Question for Husky Fans... | The Boneyard

Question for Husky Fans...

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Obviously it was a great game and I can only imagine how you guys felt throughout the game and afterwards... it's a tough loss to swallow. If it's any consolation, it'll be a game that's talked about for years because of all the drama (that and the Louisville/Miss. State game!).

My question to UConn fans is do you think the move to the AAC has hampered UConn's preparation for the NCAA tournament? Or do you think their tough non-conference schedule is good enough?

Edited to reflect the actual conference... whoops!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AAC*.

Our football program was in the CAA before it joined the Big East, though.

Reaction Score
Obviously it was a great game and I can only imagine how you guys felt throughout the game and afterwards... it's a tough loss to swallow. If it's any consolation, it'll be a game that's talked about for years because of all the drama (that and the Louisville/Miss. State game!).

My question to UConn fans is do you think the move to the CAA has hampered UConn's preparation for the NCAA tournament? Or do you think their tough non-conference schedule is good enough?
Its AAC, and yes, its a problem.

Reaction Score
It's a double-edge sword. The AAC is one of the weakest conferences; especially for the women's game. But we do have a very strong non-conference schedule. I think that ND gave us all we could handle in December and that MM is as good of a late game coach as you can get; maybe better than Geno in OT. I give credit to ND. They were loose and played w/poise. What can you do? Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose.

I think our football team screwed us as far as conferences goes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Long as they playing that tough out of conference schedule it doesn't make s difference. UConn has beat all the "elite team"...

Reaction Score
I don't think the AAC is the problem. Come on guys. Go look at our schedule and the teams we played in the tourney to get to this point. The only way the schedule improves is if we start scheduling WNBA teams.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

My question to UConn fans is do you think the move to the CAA has hampered UConn's preparation for the NCAA tournament? Or do you think their tough non-conference schedule is good enough?
Yes, playing in the American is definitely a detriment to preparing for the Final Four. UConn virtually plays no competitive games after January 1st. Until somebody in the American can beat UConn, they are screwed in that regard.

Didn't anyone else notice that three of the four finalists were members of the old Big East. I think the ACC had the highest Rpi, and was the most competitive conference. Notre Dame benefited from that.

Reaction Score
Yes, playing in the American is definitely a detriment to preparing for the Final Four. UConn virtually plays no competitive games after January 1st. Until somebody in the American can beat UConn, they are screwed in that regard.

Didn't anyone else notice that three of the four finalists were members of the old Big East. I think the ACC had the highest Rpi, and was the most competitive conference. Notre Dame benefited from that.
Right other than Texas, South Carolina in South Carolina, and Louisville, there were no competitive games after New Years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

No, the conference has nothing to do with it. People who claim it does are just searching for an easy excuse.

UConn won the national championship in each of the first three years of the AAC. It certainly wasn't a problem then. In fact, other teams' fans were complaining that it was an *advantage* for UConn to play in a weaker conference because they were avoiding the wear and tear of a tougher conference.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't think the AAC is the problem. Come on guys. Go look at our schedule and the teams we played in the tourney to get to this point. The only way the schedule improves is if we start scheduling WNBA teams.
Teams don't take OOC games as seriously as conference games. There is just not the same pressure.

Reaction Score
20 years ago I used to think being the BigEast was a problem for this very reason, and for other coaches it would be. But Geno plays to a certain level not the opponent. And he puts them in impossible situations in practice.

If you say it's a problem now, why wasn't it a problem for the ~15 years the BigEast wasnt very good?

Reaction Score
I think it's a reasonable question to ponder. My opinion is also no, they do all the right things out of conference, including two tough later-season games versus Louisville and South Carolina. I actually think the lighter conference schedule helps the team nurse injuries and focus on late-season improvements via practice.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think moving the semi-finals to Friday and making the Huskies play on three days rest is not helping. Adverse conditions are always a great equalizer.

Having said that, Uconn has nothing to be ashamed of or worried about. They lost in OT on a last second shot in the national semi-finals in back to back seasons. That's as close as it gets.

Before that, they won the title 4 straight years while representing the AAC. The conference is not an issue

They have NO ISSUES, other than the fact that good teams will beat them once in a while. Can't win them all

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the level of play was not too much different in the old Big East; the name recognition of the league was better, Notre Dames was there for 2 games a year & it seemed like Villinova, Rutgers & BC stepped up in various years to provide tougher games. I don't think the non-conference schedule was as tough as it is now. I think the bigger factor is that there are more programs nationally that are beginning to compete. I thought that there were 5 or 6 teams going into this tournament that could push UConn & possibly win on a given night. The AAC might have more of an impact on our men's program (I said may have...); the parity in the women's game needs to continue to grow before conference affiliation will become a bigger factor.

Reaction Score
The old Big East the equivalent of the AAC?

Maybe 1991 and 1995. But after 1997 when ND and Rutgers came in it was LIGHT YEARS better than the AAC. I'm sorry but the AAC is a terrible terrible women's basketball league and I think it played a big role in the last 2 years losses.

Reaction Score
No, the conference has nothing to do with it. People who claim it does are just searching for an easy excuse.

UConn won the national championship in each of the first three years of the AAC. It certainly wasn't a problem then. In fact, other teams' fans were complaining that it was an *advantage* for UConn to play in a weaker conference because they were avoiding the wear and tear of a tougher conference.

WITH Breanna Stewart, Moriah, and Tuck. This group is not that.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame had to play at the same time

Not that it matters but it's kinda an hour earlier for them ;)

...and per the original topic, I think being in the AAC is a negative for UConn now and in the future.

Both items will appear occasionally on the lists of reasons why they lost last night (somewhere near the bottom).

Reaction Score
There's no way to know for sure, but I believe the AAC is absolutely a problem.After this year, especially, it will become a recruiting problem, and other coaches can truthfully point to UConn's record and say, in effect, "See? they're not what they once were AND you don't play against the best night in and night out." Once was an accident. Twice will be viewed, by everyone else, as part of a trend, and coaches will use that against UConn at every turn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom