Q&A with Bob Bowlsby: Big 12 commissioner reviews year, looks to future... | The Boneyard

Q&A with Bob Bowlsby: Big 12 commissioner reviews year, looks to future...

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
TLDR:

G-M: Do you see the league revisiting expansion any time soon?

BOWLSBY: We have to be constantly vigilant of the landscape, but I wouldn’t call consideration of expansion a priority at this point.

G-M: Can you could pinpoint one reason why the league didn’t expand? Was there pressure from your network partners not to do so?

BOWLSBY: There’s not a short answer to that. We went through a long process of analyzing a lot of data. Essentially, when it came down to it, there wasn’t an institution or group of institutions that had the requisite votes to be elected to membership. It requires a super majority of eight out of 10. Although there weren’t any votes taken, it was apparent there wasn’t an institution that had the requisite votes. For each of our 10 members it was an individual decision. They probably came to those in different ways.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
When the Big 12 breaks up, most of those schools not named TX or OK that didn't want to expand will face a grim reality.

My guess is they already knew that grim reality and choose the extra cash that the networks gave not to expand . . . er have a championship game. Each school got more money to upgrade facilities while they still have money (or save for when the Big12 implodes) without ticking off those that didn't want to expand . . . er sign a GoR extension.

The Big12 will still be around, but it will be without Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas. If another school is lucky, they may get a a golden chute and go with the others to their new home. They all know this and hopefully are planning for it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When the Big 12 breaks up, most of those schools not named TX or OK that didn't want to expand will face a grim reality.
D0A18ED0-4D3E-42B7-A66E-D5621EDB086C.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom