Purvis | The Boneyard

Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love the way this kid is playing this year. Alot more poised. Of the 13 games we have played this year, Purvis has shot over 50 percent from the field in 10 of them. That is an awesome percentage to get from a shooting guard who takes around 10 shots a game. The problem I have is, why don't we call more plays for Purvis. This kid should get at least 15 shots per game. In yesterday's game, I felt like we barely ran any plays for him during tulane's 17-0 run.

Reaction Score
My only criticism of him and I hate to nitpick is can he stop walking with the ball?

Reaction Score
He's hitting runners. Made a smooth euro step move then banked the shot off the glass. He's got a lot to learn, but he's clearly working on his ball handling ability. He knows his weekness and he's working hard on them....love it.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He's done a fantastic job in the first half of the year...
He's reduced his turnovers, developed a more all-around game (better defender, better passer, better handle), and been very efficient offensively!
The form on his jump shot is TEXTBOOK... he's shooting a great percentage from 3 and has deep range.
He's got a really good floater in the lane as well, think he needs to utilize that a bit more.
Only thing to nitpick in his game has been his poor FT shooting which has been beaten to death... his jump shot form is too good for him not to improve at the line, it's a mental thing.

Overall, could not be more pleased with his play. Keep it up HotRod!

Reaction Score
Rodney has to be our best on ball defender, too strong, quick & smart for 95% of offensive guards in the country. He should be guarding the opposing teams best guard every game.

Virtually unstoppable in the open court.

Unbelievable 3 point shooting and finesse in the lane.

He was making one too many bonehead out-of-control drives to the basket early on in the season but has limited and cleaned that up the past 5 or so games.

The only real thing he needs to work on moving into the NBA, minus of course his FT%, is his pull up mid range jumper. Rarely see this from him, it's either a pull up three or a full-steam-ahead drive to the rim. Know he's capable but will take time to develop. Kemba developed this masterfully over his Uconn career.

Reaction Score
Rodney has to be our best on ball defender, too strong, quick & smart for 95% of offensive guards in the country. He should be guarding the opposing teams best guard every game.

He was making one too many bonehead out-of-control drives to the basket early on in the season but has limited and cleaned that up the past 5 or so games.

The only real thing he needs to work on moving into the NBA, minus of course his FT%, is his pull up mid range jumper. Rarely see this from him, it's either a pull up three or a full-steam-ahead drive to the rim. Know he's capable but will take time to develop. Kemba developed this masterfully over his Uconn career.
He's been getting a little better at this lately, but he has had a lot of trouble finishing through contact, too

Reaction Score

What team are you hoping Rodney ends up with in the league? Do you have a fav landing spot for him? :)

Reaction Score
He's been great for us, if I'm not mistaked he's scored in double figures every game. Plays the best on ball defense on the team and has become a better rebounder and passer as well. One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned that kind of irks me is how he is too selfish on the break. Obviously he has a scorers mentality but when it's 3v1 he needs to lay the ball off more

Reaction Score
He's been great for us, if I'm not mistaked he's scored in double figures every game. Plays the best on ball defense on the team and has become a better rebounder and passer as well. One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned that kind of irks me is how he is too selfish on the break. Obviously he has a scorers mentality but when it's 3v1 he needs to lay the ball off more

What kinda irks me is a guy laying up weak sauce with his right hand on the left side of the hoop and then getting it thrown back in his face more or less. In defense of Rodney that never happens. Other stuff happens regularly but not that. So I prefer he goes strong and finishes 90 % of the time.

Reaction Score
What kinda irks me is a guy laying up weak sauce with his right hand on the left side of the hoop and then getting it thrown back in his face more or less. In defense of Rodney that rarely happens. Other stuff happens regularly but not that. So I prefer he goes strong and finishes 90 % of the time.
Well I'm saying like yesterday i think he had a 3v1 or maybe even a 4v1 and he took it himself and he either missed or turned it over I think. I noticed this alot last year and some this year that it seems like he kind of has tunnel vision on fastbreaks.

Reaction Score
What team are you hoping Rodney ends up with in the league? Do you have a fav landing spot for him? :)

He'd probably fit best with a run and gun team.

Chicago's new up tempo offense under Hoiberg could be a good fit.

If he landed on Golden State/Washington/OKC I think that would be a good fit as well.

A biased choice for me would be Boston but I don't think that's the best fit for him. He's got the defensive intensity and quickness/athleticism for a run and gun.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What kinda irks me is a guy laying up weak sauce with his right hand on the left side of the hoop and then getting it thrown back in his face more or less. In defense of Rodney that never happens. Other stuff happens regularly but not that. So I prefer he goes strong and finishes 90 % of the time.

Jalen does this at times. But he's a frosh.

Reaction Score
He'd probably fit best with a run and gun team.

Chicago's new up tempo offense under Hoiberg could be a good fit.

If he landed on Golden State/Washington/OKC I think that would be a good fit as well.

A biased choice for me would be Boston but I don't think that's the best fit for him. He's got the defensive intensity and quickness/athleticism for a run and gun.

You have to dream big. Nothing wrong with that. Great kid. Wish him well.

Reaction Score
Well I'm saying like yesterday i think he had a 3v1 or maybe even a 4v1 and he took it himself and he either missed or turned it over I think. I noticed this alot last year and some this year that it seems like he kind of has tunnel vision on fastbreaks.

Last year Rodney had 60 TO's/40 Assists for the season (horrific to say the least). This year through 13 games he has 22 TO's/32 Assists (solid improvement considering...).

Reaction Score
Purvis is becoming the go to guy we thought we would be getting in the first place. I still really think this team has a chance for a tournament run. If Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller all play to their potential, very few teams will be able to compete with us.

Reaction Score
He's scored in double digits in each of his last 19 games. In that run:

16.4 ppg; 50.5% fg/44.1% 3fg/55.5% ft
2.9 rpg
2.1 apg
2.0 to/g

He's also seemed to be our lead recruiter on social media, so I think we can add a few assists to the pile. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's scored in double digits in each of his last 19 games. In that run:

16.4 ppg; 50.5% fg/44.1% 3fg/55.5% ft
2.9 rpg
2.1 apg
2.0 to/g

He's also seemed to be our lead recruiter on social media, so I think we can add a few assists to the pile. ;)

I was going to say that this run for him started the second half of last year.

Reaction Score
Purvis is slowly emerging as our team leader. I see him rally the team during huddles, congratulate teammates after good plays, encourage them after mistakes. We have a lot of great cheerleaders (ain't nothing wrong with that) but leadership was our missing link this season. I think by the end of this month that concern will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom