Quality Offensive Line Coach | The Boneyard

Quality Offensive Line Coach

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
8cc4ccadd4c5e47a052f3f7e438d6f22_400x400.jpeg

Reaction Score
Auburn has run a combination of zone and man blocking in the past, so I assume we'll be teaching and running both here as well. I feel like the base running plays will be inside zone, zone read, power, and counter. It's pretty hard on the line and the OL coach to teach and run all of these techniques at once so it will be interesting to see who we bring in.

Reaction Score
How does GDL keep on keeping on? Was it just the PP relationship that kept him from using blocking sleds and other tools of the trade? Did He go to Texas A&M?

Reaction Score
How does GDL keep on keeping on? Was it just the PP relationship that kept him from using blocking sleds and other tools of the trade? Did He go to Texas A&M?
Rhule brought him to Baylor with him.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Could it be that he is an effective Offensive Line Coach?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would guess part of the Lashlee deal to come here is that he gets a strong say on the offensive staff. I would guess he will pick the OL coach...and with no ties to Foley, I doubt it will be him. I really do hope Lashlee is picking his staff...his system is different enough from what RE would run that he needs to bring in the right people to run his scheme.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I would guess part of the Lashlee deal to come here is that he gets a strong say on the offensive staff. I would guess he will pick the OL coach...and with no ties to Foley, I doubt it will be him. I really do hope Lashlee is picking his staff...his system is different enough from what RE would run that he needs to bring in the right people to run his scheme.
I agree with this but, at 33 yrs old and having worked with relatively few OL coaches at this level, I wonder what his pool of options really is, especially those willing to take a flyer and come to CT and the AAC. So, while HCRE may have given him a lot of say in the selection, I'm pretty sure Randy has some suggestions for OCRL in this area, as might ACTR. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out, hopefully soon.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'd be floored if Randy and Rhett haven't already discussed what kind of blocking scheme and/or techniques they'd like to teach and execute. If Rhett's Rolodex is lacking and Randy says he knows a guy who teaches what we want to do, I would think Rhett would sign off without hesitation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agreed OLC is critical. Not the guy above though.
Why not he was pretty funny on that show "Coach" or was that a different guy.
hqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
As a position coach he is very effective. PP gave him too much responsibility.

Reaction Score
As a position coach he is very effective. PP gave him too much responsibility.
I'd agree with that, among several coaches I know who got their start in the CT area either in HS or college FB, GDL still commands quite a bit of respect. That being said, as a HC or play caller, he was not anything special, but as a position coach he's pretty good.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Obviously critical who Randy and Rhett hire for Offendive Line Coach. Good piece on 9 qualities coaches look for in an O Line Coach.

9 traits that head coaches and coordinators look for when hiring an offensive line coach - FootballScoop

my personal specialty, the last one could not be more true, to truly appreciate and understand all of the work that goes into being/ working on the O-line you had to have spent some time in the trenches. gimme the big nastys all day.

Reaction Score
Our comfort level comes from Randy.

Norries then Mike Foley. The last Maryland OL coach is now at Ohio State. That's a helluva lot better than what either PP or BD brought forward. Let's get back to pushing opponents around.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I have the utmost confidence we'll bring in a very good OL coach when all is said and done. But in my mind's eye I can see OCRL right now pouring over resumes and doing phone interviews, including with candidates suggested by HCRE. This is a huge first hire for him and Husky football, and he knows it.

I know I've posted this elsewhere already but I'm guessing his Rolodex is pretty slim in this area given his age and experience, especially for quality guys he knows personally (i.e other P5 coaches) who are willing to take the career and financial risk of coming to UConn. I'm sure there are other Billy Crocker type guys out there that both he and HCRE can agree on, but I'm guessing the selection process is going slower due to OCRL wanting to own it, and HCRE wanting him to as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom