Question about Notre Dame Game.... | The Boneyard

Question about Notre Dame Game....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is just a question, and I was hoping someone might know the answer....
But during the most recent game Ariel Braker hit Stef Dolson in the throat with her elbow. What resulted was a foul on Dolson. I believe we can all agree to these facts.

But if the elbow is thrown aren't the refs able to look over the video to see if elbows were thrown? Also, could Geno and/or Stef have asked them to do so? Shouldn't there be some formal process to review things like this? They both were pleading their case.. Geno ended up picking up that technical but if they went back and reviewed it and saw that an elbow was thrown.... could they then assess a F1 to Braker if they did not originally call her for the foul????

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is just a question, and I was hoping someone might know the answer....
But during the most recent game Ariel Braker hit Stef Dolson in the throat with her elbow. What resulted was a foul on Dolson. I believe we can all agree to these facts.
I can't. From my recollection it was not a thrown elbow. More a forearm or hand to the throat area.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Meyers is correct. No "throwing" in the process - so probably not reviewable.

The whole elbow throwing thing is - to me - a rules quirk that needs tuning up. Yeah, its great when the ref's get a true thrown elbow - although sometimes it is retaliation for an uncalled foul, and, while still appropriate to punish, they can't go back and call a foul on the 1st player even if they see it on review. And sometimes, there isn't anything, and we just had a stoppage. Someone posted on the RU board that there were IIRC 40 minutes of ref initiated time out in a recent B1G game. Yuck.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Had the refs watched the replay they would have seen a ND defender trying to box out Dolson. She had her arms extended and slightly behind her. Her left arm was too high and it contacted Dolson's throat.

There was no thrown elbow. It was clearly unintentional. It was a foul but I don't know if the refs saw it or if they simply decided to let it slide. What they didn't let slide was Dolson's reaction. She grabbed the ND player's arm and twisted it violently.

Blame the refs for missing the foul but don't blame the ND player for a cheap shot. You should watch the replay before accusing a player of throwing an elbow to the throat.

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter whether Dolson used her neck to foul Braker on the elbow, forearm or hand. I don't believe using the neck to commit a foul falls under any of the "flagrant foul" provisions.

Reaction Score
01Neag had multiple posts during the game thread where he saw things no one else saw- I remember that quite clearly. He saw players step out of bounds, questioned whether Geno went onto the court before the T, and I'm pretty sure questioned whether ND was even an accredited school. Got to let it go at this point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
01Neag had multiple posts during the game thread where he saw things no one else saw- I remember that quite clearly. He saw players step out of bounds, questioned whether Geno went onto the court before the T, and I'm pretty sure questioned whether ND was even an accredited school. Got to let it go at this point.
Well that's understandable.

Reaction Score
Only a guess but the ref prob blew the whistle very soon on contact and the resulting "foul" on Braker could not be blown once the initial call was made. ND must be accredited. How could a devout Mormon from Samoa with an imaginary girlfriend be enrolled???:p

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Only a guess but the ref prob blew the whistle very soon on contact and the resulting "foul" on Braker could not be blown once the initial call was made. ND must be accredited. How could a devout Mormon from Samoa with an imaginary girlfriend be enrolled???:p

I thought the same when I saw the play live. Unfortunately, my slo mo replay doesn't have the audio but I now think the whistle was blown because of Dolson's action and that the foul by Braker may have been missed.

Reaction Score
Before we determine someone is dirty for the rest of their careers lets make sure we at least get the player correct. It was Wright that had the hand extended toward Dolson's neck...not Braker.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Before we determine someone is dirty for the rest of their careers lets make sure we at least get the player correct. It was Wright that had the hand extended toward Dolson's neck...not Braker.

Please forgive them. All ND players look alike from a UConn fan's perspective.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Wright should have been called for the forearm to Stef's throat. However, as often happens, the zebras called the second action which was Stef grabbing (sort of an armbar) her arm in an attempt to move it away from her throat and getting called for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom