Purvis | The Boneyard

Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watch this kid and i dont understand how this kid doesnt dominate every single game he is in. Physically there arent many guards who can match up with him. He is quick as a rabbit and has a nice stroke from 3. He has poor handle and for some unexplainable reason he has trouble with putting the ball in near the basket. This kid should be putting up 20 a night without breaking a sweat. Real frustrating seeing such immense physical talent being held back by poor fundamentals and low bball iq. Love the kid but its just mind boggling to watch him flounder around and then go through stretches where he looks like a lottery pick. Ok rant over.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Because he goes into the lane with absolutely no plan and the ball just flies into the air? Because he has the worst free throw stroke of a two guard I've ever seen? Because he will dribble to a corner, turn it, drive the entire baseline spin and take a fadeaway 17-foot two-pointer?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Because he goes into the lane with absolutely no plan and the ball just flies into the air? Because he has the worst free throw stroke of a two guard I've ever seen? Because he will dribble to a corner, turn it, drive the entire baseline spin and take a fadeaway 17-foot two-pointer?
That shot needs to be saved and shown a hundred times in film review sessions... It was the most textbook example of poor shot selection possible.

1) He never even considered passing the ball at any moment,

2) He was teetering on being completely out of control the whole time,

3) He dribbled the ball a good 5 seconds in traffic,

4) He ran to a low percentage area (right corner baseline), and

5) He took a fadeaway jump shot falling out of bounds with his foot on the three point line, so even if he made it, just two points.

I dare you to top that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are players open when he drives but he takes shots under pressure instead of passing. This would be ok if he converted more but he doesn't.

Reaction Score
Doesn't play smart. Lets us see the talent when games are for the most part out of reach. Killed momentum at least twice with poor shot selection. Terrible ft shooter which is probably a mental thing.

Reaction Score
Doesn't play smart. Lets us see the talent when games are for the most part out of reach. Killed momentum at least twice with poor shot selection. Terrible ft shooter which is probably a mental thing.

Purvis's problem at the FT line is that he overadjusts. If the first one is long, the second one will be short.

While I agree with the criticisms above, the one I don't agree with was that he killed momentum.

He did stop 2 UConn runs but he took wide open shots. One was an 18 foot wide open jumper that he usually hits. The other was a corner 3 after he had hit 2 straight 3s. He was open.

I'm sorry, I want Purvis taking both of those shots. Wide open. It's too bad they killed momentum. But that's basketball.

Reaction Score
Purvis's problem at the FT line is that he overadjusts. If the first one is long, the second one will be short.

While I agree with the criticisms above, the one I don't agree with was that he killed momentum.

He did stop 2 UConn runs but he took wide open shots. One was an 18 foot wide open jumper that he usually hits. The other was a corner 3 after he had hit 2 straight 3s. He was open.

I'm sorry, I want Purvis taking both of those shots. Wide open. It's too bad they killed momentum. But that's basketball.

What about the one in the baseline he took without anyone else touching the ball

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Purvis let Maryland go up 5 early with sloppy play. Two years in a row we come out flat every game.

I'd like to see Adams start at the point and Gibbs playing off of the ball to start games. Bring Purvis off the bench.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Everyone else above has nailed the 2 key things I see with Purvis every game...no basketball IQ whatsoever and no plan when he has the ball. You can't just go head down 1 on 4 from the top of the key expecting to draw a foul. And even when he does draw a foul, he can't make the FTs anyhow! Purvis is the most Jekyll and Hyde player I've ever watched...you know right away if you get good Purvis on a given night or crap Purvis and we're not gonna win a lot of game when crap Purvis shows up like he did last night (save the last 5 minutes of the game).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hey at least he doesn't step out of bounds like he did damn near every game last season.

Good physical skills, decent 3 point shot, but low basketball IQ player.

Reaction Score
We know what the issues are but the question is, can they be fixed?

Reaction Score
What about the one in the baseline he took without anyone else touching the ball

That was bad. That's why I said I agreed. but it didn't kill momentum. It helped momentum. That happened during the slide to -20.

Reaction Score
That was bad. That's why I said I agreed. but it didn't kill momentum. It helped momentum. That happened during the slide to -20.
I'm with you upstater. But I just don't like his game.

Reaction Score
Purvis can still improve his game. He needs to start doing these things ASAP.

1. Be more decisive. If you are gonna Drive then DRIVE. don't hesitate.
2. Stop changing your free throw stroke after every shot. The reason Ray allen and Reggie Miller were great shooters was because they had a consistent stroke that they could replicate under stressful times.
3. Focus on finishing at the Rim when driving, instead of avoiding contact.
4. Against better competition, in particular better big man.....don't try to drive all the way to the hoop...your arms are too short to finish effectively......incorporate a mid range jumper into your game.
5. Just don't stand around the 3 point line waving your hand everytime another teammate drives.......Anticipate an offensive rebound, maybe get a couple tip ins per game....or move into the lane.....make the defense work......

Reaction Score
Perfect summary of his offense game

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Purvis let Maryland go up 5 early with sloppy play. Two years in a row we come out flat every game.

I'd like to see Adams start at the point and Gibbs playing off of the ball to start games. Bring Purvis off the bench.

Purvis let Maryland go up 5 early? Come on, the entire team looked like crap. Frankly, they need to start scrimmaging for 15 minutes in warmups, so maybe they come out of the gates going at at least a brisk trot. Instead of standing there.

Reaction Score
His biggest problem is that he overthinks too much when he has the ball. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he first transferred here, but the fact that he's still doing it is alarming.

He seems so unsure of himself the second he gets the ball. Doesn't know if he should dribble, pass, shoot. Looks like a deer in headlights.

The reason he plays well at the end of games is bc he has no time to think and just reacts.

He has all the tools to be a good player though. I don't want to be pessimistic but we've been saying "he'll figure it out" for quite some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom