QB next year | The Boneyard

QB next year

Reaction Score
I was on the field pre game yesterday for an event and we were on the sidelines watching the QBs warm up. Who is the odds on favorite to be the starting QB next year? Washington? Doesn’t Krajewski come in with the most accolades? Masek? Is there any hope that one of those kids can come in and really build something?

Reaction Score
Not sure we (the public) have seen much to indicate who will be or should be starting next year. I'd think JUCO is also a possibility.

There was a lot of hype around Krajewski when he was recruited so if I had to take a stab in the dark he'd be my guess. Will probably have to wait till the Spring Game to have a better idea.

Reaction Score
Wide open competition between Washington and Krajewski I believe. Both bring different skill sets. I can’t make an informed guess without personally seeing what Krajewski has got. Maybe in the last two games.
If I was a betting between the two of them I would put my money on Krajewski based solely on Washington’s performance. Washington has already played in three games and his stats are not that impressive, 9-24 (37.5%), 1TD, 3INT and 3FMB. He does not look comfortable and looks like he is lost.

The coaching staff won’t be able to evaluate them in the Spring Game because Edsall has already announced there won’t be one next season. So, whoever it is will need to get some reps in the next two games to see what we have for the future. Plus, it will give the new QB some experience and confidence going into the opening game for 2019. If we are down by three or four scores I would hope to see someone else under center, no matter how much time is left in the game.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately next year's AAC East might have the best group of QB's in all of college football.:

UCF - Milton
Temple - Russo, looks like a top 10 NFL pick
East Carolina - Ahlers true frosh who is going to be a stud
USF- Barnett - up and down year but a talent
Cincy- Ridder impressive looking frosh QB

UCONN might as well play Krajewski and let him learn on the job next year because the schedule will be brutal. We might even go with two QB's next year as Washington offers some running ability. Maybe Krajewski and Washington share the job to start the season. We're playing for 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With 2 games left in the season, & Krajewski not getting a sniff of playing time to date (with the new 4 game redshirt rule in effect), I'm of the opinion that next year's starting signal caller isn't yet on the Huskies roster. Betting that HCRE is banking on a Tyler Lorenzen type Juco redux, & still trying to recruit his 2nd Orlovsky.

Reaction Score
With 2 games left in the season, & Krajewski not getting a sniff of playing time to date (with the new 4 game redshirt rule in effect), I'm of the opinion that next year's starting signal caller isn't yet on the Huskies roster. Betting that HCRE is banking on a Tyler Lorenzen type Juco redux, & still trying to recruit his 2nd Orlovsky.
According to Edsall, and even Orlavsky himself, Krajewski is a better prospect coming out of high school than Dan. If he brings in another JUCO quarterback we will be hard pressed to get any half way decent HS quarterback to come here.

I have no idea why Edsall is playing games with the QB2 position. It seems like Edsall is not giving any other QB, except Washington, an opportunity to prove themselves. Washington has been benched for two spring games, two away games and the last three games of the season. Yet, the only thing Edsall talks about is how he gave him a chance to decide his own punishment (if you want to call it that) and how he he gave him a great big hug.

I’m glad he is giving the kid a second, third and fourth chance but don’t do it at the expense of other players. In every game that Washington was benched RE didn’t even name a backup and still had him listed as QB2 on the depth chart. I’m sure Bisack, McAfee and Krajewski are scratching their heads too.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Unfortunately next year's AAC East might have the best group of QB's in all of college football.:

UCF - Milton
Temple - Russo, looks like a top 10 NFL pick
East Carolina - Ahlers true frosh who is going to be a stud
USF- Barnett - up and down year but a talent
Cincy- Ridder impressive looking frosh QB

UCONN might as well play Krajewski and let him learn on the job next year because the schedule will be brutal. We might even go with two QB's next year as Washington offers some running ability. Maybe Krajewski and Washington share the job to start the season. We're playing for 2020.

Russo is tied for the 3rd-most INTs in all of FBS. Pump the brakes a little bit.

Reaction Score
I haven’t heard a peep about how Krajewski looks in practice, which worries me a little, although it can take time to get used to the step up in level. And I have been underwhelmed in the little I see in Washington.

We need to find a qb who can manage a game. We don’t need a gunslinger. We need a guy who can complete a ten yard out with consistency, who can hit running backs in
stride in wheel routes, and who can get the balls to receivers where they can make plays. We have skill position talent.

The coaching staff should always be looking to bring on talent at qb, and I hope they are looking at possible grad transfers and JUCO players. Make this a competition, may the best man win.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Tyler Davis? No, wait....Donovan Williams? No?!? Okay maybe Jay Rose? Nope. We’ll be set with pass catchers who have experience as high school QBs so we should be all set

Reaction Score
The other side of the QB debate is if we won't play Pindell - clearly the best and most talented player on our entire roster - then why would any JUCOs come here next year?
Pindell has played every game this season and 14 games total. No one is saying DON’T PLAY HIM, let him play at RB, WR, slot or anywhere else he could help the team. You need to build your team around the quarterback. The other QB’s need to gain experience for next season. If Randy keeps screwing around with the QB position he won’t get anybody to come here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Tyler Davis? No, wait....Donovan Williams? No?!? Okay maybe Jay Rose? Nope. We’ll be set with pass catchers who have experience as high school QBs so we should be all set
You forgot Skanes and Eddie Hahn who also played QB in high school. I haven't dug deeper, but its probably the case every LB we have played QB first. :rolleyes:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pindell has played every game this season and 14 games total. No one is saying DON’T PLAY HIM, let him play at RB, WR, slot or anywhere else he could help the team. You need to build your team around the quarterback. The other QB’s need to gain experience for next season. If Randy keeps screwing around with the QB position he won’t get anybody to come here.

How many practice reps has PIndell taken at RB, WR, or anywhere else?

You do realize that your plan to "not screw around with the QB position" is to screw around with the QB position by taking our best QB - by far - out of the QB position, right? I think the best QB behind Pindell is running scout team to focus on academics right now. Every other QB on the roster is not ready yet, much like the majority of our 2-deep roster. Keep as many players healthy heading into offseason S&C. That's the goal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I dont know what to think, but I do think Pindell as a JUCO deserves to start the last two games this season. And if we are getting blown out and play dead after our first two possessions in the second half, then sure bring in the next guy. But Pindell should start. I want any decent JUCO / grad transfer prospects to see that good play on the field is respected and not casually tossed aside. Frankly, there is no other transfer into this program that warrants the same respect.

Reaction Score

Trying to convert a guy to RB or WR with 2 games left in his college career is not a smart move. If doing right by Pindell is a consideration for them, that is not doing right by Pindell.

If Krajewski gives them reason to think he's ready to be successful based on how he's practiced, than he should play in garbage time. If not though, they shouldn't rush him out there, and that doesn't mean he's not going to amount to a good qb for us. At this point the most important thing for his development is that he's healthy going into the offseason.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's another angle on the QB situation. If he plays one of the three prospects on the bench, does that cause one of the others that is teetering on the program to bail? Maybe he doesn't want anyone thinking they are ahead or behind on the QB race for 2019 until the spring program gets started when things will naturally have to sort themselves in an organized process.

Yeah, what I just said might be a pile of garbage, just spit balling here.

Reaction Score
Here's another angle on the QB situation. If he plays one of the three prospects on the bench, does that cause one of the others that is teetering on the program to bail? Maybe he doesn't want anyone thinking they are ahead or behind on the QB race for 2019 until the spring program gets started when things will naturally have to sort themselves in an organized process.

Yeah, what I just said might be a pile of garbage, just spit balling here.
I can see where that could be a possibility but I think Edsall needs to make a decision one way or another. To quote one of my favorite movies, “Attitude reflects leadership.” And from what I’ve seen there is very little leadership at the top.

Reaction Score
There were at least 3 plays run from funky split formations where the QB, center, tackle and back lined up 20 yards away from the rest of the O. Each time it worked in giving Pindell a little more space. I wouldn't be surprised if they put something in to get another QB on the field out of that formation. Krajeski could get a little time on the field without having to master anything more than a couple of plays. It would give him a taste, let him do what he does best, (throw the ball) , build on to what they did this week and provide a little trickery.

Reaction Score
Hahn needs to play, can tackle and seems to have a nose for that ball

Reaction Score
I haven’t heard a peep about how Krajewski looks in practice, which worries me a little, although it can take time to get used to the step up in level.

He’s the quick convo before Saturday’s game by Bob Joyce w/ OC John Dunn about Steve Krajewski and what they see. (Steven Krajewski discussion begins @ 3:09ish). (@UConnDan97)

Mirrors what Edsall said a few weeks ago.

Listen to the Husky Bytes Episode - John Dunn - Pregame SMU on iHeartRadio

I get the sentiment from an anxious fan base about seeing what the future may look like but if the staff doesn’t think he’s ready and it may actually impede his progress - I can wait. I watched a few his games streaming last year and he’s got all the tools physically. I think he can be the arm/leader of the future.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think it will be Krajewski at the quarterback position next year and for the next four years to come. He has what you're looking for in a quarterback. I still remember his leading his team to a lead in the state championship game and his composure during that time. Also doesn't hurt that experts in the state thought he was the third best with the other two being one and two in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom