Question about NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

Question about NCAA Tournament

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Under normal circumstances, the tournament takes place over three weekends, two games each weekend. But, with all teams in San Antonio, will they follow the same schedule? This would require 16 teams stay in San Antonio an extra week, and four teams stay an extra two weeks. But, if they try to condense the schedule, the players will be subject to fatigue, and eliminate recovery time. Does anyone know the plan? Is it listed somewhere? Thanks

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament will proceed much the same as in past years, with 64 teams and 6 rounds played over 15 days, from March 21 to April 4. The difference of course is that all games will be played in and around San Antonio.

How the teams deal with travel and hotel stays may be subject to variability. For instance, TX teams may choose to take a bus ride back to campus following the first 2 rounds and so on. I suspect a team like UConn will plan to make themselves at home for the duration. I also assume that many schools will attempt to stake out their own practice facilities, perhaps using local HS gyms.

Reaction Score
Note that the games are all being played in the San Antonio area but the early rounds are spread out into different facilities in the area with the later rounds all at the Alamodome. It will be a three-week tournament as it has been in the past.

Reaction Score
From the NCAA's website:

2021 NCAA women's basketball tournament dates, schedule​

ROUNDDATESSITEVENUE
Selection ShowMonday, March 15N/AN/A
First Round
(Round of 64)
March 21 and 22San Antonio
Austin
San Marcos
Alamodome (Two Courts)
Bill Greehey Arena
Frank Erwin Center
University Events Center
UTSA Convocation Center
Second Round
(Round of 32)
March 23 and 24San AntonioAlamodome (Two Courts)
Bill Greehey Arena
UTSA Convocation Center
Sweet 16March 27 and 28San AntonioAlamodome (Two courts)
Elite EightMarch 29 and 30San AntonioAlamodome (Two courts)
Women's Final Four
(National Semifinals)
April 2San AntonioAlamodome
National ChampionshipApril 4San AntonioAlamodome

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
From the NCAA's website:

Thanks. I would think the sweet sixteen teams ( and associates) would have to stay quarantined. What if someone associated with one of the teams tests positive for Covid? Will that team forfeit? These are definitely unchartered waters.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thanks. I would think the sweet sixteen teams ( and associates) would have to stay quarantined. What if someone associated with one of the teams tests positive for Covid? Will that team forfeit? These are definitely unchartered waters.
No problem for UConn. We have a Saylor on board for these uncharted waters.

Reaction Score
How the teams deal with travel and hotel stays may be subject to variability. For instance, TX teams may choose to take a bus ride back to campus following the first 2 rounds and so on. I suspect a team like UConn will plan to make themselves at home for the duration. I also assume that many schools will attempt to stake out their own practice facilities, perhaps using local HS gyms.
I highly doubt all of this. Keeping COVID out is #1 priority , otw the whole tournament is .

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I highly doubt all of this. Keeping COVID out is #1 priority , otw the whole tournament is .
So is it your suggestion that all teams that win and advance will be required to remain in their designated hotels in San Antonio, and that practice times and facilities will also be designated by the NCAA?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So is it your suggestion that all teams that win and advance will be required to remain in their designated hotels in San Antonio, and that practice times and facilities will also be designated by the NCAA?
I'm pretty sure I read an article that the NCAA is requiring exactly that. And requiring masks unless you are alone in your hotel room. Players are going to have sensors that will keep track of how close they are to other folks when unmasked (practice / playing) which will facilitate contract tracing. And etc. Looked extremely tough.

And yes, of course, practice facilities and times will be designated by the NCAA. I'm not sure that the schools will not have the ability to request specifics, but remember, "during" the actual "weekends" historically, the NCAA always did specify practice times and facilities. Part of keeping it equal for all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I read an article that the NCAA is requiring exactly that. And requiring masks unless you are alone in your hotel room. Players are going to have sensors that will keep track of how close they are to other folks when unmasked (practice / playing) which will facilitate contract tracing. And etc. Looked extremely tough.

And yes, of course, practice facilities and times will be designated by the NCAA. I'm not sure that the schools will not have the ability to request specifics, but remember, "during" the actual "weekends" historically, the NCAA always did specify practice times and facilities. Part of keeping it equal for all.
I guess that all makes sense. Let’s hope players don’t sneak out of their hotels for some of that great San Antonio texmex. ?

Reaction Score
Yes.

Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the bubble teams will request a visit from Jerry Seinfield.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If any team screws up, and doesn't obey Covid restrictions, then they don't DESERVE to win the Tourney!........Your mind has to be on that GOAL 100%,

Reaction Score
It will be interesting how many fans will be allowed to attend. Each team can have up to 406 family or friends. No decision on anyone else yet. The men hope to have up to 25% with distancing limits cutting into that.

Texas arenas are now allowing limited attendance, depending on the county Coiid %. But, how would that be affected by people coming in from out-of-state? One effect of the Texas big freeze will probably be lowered Covid numbers. The NCAA said they would be announcing attendance info soon.

I live in CA and would be tempted to go. I will have both my shots by middle March.

I wonder how many others would attend?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom