Question for the board... | The Boneyard

Question for the board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The Romero kid transferred to Washington from Nebraska and got immediate eligibility. The White kid transferred from Illinois to FSU, same thing. Why didn't they have to sit out a year and Stevens and Camora do?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They petitioned the NCAA for immediate eligibility and those petitions were granted.

Romeo left Nebraska when Connie Yori resigned after allegations of player mistreatment. See here for more context on White and the lawsuit regarding the Illinois coach - FSU's Chatrice White granted immediate eligibility waiver

I don't think there was much (or enough) in the way of extenuating circumstances for either. Duke investigated JPM but kept her on as a coach with no discipline. There was a lot of turnover at Kentucky but Linnae Harper didn't get a waiver either. Also, I seem to remember Geno saying that they didn't even consider petitioning.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Found the quote (via Jim Fuller) - The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: No immediate eligibility for UConn's transfers

"I don't have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not," Auriemma said. "I just know that our two are not. From talking to them, it doesn't seem like there is anything that would make me think 'OK we should go and pursue this.' I don't know happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn't."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The Romero kid transferred to Washington from Nebraska and got immediate eligibility. The White kid transferred from Illinois to FSU, same thing. Why didn't they have to sit out a year and Stevens and Camora do?
Orang is confused. Romero left K-State after a coaching change. The school forbid her from transferring originally, and subsequently changed their mind under pressure. There was a hardship citing - as a foreign student she would have had to return home and not attend school if not on a basketball scholarship. I don't exactly know what in her story prompted the ability to play immediately but so it played out. I actually don't think most folks had a problem with it (many folks are not in favor of sitting out at all, although the reasons are understandable).

Orang is correct about White. Granting waivers of the sit-out rule is not unheard of, at all, but as Geno said, there has to be something there to be the basis.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orang is confused. Romero left K-State after a coaching change. The school forbid her from transferring originally, and subsequently changed their mind under pressure. There was a hardship citing - as a foreign student she would have had to return home and not attend school if not on a basketball scholarship. I don't exactly know what in her story prompted the ability to play immediately but so it played out. I actually don't think most folks had a problem with it (many folks are not in favor of sitting out at all, although the reasons are understandable).

Orang is correct about White. Granting waivers of the sit-out rule is not unheard of, at all, but as Geno said, there has to be something there to be the basis.

I assumed that "The Romero kid transferred to Washington from Nebraska" in the OP referred to Natalie Romeo as opposed to Leticia Romero. So my comments are regarding Romeo not Romero.

See here regarding Natalie Romeo - UW women expect to learn Natalie Romeo's eligibility fate before season opener

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

You and O are talking about two different people. O is referring to the player from Nebraska with a name similar to Romero's. (I can't call it up)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I assumed that "The Romero kid transferred to Washington from Nebraska" in the OP referred to Natalie Romeo as opposed to Leticia Romero. So my comments are regarding Romeo not Romero.

See here regarding Natalie Romeo - UW women expect to learn Natalie Romeo's eligibility fate before season opener

Interesting. The Romeo/Romero last names got me (re)interested in Leticia Romero's own transfer from Kansas State to Florida State. Specifically, did Romero petition to have the one-year rule waived? According to this Wikipedia post, she sat out the fall semester of her entry year(2014), but was, indeed, given an unexpected release to start playing after the winter holidays in 2015, which she did. So FSU has gotten two rather high-profile exemptions.
Leticia Romero - Wikipedia

BTW, it seems like Ms. Romero (at FSU) been on the scene forever!

Reaction Score
Interesting. The Romeo/Romero last names got me (re)interested in Leticia Romero's own transfer from Kansas State to Florida State. Specifically, did Romero petition to have the one-year rule waived? According to this Wikipedia post, she sat out the fall semester of her entry year, but was, indeed, given a release to start playing after the winter holidays, which she did.
Leticia Romero - Wikipedia

Seems like she's been on the scene forever!
FSU successfully petitioned for her not to have to sit out.

Reaction Score

Read all about the transfer and eligibility rules: Transfer terms. Preventing players from participating after a transfer rubs me the wrong way; it has a punitive feel to it. Is anyone happy with this arrangement? Maybe Trump will issue an Executive Order obviating the whole transfer business . . .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Read all about the transfer and eligibility rules: Transfer terms. Preventing players from participating after a transfer rubs me the wrong way; it has a punitive feel to it. Is anyone happy with this arrangement? Maybe Trump will issue an Executive Order obviating the whole transfer business . . .[/QUOTE

That I knew by reading that -- and other articles -- but didn't make clear in my post. FSU, by all accounts, didn't expect the petition to be granted and advised her as such. But it did...who knows why or why not? When coaches leave/get fired, why should the kid pay for it? Yes, I know you're supposed to pick a school rather than a coach or team, but reality isn't always on track with that thought. Luckily, things do seem to have worked out for Romero. Hope the same for Romeo and White.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I posted about this a while back specifically regarding White being immediately eligible while another Illinois player Brooke Kissinger who transferred to Creighton was not. I have read through the NCAA policy and one of the keys to a success application is for the institution the player is leaving to "support" the application process.
What follows is an accusation based solely on my speculations. The Illinois coach was under investigation, during the investigation Chatrice White's father was very vocal in his support of the coach while Kissinger was largely silent. The Illinois coach survived the investigation and the law suit was settled. My accusation is that the Illinois coach & or Illinois supported White's application to be immediately eligible.
JPM also survived an investigation and Azura was not the first transfer from Duke, so my guess is there was no chance in hell JPM was going to support a petition for any Duke transfer to be immediately for anyone. My further speculation is that is the "it" Geno is referring to.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Per the petition rules, successful FSU petition requires support from Illinois.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Oops - I just read the name, and jumped to conclusions.

Although we follow AZ, we opted for DirecTV and therefore don't get the Pac-12 network, so I have to admit my knowledge of Washington - besides Plum - is lacking. Although I follow (closely) who wins and loses and who the coaches and refs are, I am much less familiar with players. Except for RU and Arizona (and UConn) I would struggle to name more than 1 player from any other team.

So, sorry about that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have to admit my knowledge of Washington - besides Plum - is lacking.

I know the feeling, I watched the entire ND-Wash. game and can't name any players other than Plum & Osahor. I totally forgot Romeo was at Washington until the OP reminded me and she played 40 minutes against ND!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom