QB Anderson Proves He Belongs (Des) | The Boneyard

QB Anderson Proves He Belongs (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
QB controversy makes for great articles. It's just a new feeling for me, with Shirreffs solid at #1 to have the QB battle be for the back-up spot!

I'm glad there's competition. I wouldn't be surprised if both Anderson and Boyle see some game action this year, and the fact that they are pushing each other now makes me feel more optimistic about it. This reminds me of when we had Lorenzen, Frazier, and Endres all on the roster. None of them ever ended up being great, but they were all very serviceable QBs for Uconn at one point or another. That being said, I'm glad that we have a #1 named ahead of the season..

This time of year is great, when there's all sorts of new information about the team coming out and plenty of optimism. ONE WEEK UNTIL 1-0!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Battling for the backup spot with a kid who carries a 1/11 TD/INT ratio is akin to wrestling with a pig. Yeah you'll probably win, but so what.

I'm going out on a limb that 80% of this article is dramatic license.

Reaction Score
I hope that Anderson plays and Boyle Redshirts. The kid, Boyle, deserves it. He really got thrown into a bad situation.

Casey had that extra year to observe and began his career very slowly. The suddenly he is on fire. Could happen to Boyle. Extra year to build confidence.

Reaction Score
People still holding on to Boyle being good is ridiculous. The kid has the physical tools, but has shown zero (even in spring games) that he can handle it. He's a great kid, but the future is in Davis not Boyle.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
My thinking on red shirts has evolved. In a perfect world without injuries, transfers, suspensions...it would be great if every kid had 5 years in the program. But UConn is in a tough place...they need to perform well now..and they don't have the depth to let players watch for a year.

I have to trust that the coaches will play the players that put them in the best position to win. If that means that Boyle is the second best QB and if Shirrefs gets injured, then you play Boyle and don't hesitate so you can protect a year of eligibility.

Red shirting is a nice to have...and they can't make decisions based on who may be here 4 years from now. They have to play the best players now...without regard to protecting red shirts. If UConn was safely in a conference...and this was year one of BD...maybe they could think more long term. I don't think they can think long term right now...unfortunately.

C

Chief00

My thought is if it's true there was only 1 offensive TD in the last intra squad game - there is no controversy just mediocre choices. Time will tell - but the OL sets a low ceiling unless they show some real improvement and thus far - I don't see evidence of that.

Reaction Score
Does Anderson have 3 years that he can be on the field or 2?

If 2, I'd play him and burn the red-shirt.

If 3, I'd red-shirt Anderson, have Boyle be the backup to Shirreffs and keep my fingers crossed that Shirreffs doesn't go down with an injury.

Reaction Score
Boyle is not red shirting. It makes no sense to do it. You don't redshirt a guy to be a back up at this point in his career. If Shirreffs is at least serviceable he goes into 2016 as the favorite backed up by Davis Anderson and the two frosh we've signed in addition to Boyle. Then in 2017 the depth gets even deeper. There is just no reason to bring back a rs senior to be the holder/3rd string quarterback. Great kid. Not a D1 quarterback.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
My thought is if it's true there was only 1 offensive TD in the last intra squad game - there is no controversy just mediocre choices. Time will tell - but the OL sets a low ceiling unless they show some real improvement and thus far - I don't see evidence of that.

It's those early 11:11 starts that makes it tough for the offense to get going.

Reaction Score
Boyle is not red shirting. It makes no sense to do it. You don't redshirt a guy to be a back up at this point in his career. If Shirreffs is at least serviceable he goes into 2016 as the favorite backed up by Davis Anderson and the two frosh we've signed in addition to Boyle. Then in 2017 the depth gets even deeper. There is just no reason to bring back a rs senior to be the holder/3rd string quarterback. Great kid. Not a D1 quarterback.

I get what you're saying. But one of the two (Anderson and Boyle) should redshirt. I don't see any positive to having both backup QBs burn a red-shirt year doing mop-up duty behind Sheriffs. I agree though that Boyle should not be the one who red-shirts.

Reaction Score
Didn't I read that Boyle was replacing Feagles as the place kick holder. That doesn't sound like red shirt year to me.

Reaction Score
Thankfully the staff looks more at what a kid is doing versus what he has done. You guys would forever banish a QB who, in his first 2 years,

was a backup quarterback , was not in the top 4 in terms of the depth chart and hired a sports psychologist to help him cope with frustration and anxiety - even considered transferring - meeting weekly to build his confidence

Also, as to redshirts, I say play the best guys now, not 3, 4, or 5 years from now. Every program plays true freshmen. And, you are not limited to redshirting in your first year. At the QB position, we need 3 guys to be ready and Davis is not one of them. We can decide in December who gets a redshirt for 15.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
We can decide in December who gets a redshirt for 15.
Agree that this is the ideal situation, but that's from the perspective of the coaching staff and the team. However, TB's perspective may be different. He was a highly recruited kid who most likely still wants to start or at least get significant playing time and exposure. Given the current QB pecking order, Davis and new recruits coming on board, and the fact the O seems to be geared towards a dual threat QB, TB may decided now is the time to transfer out to a program where he gets the playing time and exposure he wants. Or, maybe he is content with being in a back up role for potentially his last 2 yrs of eligibility. Obviously, only TB can answer that, but the point is that his perspective may be different from the coaches in terms of him being slotted as 1 of 2-3 back-ups in 2015-2016.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Agree that this is the ideal situation, but that's from the perspective of the coaching staff and the team. However, TB's perspective may be different. He was a highly recruited kid who most likely still wants to start or at least get significant playing time and exposure. Given the current QB pecking order, Davis and new recruits coming on board, and the fact the O seems to be geared towards a dual threat QB, TB may decided now is the time to transfer out to a program where he gets the playing time and exposure he wants. Or, maybe he is content with being in a back up role for potentially his last 2 yrs of eligibility. Obviously, only TB can answer that, but the point is that his perspective may be different from the coaches in terms of him being slotted as 1 of 2-3 back-ups in 2015-2016.
This is the second thread you are talking about TB transferring. Why not just let it play out? There is always need for multiple QBs. If anyone should know, it's our fanbase. It feels like speculation at this point on this topic is inappropriate.

Reaction Score
This is the sort of thread that drives me nuts. After years of having no depth at QB, we are now suggesting the back up transfer because we have a starter who hasn't played in 2 years and never here, a juco who didn't start, a freshman we've never seen in game action, 2 walkons and a kid who has "committed" to us in HS. One could survey that landscape and readily conclude they'll see action this year.

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
This is the sort of thread that drives me nuts. After years of having no depth at QB, we are now suggesting the back up transfer because we have a starter who hasn't played in 2 years and never here, a juco who didn't start, a freshman we've never seen in game action, 2 walkons and a kid who has "committed" to us in HS. One could survey that landscape and readily conclude they'll see action this year.

We saw others leave only to have us end up with Whitmer behind center.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
This is the second thread you are talking about TB transferring. Why not just let it play out? There is always need for multiple QBs. If anyone should know, it's our fanbase. It feels like speculation at this point on this topic is inappropriate.
Shaky: I agree with you. The team and the program need multiple QBs going forward.

FWIW, my rationale for posting my same opinions in both threads was that both threads were on the same (QB) topic, and no one else was looking at things from a QB perspective.

I thought that perspective would be an interesting topic for discussion on the BY. I guess my speculation that one of our QBs might possibility consider leaving the program was too unnerving given the team's recent performance and unknown future prospects. Personally, I like what I hear and see from TB (and all of our QBs for that matter) in terms of their character, teamwork, ambitions, etc.

Anyway, sorry for the duplicate posts to those who notice such things. Personally I think posts are good as long as what's posted isn't promoting a personal agenda or unfairly disparaging the players or the program. Peace, and Go Huskies!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
QB controversy makes for great articles. It's just a new feeling for me, with Shirreffs solid at #1 to have the QB battle be for the back-up spot!

I'm glad there's competition. I wouldn't be surprised if both Anderson and Boyle see some game action this year, and the fact that they are pushing each other now makes me feel more optimistic about it. This reminds me of when we had Lorenzen, Frazier, and Endres all on the roster. None of them ever ended up being great, but they were all very serviceable QBs for Uconn at one point or another. That being said, I'm glad that we have a #1 named ahead of the season..

This time of year is great, when there's all sorts of new information about the team coming out and plenty of optimism. ONE WEEK UNTIL 1-0!
All I'm looking for is "servicable"! I think we'd all give anything for a Tyler Lorenzen or Zach Frazier again at this point. I know I would.

Reaction Score
I think it's becoming clearer by the day that Shirreffs is the #1. The hope is that he plays the entire year. I think it is at least possible for a few reasons. First lots of quarterbacks play a full season. Our situation over the last 4 years was more driven by coaching decisions than injury. Even the guy we lost to injury was more a long term issue that a specific game. Second Running qbs I think are not as susceptible to injury as drop back guys. Even if they get hit more they are prepared to take hits, and know how to get hit. They also are better at avoiding hits. They brought in Anderson. Davis will watch and learn and they'll have the same cast next year except Davis enters the competition instead of watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom