OT: Question for our California based fans | The Boneyard

OT: Question for our California based fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am looking for interesting things to see and do when I travel out to California for the Stanford game. I am staying in San Jose because it is close to the airport and close to where my son lives in Santa Clara. Already planning to do the Winchester Mystery House tour, but will have a couple of other days to fill and I am looking for some fun and intersting places to visit. Suggestions?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I am looking for interesting things to see and do when I travel out to California for the Stanford game. I am staying in San Jose because it is close to the airport and close to where my son lives in Santa Clara. Already planning to do the Winchester Mystery House tour, but will have a couple of other days to fill and I am looking for some fun and intersting places to visit. Suggestions?

A day in Monterey/Carmel/Point Lobos is always fun. Start at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, walk around Cannery Row, have lunch by the bay - if you like hiking, Point Lobos is really nice - just a little bit south of Carmel. Then head to Carmel - visit the beach (Pebble Beach is right there too) - lots of art galleries, good restaurants of all flavors.

Santa Cruz is also close. Visit the Boardwalk - if you like old wooden roller coasters. Head north to Steamer Lane - world famous surfing spot. Just past that is Natural Bridges state park. Then you could head up to Big Basin State Park and see the big redwoods (tallest) lots of great walks and hikes around there.

San Francisco is just a train ride away - so a day in the city is also fun.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If you haven't done it, make sure to ride the cable cars and visit the museum where you can see the cables in action. And, anytime we are on a coast, we look to get out on the water.

Enjoy the visit, we went to a pair of Rutgers games at Stanford and Cal a long time ago and had a great time.

Reaction Score
Last time I was in San Jose (with my wife), stayed at the Hyatt in Santa Clara. Being on East Coast time we woke up early; drove to Carmel and had breakfast in Carmel. Looked for Clint Eastwood but he was no where in sight. Then took the 17 mile drive around Montery peninsula. Many placesOno the 17 mile drive to stop and sight see. Near or at end of 17 mile drive was Pebble Beach Country Club. We had a late lunch at Pebble Beach over looking the 18th hole. All in all a great day.

Reaction Score
Visit my daughter (Fremont) frequently and one of my favorite trips is BART (or from San Jose, the train) into San Francisco, ride the cable car to the Embarcadero, wander a bit, take either a Red or Blue ferry over to Sausalito for an alfresco lunch (great views), ferry back with a stop at the Buena Vista for their famous Irish coffee, and either dinner in the city or back home after a great and full day. And, if you have wheels, you are about 1.5 hours from Napa - 880 to 680 to 580 to 780 to American Road to Rte 29 - then pick your spot for visiting and lunch and perhaps a purchase for shipping home (note if you're driving, I didn't mention much about tasting. Do enjoy your trip

Reaction Score
OOOOPs - just reread my thoughts and left out a freeway - can't get to Napa without going from 780 to 80E, then American Road, etc.

Reaction Score
I can tell you what my wife and I did the last time this happened -- the U of the Pacific/Stanford games. We had one day to see the sights. We did the Alcatraz tour (very touristy, but worth it). we went to Fisherman's Wharf (eve n more touristy, but worth it). we rode a cable car and got off to see the Cable Car Museum (not touristy and very worth it).

If we go this time, we're going to Napa fr a day. It's maybe an hour from Davis. We'll stay in or near Napa after the game and tour wineries the next day. They drive to SF, stay at a hotel there and tour around some the next day.

Just some thoughts. Also, if we go, are Boneyarders planning on a get-together at either game? and what are prospects for getting Stanford tickets once single tickets go on sale?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I would choose to visit coast redwoods, possibly in Big Basin State Park or further south in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Muir Woods National Monument across the Golden Gate Bridge from SF is another option.

If you've never seen them, well, you almost owe it to yourself to see them. :)

Reaction Score
Wally East said:
I would choose to visit coast redwoods, possibly in Big Basin State Park or further south in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Muir Woods National Monument across the Golden Gate Bridge from SF is another option.

If you've never seen them, well, you almost owe it to yourself to see them. :)

I have seen the giant redwoods. I spent the first 12 years of my life as a Southern California girl and my family did a lot of travel for summer vacations. Saw them on the trip up the coast to Vancouver. That was a long time ago. My son may not have seen them yet. He had been out there a year and a half. Something to consider.

Reaction Score
Rocket009 said:
A day in Monterey/Carmel/Point Lobos is always fun. Start at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, walk around Cannery Row, have lunch by the bay - if you like hiking, Point Lobos is really nice - just a little bit south of Carmel. Then head to Carmel - visit the beach (Pebble Beach is right there too) - lots of art galleries, good restaurants of all flavors.

Santa Cruz is also close. Visit the Boardwalk - if you like old wooden roller coasters. Head north to Steamer Lane - world famous surfing spot. Just past that is Natural Bridges state park. Then you could head up to Big Basin State Park and see the big redwoods (tallest) lots of great walks and hikes around there.

San Francisco is just a train ride away - so a day in the city is also fun.
Great suggestions. Carmel sounds nice and I do want to see the Pacific this trip. No swimming though. Brrr.

Reaction Score
HistoryMajor said:
Last time I was in San Jose (with my wife), stayed at the Hyatt in Santa Clara. Being on East Coast time we woke up early; drove to Carmel and had breakfast in Carmel. Looked for Clint Eastwood but he was no where in sight. Then took the 17 mile drive around Montery peninsula. Many placesOno the 17 mile drive to stop and sight see. Near or at end of 17 mile drive was Pebble Beach Country Club. We had a late lunch at Pebble Beach over looking the 18th hole. All in all a great day.

Another vote for Carmel. Sounds promising.

Reaction Score
HoopsHoppy said:
Visit my daughter (Fremont) frequently and one of my favorite trips is BART (or from San Jose, the train) into San Francisco, ride the cable car to the Embarcadero, wander a bit, take either a Red or Blue ferry over to Sausalito for an alfresco lunch (great views), ferry back with a stop at the Buena Vista for their famous Irish coffee, and either dinner in the city or back home after a great and full day. And, if you have wheels, you are about 1.5 hours from Napa - 880 to 680 to 580 to 780 to American Road to Rte 29 - then pick your spot for visiting and lunch and perhaps a purchase for shipping home (note if you're driving, I didn't mention much about tasting. Do enjoy your trip

Napa is a possibility... my son is a wine connoisseur. I am not a huge drinker myself but I could pickup the Thanksgiving wine to bting home.

Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
How long are you staying? Like wine?

Kind of a short trip. Fly into San Jose Friday around 1:00 and I will be on my own until the evening while my son finishes his work day. Will hang out with "the boy" on Sat and Sun. On my own again until game time on Monday then fly out Tues afternoon. I enjoy a nice glass of wine on occasion and I am considering a drive up to Napa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KnightBridgeAZ said:
If you haven't done it, make sure to ride the cable cars and visit the museum where you can see the cables in action. And, anytime we are on a coast, we look to get out on the water.

Enjoy the visit, we went to a pair of Rutgers games at Stanford and Cal a long time ago and had a great time.

Not sure we will go into SFO this trip but good suggestion for future reference.

Reaction Score
HoopsHoppy said:
OOOOPs - just reread my thoughts and left out a freeway - can't get to Napa without going from 780 to 80E, then American Road, etc.

That's what gps and navigation apps on phones are for. :)

Reaction Score
tomcat said:
I can tell you what my wife and I did the last time this happened -- the U of the Pacific/Stanford games. We had one day to see the sights. We did the Alcatraz tour (very touristy, but worth it). we went to Fisherman's Wharf (eve n more touristy, but worth it). we rode a cable car and got off to see the Cable Car Museum (not touristy and very worth it).

If we go this time, we're going to Napa fr a day. It's maybe an hour from Davis. We'll stay in or near Napa after the game and tour wineries the next day. They drive to SF, stay at a hotel there and tour around some the next day.

Just some thoughts. Also, if we go, are Boneyarders planning on a get-together at either game? and what are prospects for getting Stanford tickets once single tickets go on sale?

Did Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf last year when I helped my son move.

Would love a Boneyard get together either before or after the Stanford game. That would be fun.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
UConnChapette said:
Kind of a short trip. Fly into San Jose Friday around 1:00 and I will be on my own until the evening while my son finishes his work day. Will hang out with "the boy" on Sat and Sun. On my own again until game time on Monday then fly out Tues afternoon. I enjoy a nice glass of wine on occasion and I am considering a drive up to Napa.
if you do go to Napa it might make sense to pick out a few wineries beforehand. Joseph phelps does a private tasting, worth the price that is a course in fine wine. I've done it twice and joined the club so the tasting is free and I have about 8 bottles of great wine shipped around the year. Silver oak has delicious cabs, and you don't have to make a reservation. If you decide to go and want more specifics I'm sure we can all give you lots.

My son lives in Sunnyvale and we go out to Napa and Sonoma a lot.

Reaction Score
If you do go to Napa Valley, be prepared for an all-day trip. Lots of traffic on weekends, plus just the way it works you can't just drive up, stay a couple hours, drive back and still expect to have time left to do something else.

Reaction Score
I would strongly recommend Monterrey. The Cannery Row area where the Aquarium is located is a compact area to see and you can spent three days in the Aquarium. So, unless you aren't an aquarium person, go there. Viewing to otters in the bay is recommended.

Not recommended is the Johnny Rocket's. Normally, it is a nice place to eat, a retro 50's diner concept, but nicely done. My favorite is the old- fashioned chocolate malts, which usually comes with the extra in the cold metal mixing cups containers, as of old.
However, the Monterrey site was dirty, understaffed, food not well-prepared and the chocolate malt glass was not even full, and was served without the extra.

Every other food location is good. The is a really nice restaurant at the Monterrey Plaza and Spa Hotel and its fun just to walk around the hotel. (It is at the opposite end of Cannery Row from the Aquarium.)

My wife, son and I stayed there last year and it was less than I thought, a little over $200.00 a night, plus tipping everyone.

I decided not to go to the Stanford game (they are rich enough), but have a ticket for UC Davis.

Reaction Score
Is anyone planning a get-together -- even if just briefly -- of however many Boneyarders show up a the Davis game. We're likely to go.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
If you do go to Napa Valley, be prepared for an all-day trip. Lots of traffic on weekends, plus just the way it works you can't just drive up, stay a couple hours, drive back and still expect to have time left to do something else.

Instead of Napa, you could visit a couple of locations with less tourist traffic... The Russian River area in Sonoma Valley and Alexander Valley... I like the wines from these two locations more than the Napas...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Great suggestions. Carmel sounds nice and I do want to see the Pacific this trip. No swimming though. Brrr.

If you do go to Monterey/Carmel, there is a beautiful shoreside walk beginning at Cannery Row that goes through Pacific Grove to the end of the peninsula. But visit the Aquarium first.

Either the end of the Monterey Peninsula or the beach at Carmel (just follow Ocean Ave, running between 5th & 6th Avenues, west) are great places to watch the sun drown in the Pacific. If it's calm, I'd prefer the beach. The point is more exciting if the weather's blustery.

If you take the 17-Mile Drive around the peninsula, just after Seal Rock (you'll know why it's called that when you see it) look to the Cypress Point golf course on the left (the side away from the shore). If it's morning or evening, there will be parts of the local deer herd out on the course.

There is a large Ghiradelli shoppe in S.F. at Ghirardelli Square on the hill over Fisherman's Wharf, and a small one on Cannery Row in Monterey. Hot fudge!

At Fisherman's Wharf in S.F., there's the Musee Mechanique, a museum of coin-operated games and diversions that is an absolute hoot. Admission is free!

There are a boatload of things to see & do in S.F.'s Golden gate park, from the bison herd to the Japanese Tea Garden to the deYoung art museum to the California Academy of Science, which is a science museum and research center. There may be a polo game going on or model boat races in the lake and it's a great place for a shady walk. (Or sunny, if it's cool.)

For a different dinner you can try The Stinking Rose (menu) a restaurant of all things garlic. Have the bagna calda! Have the 40-garlic chicken! Have the garlic pizza! Especially have the garlic ice cream!! (No kidding, and it's a wonderful confection that starts out sweet on the front of your tongue and bites in the back.) You must love garlic, though, or there's nothing here for you.

The Exploratorium in S.F. is a fun place to explore science and marvel at the creativity of people who want to help you learn about it. It's aimed at kids, but as RBB&B circus says, "kids of all ages" holds true here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Son suggested Half Moon Bay. Said he would buy me a nice dinner overlooking the ocean. How can I pass that up?

Also, I will ask him for some suggestions for pre Stanford game meeting point for a drink or dinner. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
tomcat said:
Is anyone planning a get-together -- even if just briefly -- of however many Boneyarders show up a the Davis game. We're likely to go.
I'm going to the game. I will probably join whatever get-together is arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom