, well done!

Reaction Score

We don’t teach effort.

Wow, I Don't know you that well, but that was the closest I've ever seen to "snarkiness" by oldude.
Come on man, dust off that rule book!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow, I Don't know you that well, but that was the closest I've ever seen to "snarkiness" by oldude.
Come on man, dust off that rule book!
Well, the truth is I don’t have a clue.

However, if the Official Scorer notifies the refs that a player has committed 5 fouls, the refs subsequently notify the player, and the player fails to leave the court within 30 seconds, the result is that a technical foul is assessed against the player and 2 shots awarded to the opposing team.

How’s that for dusting off the rule book?

Reaction Score

If a coach knowingly plays a disqualified player, or has more than 5 on the floor during a live ball it’s a technical foul, but not sure how you would prove that if they weren’t notified by the official scorer that they had a player with 5 fouls. What happens in the interim is not erased, the player is removed and the game continues from that point. Obviously their staff knew it, but the fault here lies with the official scorer, & iirc Geno was not at all pleased, especially since it was a home game. Maybe the scorer was also bored, or checking the Boneyard on their phone.

psconn

Reaction Score
Watch the replay. Held pushed first.
Like I said, I'm bored and have watched it many, many, many times. Yup, Held made first contact to get front box out position then Aaliyah hooked her arm (and initially Held may have pinned the hook) then Aaliyah pivots/rolls and executes a really impressive WWE-style body slam. Held was literally jerked right up off her feet... impressive strength by Aaliyah, but kind of a dangerous play. Both the NBA and WNBA have these arm traps and hooks as a point of emphasis due the chance of significant injuries.

Close your eyes and picture Arike doing this to Crystal... There'd be a Boneyard posse headed for South Bend within an hour.

Reaction Score

However, if the Official Scorer notifies the refs that a player has committed 5 fouls, the refs subsequently notify the player, and the player fails to leave the court within 30 seconds, the result is that a technical foul is assessed against the player and 2 shots awarded to the opposing team.

BTW, anyone who has a high school player or watches a high school game, the NFHS changed their rule this year when a player fouls out. The referee notifies the coach, & then the timer who puts 15 seconds on the clock. If the coach does not have a substitute at the table in that amount of time they are assessed a direct technical foul. 2 direct technical fouls or 3 technical fouls in any combination of direct or indirect & the coach is ejected. Their idea was to keep coaches from lobbying or complaining during their allotted time period to replace their disqualified player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Like I said, I'm bored and have watched it many, many, many times. Yup, Held made first contact to get front box out position then Aaliyah hooked her arm (and initially Held may have pinned the hook) then Aaliyah pivots/rolls and executes a really impressive WWE-style body slam. Held was literally jerked right up off her feet... impressive strength by Aaliyah, but kind of a dangerous play. Both the NBA and WNBA have these arm traps and hooks as a point of emphasis due the chance of significant injuries.

Close your eyes and picture Arike doing this to Crystal... There'd be a Boneyard posse headed for South Bend within an hour.
Held is a junior which means potentially 3 more games with body slam opportunities for Aaliyah. :eek: You do have too much times on your hands. I was secretly enjoying the replays of that move until you pointed out the potential danger-thanks a lot!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BTW, anyone who has a high school player or watches a high school game, the NFHS changed their rule this year when a player fouls out. The referee notifies the coach, & then the timer who puts 15 seconds on the clock. If the coach does not have a substitute at the table in that amount of time they are assessed a direct technical foul. 2 direct technical fouls or 3 technical fouls in any combination of direct or indirect & the coach is ejected. Their idea was to keep coaches from lobbying or complaining during their allotted time period to replace their disqualified player.
What was the old rule & time allotted? I guess they just got tired of the coaches using it as a time out (reward) for a playing fouling out.

psconn

Reaction Score
If a coach knowingly plays a disqualified player, or has more than 5 on the floor during a live ball it’s a technical foul, but not sure how you would prove that if they weren’t notified by the official scorer that they had a player with 5 fouls. What happens in the interim is not erased, the player is removed and the game continues from that point. Obviously their staff knew it, but the fault here lies with the official scorer, & iirc Geno was not at all pleased, especially since it was a home game. Maybe the scorer was also bored, or checking the Boneyard on their phone.
Doug Bruno tried to make the substitution, but the refs put the ball in play, so he sent the sub back to the bench.
So, if Held had fouled a shooter, she'd be DQ'd, (6PF in the scorebook) we'd get the shots, and life goes on. ✔️

Reaction Score
I seen the Uconn men play several years ago with a 6th guy on the court following a time out. This only lasted a very short period of time (a matter of a few seconds) until they could get the 6th guy off the court. The refs and officials did not notice the extra player, but the TV announcers were going nuts. No technical.

Reaction Score
What was the old rule & time allotted? I guess they just got tired of the coaches using it as a time out (reward) for a playing fouling out.

I don’t recall what the time limit was, but the coach had to have the player at the table by the time the 2nd horn sounded. I do believe the rule has been adjusted twice in the past dozen years for the aforementioned reasons. At the college level it’s basically a free timeout.

Reaction Score

We don’t teach effort.

Love it!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

What this tells me is that this is not the first time that Aaliyah has dealt with physical play in the paint, and she has learned to play in a way which discourages the opponent from persisting with it. I'm guessing that was a skill which she honed in international play, where the refs have (at least in their own minds) bigger fish to fry. Stef was known to do similar things, especially against "The Bruiser" (Becca Bruszewski from Notre Dame).

Or it may be a hockey mentality that is sometimes evident in players from the Province of Ontario, despite all the well-known civilizing influences of the Connecticut countryside.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah just gave notice that she will be giving up her UConn scholarship. She has gotten a very lucrative offer from the Worldwide Space Continuum Wrestling Federation after they viewed her single arm throw of Lexie Held. We want to thank her for her time at Uconn.

Reaction Score

Refs were embarrassed because they screwed up.

Reaction Score
It's 30 seconds and the coach usually would have the player stay on the court. That way they can talk to the players like a timeout and then send the sub to the scorers table when the time is up. Send the sub in right away and you lose that extra timeout.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I love a snarkily dusted rulebook! ;)

Reaction Score
Aaliyah just gave notice that she will be giving up her UConn scholarship. She has gotten a very lucrative offer from the Worldwide Space Continuum Wrestling Federation after they viewed her single arm throw of Lexie Held. We want to thank her for her time at Uconn.
Technically one must be at least 21 to join the Continuum..

psconn

Reaction Score
Watch the replay. Held pushed first.
A relatively routine foul (if there even was one) jostling for rebounding position does not excuse the subsequent very aggressive and unnecessary action.

This was not the only instance where the refs allowed unnecessary contact to occur without an appropriate call. It went both ways.

To be clear, I am not saying Aaliyah intended to injure Held. I'm just saying that she overreacted to the tangle in the heat of the moment, and coupled with a serious strength mismatch, this resulted in a dangerous situation for both players. The double foul was a total gift to UConn, IMO.

Again, try to remove the Huskyvision glasses and imagine the same action with an opponent's post player doing this to Paige, for example... torch and pitchfork parade for sure.

Ok, 'nuff said on this. Counting the hours to Baylor. ??????? Way too many hours....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A relatively routine foul (if there even was one) jostling for rebounding position does not excuse the subsequent very aggressive and unnecessary action.

This was not the only instance where the refs allowed unnecessary contact to occur without an appropriate call. It went both ways.

To be clear, I am not saying Aaliyah intended to injure Held. I'm just saying that she overreacted to the tangle in the heat of the moment, and coupled with a serious strength mismatch, this resulted in a dangerous situation for both players. The double foul was a total gift to UConn, IMO.

Again, try to remove the Huskyvision glasses and imagine the same action with an opponent's post player doing this to Paige, for example... torch and pitchfork parade for sure.

Ok, 'nuff said on this. Counting the hours to Baylor. ??????? Way too many hours....

Sorry. Can't disagree more. Aaliyah was hit by Held first. Aaliyah is always aggressive no matter who the other player is. Players get hurt when they try not to get hurt. Do you think she looks at the player on the other team and says I shouldn't be aggressive. No. She just makes the play, which is what we're going to need if we are going to beat Baylor. I don't wear glasses, not even Huskyvision.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Sorry. Can't disagree more. Aaliyah was hit by Held first. Aaliyah is always aggressive no matter who the other player is. Players get hurt when they try not to get hurt. Do you think she looks at the player on the other team and says I shouldn't be aggressive. No. She just makes the play, which is what we're going to need if we are going to beat Baylor. I don't wear glasses, not even Huskyvision.
If anyone thinks that hand to hand combat isn't part of the game take your eyes off the ball and watch the bodies. There is pushing, holding and all manners of WWE maneuvers occurring. Aaliyah just used an old Hulk Hogan elbow lock and flop move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom