Question For BY Coaches | The Boneyard

Question For BY Coaches

Reaction Score
Asked by a non-coach. In watching the Tournament this year and seeing different offensive schemes and talented players-am interested in the opinions of coaches re: the following question:

At the beginning of a season-- Does a coach install a primary offensive scheme that they expect their players to adapt to and adjust to throughout the season --PT being a function of the players ability to be efficient in that scheme.

Or do coaches have the flexibility to adjust to the talents of their players and deviate from their preferred offensive scheme to accommodate the talents of their players as they develop and improve over the course of the season?

I understand that matchups/defensive strategy of the opponents /foul trouble/injuries play into the calculus of an effective offense.

Curious how coaches have dealt with this challenge over their careers-Scheme over players or flexibility based on talented players over scheme.

Reaction Score
It's all about match up. Watching lots of film and looking for tendencies. Certainly, if there's a dominant player(s) on the other side, you make adjustments. If you think you're going with a set plan every game without adjustments, you won't be coaching long, or you're Jim Boeheim.

The great coaches are masters of devising the correct initial game plan, and making adjustments based on what the other team does.

Reaction Score
Asked by a non-coach. In watching the Tournament this year and seeing different offensive schemes and talented players-am interested in the opinions of coaches re: the following question:

At the beginning of a season-- Does a coach install a primary offensive scheme that they expect their players to adapt to and adjust to throughout the season --PT being a function of the players ability to be efficient in that scheme.

Or do coaches have the flexibility to adjust to the talents of their players and deviate from their preferred offensive scheme to accommodate the talents of their players as they develop and improve over the course of the season?

I understand that matchups/defensive strategy of the opponents /foul trouble/injuries play into the calculus of an effective offense.

Curious how coaches have dealt with this challenge over their careers-Scheme over players or flexibility based on talented players over scheme.

I don't think there are many college coaches on here, which changes a lot.

At the HS level we aren't recruiting to fit a scheme, if at all. For us, flexibility is 100% key. If a bunch of 5'10 shooters show up at tryouts next year, well.. I better learn to coach a 5 out.

At the college level, they're recruiting for a system on offense/defense. For us, it's obvious that we're prioritizing defender with size at the 5, length and athleticism at the 3/4 etc.

IN-season and pre-season, the best coaches like Calhoun are able to adjust what they do to meet the specific talents of their players. Some... don't. Inflexibility is a death sentence as a college coach.

Reaction Score
It's all about match up. Watching lots of film and looking for tendencies. Certainly, if there's a dominant player(s) on the other side, you make adjustments. If you think you're going with a set plan every game without adjustments, you won't be coaching long, or you're Jim Boeheim.

The great coaches are masters of devising the correct initial game plan, and making adjustments based on what the other team does.
Understood. As an example-When I watch a team we are familiar with in the BE-Nova. Their offensive scheme/ball movement seems to impose itself on the defense through its efficiency rather than having to adjust to the defense's ability to stop it. So Jay sticks with the scheme until/or if it can be stopped. And he admittedly recruits players that he believes can be efficient in that scheme.

Reaction Score
I don't think there are many college coaches on here, which changes a lot.

At the HS level we aren't recruiting to fit a scheme, if at all. For us, flexibility is 100% key. If a bunch of 5'10 shooters show up at tryouts next year, well.. I better learn to coach a 5 out.

At the college level, they're recruiting for a system on offense/defense. For us, it's obvious that we're prioritizing defender with size at the 5, length and athleticism at the 3/4 etc.

IN-season and pre-season, the best coaches like Calhoun are able to adjust what they do to meet the specific talents of their players. Some... don't. Inflexibility is a death sentence as a college coach.
Interesting and valuable input irrespective of what level of coaching is your lane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom