QB Starter 2022 (Poll) | The Boneyard

QB Starter 2022 (Poll)

Who Starts?

• Total voters

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just for fun, with two weeks until game 1, and a starter likely being named in the next few days, let’s take a poll.

Reaction Score
I think it’ll be Roberson but I really hope it’s Turner. Would be happy with Roberson but it just means that Turner learned/adjusted quickly and really outperformed Roberson who kind of had an inside track.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seems like it should be Roberson but the lo ger it takes him to seize the position he started camp at #1, and with coaches still saying his decision making still needs improving, I'm going with Turner.

I actually think Roberson will start but if he becomes a TO machine or misses reads, Turner will quickly get a chance.

So, I kinda hedging my bets. Roberson starts game 1 but Turner will be starter by October.

Reaction Score
It is hard to read between the lines when Mora speaks. He likes to say positive things about all of our players. Nevertheless , I am guessing that it will be Roberson. I am also guessing that Turner is a pretty close second and is likely to see the field this year.

Reaction Score
Seems like it should be Roberson but the lo ger it takes him to seize the position he started camp at #1, and with coaches still saying his decision making still needs improving, I'm going with Turner.

I actually think Roberson will start but if he becomes a TO machine or misses reads, Turner will quickly get a chance.

So, I kinda hedging my bets. Roberson starts game 1 but Turner will be starter by October.
Agreed. Roberson is the game 1 starter. He won’t get benched during the Utah St. game unless its a train wreck. However if he does meh in the first game I can see Turner getting a chance vs. CCSU. I’m still wondering about Millen though.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Roberson is the game 1 starter. He won’t get benched during the Utah St. game unless its a train wreck. However if he does meh in the first game I can see Turner getting a chance vs. CCSU. I’m still wondering about Millen though.

I am hoping lots off guys get a chance vs. CCSU because we are up 28 at the half. Coolaid talk, I know.

Reaction Score
Roberson starts and stays in for the entire Utah State game and plays the first half against CCSU. If things go poorly or very well in the first half against CCSU, Turner will get a taste in the second half. Tyler Phommachanh won't play until later in the season. CM will get some after the OL gels, if it gels. But he will get in -- if only because of injuries -- of which there will be some .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the past is any guide, the starter will throw more picks than first downs and be replaced once the game is out of hand, the second guy will get hurt in the first half of the 2nd game after a few mop up TD's in the 2nd half of game 1, and the 3rd guy will play just well enough to convice everyone he should have been starting all along.

Reaction Score
If the past is any guide, the starter will throw more picks than first downs and be replaced once the game is out of hand, the second guy will get hurt in the first half of the 2nd game after a few mop up TD's in the 2nd half of game 1, and the 3rd guy will play just well enough to convice everyone he should have been starting all along.
Love your optimism. ;)

But yes, the past has often been prelude in the last decade. If that indeed changes it would amount to progress.

Reaction Score
I may be the only one, but I like that the staff has not declared a winner at qb yet. We have 1 guy who’s been here months and 2 guys who’ve been here weeks. Give them time to learn the playbook and signals, before ending the competition. Why tell Zion or Millen to step back? Why tell TR you won? Building competition at every position is paramount.

That said, a road game 2 time zones away against what could be a good team is not a factor in Zs favor.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Why tell Zion or Millen to step back?
You do it so QB1 gets more reps with the starters. It's is definitely an advantage to have the starter identified by now.

But....if it's not clear you just do the best you can. The upside is that if you need to make a quarterback change....for whatever reason...your #2 will have reps with the starters.

Reaction Score
You do it so QB1 gets more reps with the starters. It's is definitely an advantage to have the starter identified by now.

But....if it's not clear you just do the best you can. The upside is that if you need to make a quarterback change....for whatever reason...your #2 will have reps with the starters.

It’s only an advantage if you have a clear #1 and we do not.

Since we don’t it’s better to have a battle and have QBs get sharper through competition. Of Mora wants to wait until the week prior that’s absolutely fine. It doesn’t sound like the offense will be much better or worse with one QB over the other.

That being said, if you are Taquan Roberson and you can’t separate yourself from a true freshman right now then the freshman is pretty good or….

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Love your optimism. ;)

But yes, the past has often been prelude in the last decade. If that indeed changes it would amount to progress.

This year, I am determined to be pleasantly surprised and setting expectations accordingly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s only an advantage if you have a clear #1 and we do not.

Since we don’t it’s better to have a battle and have QBs get sharper through competition. Of Mora wants to wait until the week prior that’s absolutely fine. It doesn’t sound like the offense will be much better or worse with one QB over the other.

That being said, if you are Taquan Roberson and you can’t separate yourself from a true freshman right now then the freshman is pretty good or….

It's that last paragraph I keep curcling back to.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That’s what’s worrying me as well. Hoping Mora knows Roberson is the starter, and is playing coy to keep everyone sharp. But Turner taking first team reps makes me think it’s the former.

Reaction Score
I am hoping lots off guys get a chance vs. CCSU because we are up 28 at the half. Coolaid talk, I know.
Yup you are hooked up to a Kool Aid IV drip but what the heck we all deserve to dream once in a while, right?

Reaction Score
The upside is that if you need to make a quarterback change....for whatever reason...your #2 will have reps with the starters.
Yeah, this speaks to the fact that the OL is unproven. QB's are likely to get banged up if the OL turns out to be a work in progress.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this speaks to the fact that the OL is unproven. QB's are likely to get banged up if the OL turns out to be a work in progress.
A major factor for Mora and Charlton has to be, who do they want on the field (Roberson or Turner) knowing that the OL is going to have some issues. Which QB is better at evading defenders in the backfield and still getting off a decent pass, or which guy better recognizes some blockers downfield and runs for a score. Which guy has the better speed and which guy can better hold onto the ball, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Roberson, but mostly by virtue of experience and upcoming opponent. They are looking hard at Turner though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A major factor for Mora and Charlton has to be, who do they want on the field (Roberson or Turner) knowing that the OL is going to have some issues. Which QB is better at evading defenders in the backfield and still getting off a decent pass, or which guy better recognizes some blockers downfield and runs for a score. Which guy has the better speed and which guy can better hold onto the ball, etc.

All those fall under the decision making category to me and Mora has specifically said Roberson needs to get better in those situations of knowing when to throw it away or eat the ball as compared to always trying to make the pass. I am confident in Roberson's legs if he tucks it and runs.

Reaction Score
Is Saturday another scrimmage and Sunday a rest day? If so, those with access to practice on Monday should be able to tell us that evening who the starter is if there is no prior announcement. Game week is serious stuff. When do they travel, Thursday?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think the question should be asked this way:

Which guy can most consistently find the open guy quickest and get him the ball without throwing it to the other guys?

What should we consider acceptably consistant before trying someone else? In the past, we've all been duped by one or two good throws as a sign of the next coming. We're still desparate for quality play, but be should be better at recognizing the differences between a guy having a good series/game and doing the things that will lead to better long term outcomes.

For me, turnovers and ignoring wide open guys will be the line. Accuracy has to be a given. A QB missing wide open receivers has to sit quickly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the question should be asked this way:

Which guy can most consistently find the open guy quickest and get him the ball without throwing it to the other guys?

What should we consider acceptably consistant before trying someone else? In the past, we've all been duped by one or two good throws as a sign of the next coming. We're still desparate for quality play, but be should be better at recognizing the differences between a guy having a good series/game and doing the things that will lead to better long term outcomes.

For me, turnovers and ignoring wide open guys will be the line. Accuracy has to be a given. A QB missing wide open receivers has to sit quickly.
Roberson has been inconsistent as far as I can tell from the commentary. He’ll make a play and then throw an interception. I think that is a big part of why the position isn’t settled. When he transferred I really expected, and wanted, him to be the guy. The fact that this isn’t settled yet makes me think that he’s giving the coaching staff reasons to be skeptical.

I just want just to be consistent in the position. I want our opening day named quarterback to be the guy throughout the season. Rotating QBs in and out on a game by game basis is a formula for, at best, mediocrity. I don’t see Jim Mora doing it unless the opening day quarterback doesn’t show up under pressure.

Reaction Score
Both will play. Roberson to start. If the O struggles against CCSU in the first half, then it will be Turner. For reasons of injury or lack of production two will play.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Roberson has been inconsistent as far as I can tell from the commentary. He’ll make a play and then throw an interception. I think that is a big part of why the position isn’t settled. When he transferred I really expected, and wanted, him to be the guy. The fact that this isn’t settled yet makes me think that he’s giving the coaching staff reasons to be skeptical.

I just want just to be consistent in the position. I want our opening day named quarterback to be the guy throughout the season. Rotating QBs in and out on a game by game basis is a formula for, at best, mediocrity. I don’t see Jim Mora doing it unless the opening day quarterback doesn’t show up under pressure.

Wish there was an "Agree" icon we could attach for posts like this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom