Qudus Wahab | The Boneyard

Qudus Wahab

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

Thought to be down to 3 schools good guys, Pitt and G-Town. Was at opening night with Akok. Fingers crossed.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
And when Jake from Stockrisers says he’s down to 3 schools he’s down to those 3 schools. Jake has a relationship with Wahab and has broken a bunch of news about his recruitment thus far.

Reaction Score
I know everyone wants Kofi due to his size and ranking, but in the modern era of basketball, I would much rather have Wahab. He will be here at least three years, great shot blocking ability, and has a higher upside than Kofi.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I know everyone wants Kofi due to his size and ranking, but in the modern era of basketball, I would much rather have Wahab. He will be here at least three years, great shot blocking ability, and has a higher upside than Kofi.
You can make this case for sure. But you could also argue that:
  1. Kofi's just a better player, and
  2. It sends an important long-term recruiting message to get a 7-foot, 300lb top 30 player from NYC
Also, bear in mind that college game & NBA are increasingly diverging. Kofi will be a monster in college even if he no longer projects all that well to the pros.

Reaction Score
Wahab is still the guy for me because he looks like a four year guy we can build around. Has a reputation for defense and rebounding and will likely offer at least as much offense as we got from Jake in 99. Great to get Kofi, and I admit to knowing nothing about how all these various guys will fit together, but that is the question that comes to mind when I think of putting five highly touted guys on the floor together.

Will they work well together, will they complement one another, or will there be friction from everyone wanting to be the center of attention so they can go in the lottery? That's obviously what Hurley is paid to figure out and make happen but it's got to be tough to know when you're recruiting them. Maybe Geno has offered advice on how to discern what really motivates each player.

Reaction Score
  2. It sends an important long-term recruiting message to get a 7-foot, 300lb top 30 player from NYC
Also, bear in mind that college game & NBA are increasingly diverging. Kofi will be a monster in college even if he no longer projects all that well to the pros.

Absolutely see that point.

Why does Wahab have a better list than Kofi? I just don't think Kofi grades out to be great defender in college, and you don't see old school back to basket big men any more.

Reaction Score
Cockburn would displace Carlton in the starting lineup on Day 1. Wahab, not so much.

If you want UConn to vault back into national relevance quickly, it has to be Cockburn.

Reaction Score

I think you are a great poster but gotta disagree here. Kofi is way better than Wahab. Kofi would command the starting Center position from his first day in the gym. He’d also be a Segway into us getting more dominant classic big men. I think Kofi is the most important recruit we’ve had in years.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think you are a great poster but gotta disagree here. Kofi is way better than Wahab. Kofi would command the starting Center position from his first day in the gym. He’d also be a Segway into us getting more dominant classic big men. I think Kofi is the most important recruit we’ve had in years.
IMO Wahab fits our team needs better than Kofi does. But ideally we would land both. We have 2 available scholarships now, I bet that number is closer to 3 or 4 as we will most certainly have a transfer or two.

Reaction Score

Totally fair. I know I am in the minority here, I just value defense and shot blocking more than any other tool for big men, especially in Hurley's system.

Reaction Score
IMO Wahab fits our team needs better than Kofi does. But ideally we would land both. We have 2 available scholarships now, I bet that number is closer to 3 or 4 as we will most certainly have a transfer or two.

I know I am probably wrong, and people much more connected with the team have said no, but I believe Hurley is trying to get both players to Storrs.

He knows our current front court situation is a nightmare (and it really is worse than people recognize), and wants to upgrade it immediately.

Reaction Score
How many times are we going to have the discussion of getting Wahab AND Cockburn. Its not happening. One or the other.

pj

Reaction Score
Absolutely see that point.

Why does Wahab have a better list than Kofi? I just don't think Kofi grades out to be great defender in college, and you don't see old school back to basket big men any more.

I'm sympathetic to your view, as Wahab looks potentially great defensively with his length and quickness, and Kofi's superior offense is less important as we'll have other scorers.

Both great prospects and I'll trust in the coaches.

Reaction Score
I think it keeps happening because they are both better than any current option we have. Wishful thinking.
Agreed, but these guys want to come in and start and play right away. They aren't looking to share time with each other. Whats best for us isn't necessarily best for these guys. It's not happening.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but these guys want to come in and start and play right away. They aren't looking to share time with each other. Whats best for us isn't necessarily best for these guys. It's not happening.

Granted they probably wouldnt start together, but both would see 20-25 mins next year as freshmen which would be equivalent as any other program that is recruiting them.

Reaction Score
We want Kofi.

Reaction Score
Kofi is 100x the better prospect for perception and skills. And we also have the better shot at him.

Kofi isn't a shotblocker like we would ideally have at the back end of a pressure defense, but he's also 300 freaking pounds.

Reaction Score
Kofi is 100x the better prospect for perception and skills. And we also have the better shot at him.

Kofi isn't a shotblocker like we would ideally have at the back end of a pressure defense, but he's also 300 freaking pounds.

I see 300 pounds as a negative. He would need to lose 20-25 to be effective in college.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Does Kofi have the footspeed to defend mobile bigs? That's one thing I'm a bit concerned about from what I've read.

Reaction Score
Does Kofi have the footspeed to defend mobile bigs? That's one thing I'm a bit concerned about from what I've read.

He is slow right now, no doubt. Abpout like Carlton.

Still far and away our best 5 spot recruit

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom