Qudus Wahab | The Boneyard

Qudus Wahab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After his final official visit today (11/11) Wahab said “I don’t have a commitment date yet. This year for sure.”

So as opposed to Cockburn and Mitchell, it sounds like Wahab is making a decision during the fall signing period (I'm assuming by "this year" he means 2019).

Even though Wahab (3 stars borderline 4 stars) isn't as highly rated as Cockburn (5 stars) or Mitchell (4 stars), I'd MUCH rather sign Wahab now than hold my breath until the spring.

Below are the 5 schools Wahab visited and his thoughts on each:

UConn: “Great school with great basketball history. I believe it can be a nice fit for me.”

Pittsburgh: “This is a great school too. I had the opportunity to meet the new coaches during my unofficial visit.”

Georgetown: “Great academic school. They are a school with a good history of power forwards/centers.”

Virginia Tech: “They have been recruiting me the longest and I believe in their systems too.”

Syracuse: “A basketball school with a great reputation. The academic program is nice too.”

In Hurley's first full year, a recruiting class of Bouknight, Gaffney, Wahab and Akok (?!!), plus a grad transfer TBD, would be top 15 in the country and more than we ever could have hoped for this time last year.

But the thought of losing Wahab to Cuse or Pitt, and then whiffing on Kofi and Tre in the spring, is starting to make me lose my hair...As they say- 3 stars are better than none.

C

Chief00

After his final official visit today (11/11) Wahab said “I don’t have a commitment date yet. This year for sure.”

So as opposed to Cockburn and Mitchell, it sounds like Wahab is making a decision during the fall signing period (I'm assuming by "this year" he means 2019).

Even though Wahab (3 stars borderline 4 stars) isn't as highly rated as Cockburn (5 stars) or Mitchell (4 stars), I'd MUCH rather sign Wahab now than hold my breath until the spring.

Below are the 5 schools Wahab visited and his thoughts on each:

UConn: “Great school with great basketball history. I believe it can be a nice fit for me.”

Pittsburgh: “This is a great school too. I had the opportunity to meet the new coaches during my unofficial visit.”

Georgetown: “Great academic school. They are a school with a good history of power forwards/centers.”

Virginia Tech: “They have been recruiting me the longest and I believe in their systems too.”

Syracuse: “A basketball school with a great reputation. The academic program is nice too.”

In Hurley's first full year, a recruiting class of Bouknight, Gaffney, Wahab and Akok (?!!), plus a grad transfer TBD, would be top 15 in the country and more than we ever could have hoped for this time last year.

But the thought of losing Wahab to Cuse or Pitt, and then whiffing on Kofi and Tre in the spring, is starting to make me lose my hair...As they say- 3 stars are better than none.

A tip from Chief’s recruiting expertise - usually when a recruit discusses multiple schools and uses the word “too” about an attribute. He’s not going to that school.

Reaction Score
A tip from Chief’s recruiting expertise - usually when a recruit discusses multiple schools and uses the word “too” about an attribute. He’s not going to that school.

so then its between uconn and gtown...

Reaction Score
So it’s between us and Gtown?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Note that he only talks about the fit at one school.

Just saying.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder if he's waiting to see what Akok does.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, getting one of your top 2 targets instead of your 3rd is just horrible. I hope Hurley can recover.

who are you assuming we're getting?

the implication here was if we don't get wahab this month we go into the spring with 0 centers and at that point I'm not holding my breath for kofi or tre.

hopefully wahab will commit the day after akok.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
who are you assuming we're getting?

the implication here was if we don't get wahab this month we go into the spring with 0 centers and at that point I'm not holding my breath for kofi or tre.
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding that these kids can commit whenever they want even if they wait to sign until the spring. Committing and signing an LOI are two different things. There’s a good chance that none of Akok, Kofi, Mitchell sign before next week’s deadline, but that doesn’t mean they can’t all be commit to schools at any point. I don’t blame them, signing a LOI is basically pointless.

If we were going to miss on all 3, Hurley would have offered another center. They could have offered Coulibaly, but they didn’t. The staff is in a good spot, even if the timeline isn’t as accelerated as people want.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding that these kids can commit whenever they want even if they wait to sign until the spring. Committing and signing an LOI are two different things. There’s a good chance that none of Akok, Kofi, Mitchell sign before next week’s deadline, but that doesn’t mean they can’t all be commit to schools at any point. I don’t blame them, signing a LOI is basically pointless.

If we were going to miss on all 3, Hurley would have offered another center. They could have offered Coulibaly, but they didn’t. The staff is in a good spot, even if the timeline isn’t as accelerated as people want.

Well I hope you're right that we do get 1/3.

But Tre and Kofi both said they won't commit/decide until the spring, which is why i'd be infinitely more comfortable with wahab committing this month rather than waiting it out (whether or not he signs his LOI too).

Reaction Score

To me - that kind of tells you everything you need to know.

I'm not that comfortable about Kofi or Wahab, but I really think we're in the lead on Akok. Chief seems to think it's done, the people I talk to think it's done, too. Could actually be done - they just haven't said anything. Not that it's unusual for Putnam kids to show up in Storrs for the heck of it - but he took his visits and then not only came back here, but sat behind the bench and made kissy face with Hurley after the game. I don't think that's a coincidence. He could be at a Providence game, too - but he's not.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that his Dad has been big on Syracuse for a long time (I guess he's had a relationship with them for a long while - correct me someone if i'm wrong), I heard. And we know how that goes (Diamond Stone)... McNamara is just as wild about him as Hurley's been. People I talked to said he told Hurley he wanted to come, but needed to talk to the family and get them on board. It might take some convincing or his family could be 100% for it - but whatever it is, it's just taking some time. Or he could be in the ARE YOU SURE? NO, SERIOUSLY ARE YOU REALLY, REALLY SURE stages of this. I'm whizzing into the wind a bit on this, but that's what i'm reading through the tea leaves.

Push comes to shove, I think we're gonna get him.

Reaction Score

I'm not that comfortable about Kofi or Wahab, but I really think we're in the lead on Akok. Chief seems to think it's done, the people I talk to think it's done, too. Could actually be done - they just haven't said anything. Not that it's unusual for Putnam kids to show up in Storrs for the heck of it - but he took his visits and then not only came back here, but sat behind the bench and made kissy face with Hurley after the game. I don't think that's a coincidence. He could be at a Providence game, too - but he's not.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that his Dad has been big on Syracuse for a long time (I guess he's had a relationship with them for a long while - correct me someone if i'm wrong), I heard. And we know how that goes (Diamond Stone)... McNamara is just as wild about him as Hurley's been. People I talked to said he told Hurley he wanted to come, but needed to talk to the family and get them on board. It might take some convincing or his family could be 100% for it - but whatever it is, it's just taking some time. Or he could be in the ARE YOU SURE? NO, SERIOUSLY ARE YOU REALLY, REALLY SURE stages of this. I'm whizzing into the wind a bit on this, but that's what i'm reading through the tea leaves.

But was it a winky kissy face???

Reaction Score
Well I hope you're right that we do get 1/3.

But Tre and Kofi both said they won't commit/decide until the spring, which is why i'd be infinitely more comfortable with wahab committing this month rather than waiting it out (whether or not he signs his LOI too).
Even if Akok and Wahab were to commit this week, they're not signing LOIs. Their recruitment will continue into the spring just like we will need to continue to recruit Gaffney and Bouknight

Reaction Score
Even if Akok and Wahab were to commit this week, they're not signing LOIs. Their recruitment will continue into the spring just like we will need to continue to recruit Gaffney and Bouknight

This is definitely true, unless it’s not. In that case it would not be true. But until then it’s definitely absolutely true. Cuz I said so. Fact checked. Deposit it. Certified. Not casual. That’s me to you, insider to outsiders. If it doesn’t happen it’s on you.

C

Chief00

Family dynamics, another aspect of recruiting. That’s one reason exact timing of commitments can be tricky.
Calhoun preferred recruits without families LOL or more accurately a strong family influence - other than the mom.

Reaction Score
Family dynamics, another aspect of recruiting. That’s one reason exact timing of commitments can be tricky.
Calhoun preferred recruits without families LOL or more accurately a strong family influence - other than the mom.

To clarify, did you mean Calhoun didn't want strong family influence on decisions EXCEPT for Moms?

Reaction Score
Damn. How well we perform this season could make or break the 2019 class. It all starts tonight.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Damn. How well we perform this season could make or break the 2019 class. It all starts tonight.

Yup. No question that’s how it looks.

It also could just mean that they’re waiting to sign with duke and Kentucky after seeing who leaves.

Reaction Score
...his Dad has been big on Syracuse for a long time (I guess he's had a relationship with them for a long while - correct me someone if i'm wrong), I heard. And we know how that goes (Diamond Stone)...

We lost Diamond Stone because he was paid to go to Maryland. Stone, who played for the Terps during the 2015-16 season before turning pro, received $14,303, according to documents viewed and published Friday by Yahoo Sports. The money came from the agency owned by longtime NBA agent Andy Miller. The documents are part of an FBI investigation into illegal payments to numerous colleges and players.

Reaction Score
precious, kofi and tre haven't used up their official visits yet so they're def waiting to see who leaves duke, uk, kansas, etc.

but wahab and akok already have it narrowed down by all acounts.

wahab is between us and gtown.

akok is between us and pitt (and the g-league lol).

either way the stakes for this season just went through the roof.

i wish these guys were more like bouknight and gaffney. they proved their faith in hurley and signed their LOIs before we even played Syracuse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom