Purvis finally.... | The Boneyard

Purvis finally....

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
.... Embracing his inner sportscar. I notice he shaved a racing stripe in his head.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is going on on Facey's head? In the chat I speculated it was a Spirograph design.

Reaction Score
He's playing well but his ft shooting is horrendous, it's a shame because he's so good at drawing them. I hate his ft preparation, he tosses the ball to his side spinning it before gathering and shooting it, way too much movement.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
He's playing well but his ft shooting is horrendous, it's a shame because he's so good at drawing them. I hate his ft preparation, he tosses the ball to his side spinning it before gathering and shooting it, way too much movement.

He struggles at finishing through contact too. Had what should have been an "and one" but missed the rim entirely. He has a way of turning what looks like 3 points into 0 or 1.

Reaction Score
This is a typical Purvis "looking good game".

17 points in 27 minutes, 2 steals, and a block. Looks good.

But 1 of 5 from 3, only 1 rebound, and zero assists. Immediately after he hit his 3, he took a low basketball IQ gamble on a steal and gave up an uncontested 3 - which went in.

I know a lot of you think this is jumping the gun and/or too harsh, but I just don't think the kid plays in the Kemba/Donny/Freeman/Sellers mode that leads to great team play and winning.

BTW - Nod to @Fishy re:Sam Cassell - he nailed it just about when we came out of the preseason/cupcake zone. Dude is a gunner, but not a good shooter. He can miss equally from all angles. Would prefer to see most of his PT disappear and have him only be spot backup as a 3rd string guard.

Reaction Score
Cheeky said:
This is a typical Purvis "looking good game". 17 points in 27 minutes, 2 steals, and a block. Looks good. But 1 of 5 from 3, only 1 rebound, and zero assists. Immediately after he hit his 3, he took a low basketball IQ gamble on a steal and gave up an uncontested 3 - which went in. I know a lot of you think this is jumping the gun and/or too harsh, but I just don't think the kid plays in the Kemba/Donny/Freeman/Sellers mode that leads to great team play and winning. BTW - Nod to @Fishy re:Sam Cassell - he nailed it just about when we came out of the preseason/cupcake zone. Dude is a gunner, but not a good shooter. He can miss equally from all angles. Would prefer to see most of his PT disappear and have him only be spot backup as a 3rd string guard.

I'll take today out of Purvis. We rebounded well as a team (DHam had 10, Facey 9, Brimah 6) and USF had almost no put backs - so it didn't matter if he didn't get rebounds, since teammates were getting them instead. And he's never going to be a great assist guy.

As I said above, I just wish he could come close to finishing through contact. After I posted that, he had a fast break against a big in the second half and took a little bump and ended with a 12-foot fadeaway off the side of the backboard. No chance for an and one at all. He has a strong frame - but it's like he becomes completely uncoordinated when he gets a little bit of body contact. Maybe it's his hands more than anything. He needs Kawhi hands.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="As I said above, I just wish he could come close to finishing through contact. [/QUOTE]
You mean become a Land Rover?

Reaction Score
Im happy that purvis is starting to come around and attack the rim like he should, but I think he needs to start impacting the game in other areas as well. 2 reb and 1 assist is really sad for a player of his talent level.

Reaction Score
Purvis is in there solely to score. Lord knows we have enough glue guys who can't put the ball in the hoop but are good for 2-3 assists and 4-5 rebounds.

If he's putting up 17 points on 9 shots it's hard to bitch about him.

I think he's there for on ball defense. Yeah he missed on his steal, but he defends hard.

It's really the story of Purvis v. Omar. I think Omar is having an excellent offensive season. But the first 3 USF baskets were on Omar today, and you see Ollie calling for Purvis immediately after the 3rd one.

Really, I think the optimal lineup is to have both Purvis and Omar on the floor together, with Omar taking the other teams least effective scoring option (at the 1 thru 3), with Hamilton, Facey and Brimah splitting the 80 minutes at the 4 and 5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel better about Purvis after today. He needs to just play with confidence even when he shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Im happy that purvis is starting to come around and attack the rim like he should, but I think he needs to start impacting the game in other areas as well. 2 reb and 1 assist is really sad for a player of his talent level.

After every offensive shot, Purvis leaks out. Is that by design? Or a problem? It very well may be that Ollie wants him to do that for his driving skills.

Reaction Score
After every offensive shot, Purvis leaks out. Is that by design? Or a problem? It very well may be that Ollie wants him to do that for his driving skills.

Thats a good question, but i still don't think that justifies such a poor number. 1 assist is alarming, I think we can all agree on that.

I really don't want to take away from the strides he's made this season. Me pointing out his poor assist and rebounding numbers is just the next thing Id like him to improve, now that he is more aggressive and attacking the basket.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
8 for 12 is great for him. Big improvement.

This. I thought it was a nice improvement even though a couple of misses were ugly over last game plus he actually got to the line attacking the basket his 12 attempts were more than the whole team some recent games.

Reaction Score
This is a typical Purvis "looking good game".

17 points in 27 minutes, 2 steals, and a block. Looks good.

But 1 of 5 from 3, only 1 rebound, and zero assists. Immediately after he hit his 3, he took a low basketball IQ gamble on a steal and gave up an uncontested 3 - which went in.

I know a lot of you think this is jumping the gun and/or too harsh, but I just don't think the kid plays in the Kemba/Donny/Freeman/Sellers mode that leads to great team play and winning.

BTW - Nod to @Fishy re:Sam Cassell - he nailed it just about when we came out of the preseason/cupcake zone. Dude is a gunner, but not a good shooter. He can miss equally from all angles. Would prefer to see most of his PT disappear and have him only be spot backup as a 3rd string guard.

low basketball IQ gamble on a steal? Really, he missed a break away dunk by about 2 inches as he made a nice break on the pass. 17 points and more positive than negative, yet you feel the need? And you need to find my replies and say "hate" so much. Funny:rolleyes:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
low basketball IQ gamble on a steal? Really, he missed a break away dunk by about 2 inches as he made a nice break on the pass. 17 points and more positive than negative, yet you feel the need? And you need to find my replies and say "hate" so much. Funny:rolleyes:
Sorry Mau he missed by 2 feet which is why it was a bad gamble, one he's made habitually. Purvis is give and take player right now, which was true of bazz as a sophomore. Purvis is a victim of the expectations set for him by KO's quotable and the fact that he looks physically like he's 28 despite only playing a season and a half of college basketball. It's justifiable, like its justifiable Hamilton frequently makes bad decisions but it doesn't make it untrue.

To be a good college basketball team you have to be focused for 40 min on both ends of the floor and at the line. To be a great team you have to do that and have superior talent, UConn has the latter this year but not the former. They've been victimized by poor fundamentals (bad fouls, free throw shooting, unforced turnovers) in addition to the injuries. That's why we can't reconcile the great things Rodney and Dham and Brimah and boat do with winning. For every spectacular block, or break out, or spin to oop finish there is a wtf turnover that leads to a layup on the other end or a deep 3 not in the flow of the offense or a heap of missed free throws.

That should be our biggest hope though, with just a bit more experience and a home court conf tourney...

Reaction Score
Sorry Mau he missed by 2 feet which is why it was a bad gamble, one he's made habitually. Purvis is give and take player right now, which was true of bazz as a sophomore. Purvis is a victim of the expectations set for him by KO's quotable and the fact that he looks physically like he's 28 despite only playing a season and a half of college basketball. It's justifiable, like its justifiable Hamilton frequently makes bad decisions but it doesn't make it untrue.

To be a good college basketball team you have to be focused for 40 min on both ends of the floor and at the line. To be a great team you have to do that and have superior talent, UConn has the latter this year but not the former. They've been victimized by poor fundamentals (bad fouls, free throw shooting, unforced turnovers) in addition to the injuries. That's why we can't reconcile the great things Rodney and Dham and Brimah and boat do with winning. For every spectacular block, or break out, or spin to oop finish there is a wtf turnover that leads to a layup on the other end or a deep 3 not in the flow of the offense or a heap of missed free throws.

That should be our biggest hope though, with just a bit more experience and a home court conf tourney...

Me too, I was there in 114 and it looked like 2 inches, maybe a foot but nonetheless an attempt which even Ollie was fine with as I looked his way. You are correct in most everything else in your reply but I will agree to disagree on the steal attempt, he had a shot it seemed.

Reaction Score

Last year's team averaged almost the same number of turnovers per game(11 vs 12). People forget that for as good as Bazz was, he was pretty turnover prone. He averaged 3 a game last year.

I don't know if I buy the fundamentals excuse. I think they just don't run good offense and don't have enough shot makers, and the defense isn't good enough to make up for it.

Almost every UConn team has had at least two guys that you know can score in double figures every game out, and this year's team really only has 1.

Combine that with some tough breaks and two really poor outings(Tulsa and Yale) and you get the record of 11-7.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Needs to improve from the charity stripe, but the three he hit was a big spot. Liked his agressive & controlled drives to the rack today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom