UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Let's make another thread on this...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let's make another thread on this...

want to rag on our leading scorer, best defender and most clutch player because he was 0-3 from the line, go ahead.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
want to rag on our leading scorer, best defender and most clutch player because he was 0-3 from the line, go ahead.

You're missing the point of my post. Purvis has been our most consistent guard overall, and I love him. But everyone and their dad knows he missed clutch free throws and needs to work on them more.

Reaction Score
You're missing the point of my post. Purvis has been our most consistent guard overall, and I love him. But everyone and their dad knows he missed clutch free throws and needs to work on them more.
Agreed. I'm one of Purvis' biggest supporters. I was rooting for him so hard to hit those FT late to completely silence the haters but oh well. Great game out of him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Get used to ball being in Gibbs' hands at the end of the game.

FT's and a good handle.

Gibbs and Adams on the court. Calhoun and Purvis will be offense/defense substitutions the last two minutes.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Sorry for the misinterpretation! I couldn't believe how some people were complaining about his FTs right after he scored 9 of our 12 points during crunch time. This was my attempt to show them some perspective.

Reaction Score
Why not highlight and celebrate Gibbs' clutch free throw shooting instead of busting Rodney's chops?

We need to remove the stench posters put on Gibbs and that's a good way to do it. Don't need to transfer it to Rodney either.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Free Throw % is the reason Purvis will stay at UConn for his senior season.

Reaction Score
I am bit surprised at everyone's reaction. This is an issue RP has to fix. Coach can't leave him on the floor at the end of games and we really need his scoring and defense at crunch time. KO was subbing him in/out, which was the first time I recall seeing this happen to him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am bit surprised at everyone's reaction. This is an issue RP has to fix. Coach can't leave him on the floor at the end of games and we really need his scoring and defense at crunch time. KO was subbing him in/out, which was the first time I recall seeing this happen to him.
It has definitely happened to him before, including a few times already this season. If it ain't fixed by now, I don't see it getting fixed. It is a limitation that he and we are going to have to deal with. He will be subbed in for defense and subbed out when we have possession. Simply cannot afford to have him on the floor offensively at crunch time because fouling him is always going to be a sound strategy for the other team. Shaka did it immediately even before they had to, because he knew it was at worst a 2 for 1 proposition. All teams will know that he is the one to foul.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's only an issue because no guard should be sporting a FT% that begins with a 5. For a guy who can score like RP it is bizarre. At 70%, you could say he just isn't a good FT shooter, but a 55% shooter is below Shaq level bad.

Reaction Score
Can someone do the stat pulling and find out what Pruvis's 3% percentage is in the last 3 minutes of games? I feel like its damn high. I dont usually trust him shooting the ball from 3, but in the last 3 minutes you know he is going to shoot it, especially if we are trying to come back and chances seem to be pretty high that the ball will go in.

Reaction Score
Hes a 46% three point shooter after 12 games which is remarkable. As it stands now I believe hes now a 50% free throw shooter. Just saying we can sub in Omar for offense and bring Purvis back in on D is just not ideal. He needs to shoot it better plain and simple, we need our top scorer and three point threat in the game in crunch time.

Reaction Score
Can someone do the stat pulling and find out what Pruvis's 3% percentage is in the last 3 minutes of games? I feel like its damn high. I dont usually trust him shooting the ball from 3, but in the last 3 minutes you know he is going to shoot it, especially if we are trying to come back and chances seem to be pretty high that the ball will go in.

Why not trust him shooting a 3s at other points of the game? He's 28 of 62 so far this season, for 45.2%

For those with 50+ attempts, he is #32 in the country at shooting 3s.

By the way, UConn already faced the best shooter in the country, Michigan's Duncan Robinson who has been ridiculous from 3. He's 47 of 79. Buddy Hield is 37 of 70.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is no reason why Purvis can't be in there at crunch time if we are behind because that is generally not a fouling situation for the other team, unless it's a situation where we are down two or three and he has the ball, in which case it would definitely be sound strategy to foul him. The situation where you absolutely do not want him on the floor offensively is when we are holding on to a narrow lead.

Reaction Score
Why not trust him shooting a 3s at other points of the game? He's 28 of 62 so far this season, for 45.2%

For those with 50+ attempts, he is #32 in the country at shooting 3s.

By the way, UConn already faced the best shooter in the country, Michigan's Duncan Robinson who has been ridiculous from 3. He's 47 of 79. Buddy Hield is 37 of 70.

My point is it seems that he hits a much higher percentage of his 3s late in the game. However I don't have stats to back that theory up, so I could be wrong. That's why I'd like to see his percentage from 3 point land in the last 3 to 5 minutes of games vs the rest of the game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My point is it seems that he hits a much higher percentage of his 3s late in the game. However I don't have stats to back that theory up, so I could be wrong. That's why I'd like to see his percentage from 3 point land in the last 3 to 5 minutes of games vs the rest of the game.

Espn has game logs that tracks shot attempts and makes. I don't care enough to go through the exercise but you'd probably be able to figure it out using them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You can go to the UConn Huskies website and go through each game possession by possession and get your numbers.

Here's the link to last night's game.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/ut12.html

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When people say "He just has to get better". I wonder..or what?
Do you think he doesn't try? Think the staff hasn't addressed it? Do you feel if you you firmly expressed your displeasure, he would straighten up and fly right?

You think he should be benched? Exiled? It's weird, but it is reality. I'll gladly take him with this flaw. Sit him at the end of a tight game if he is missing that day,

Reaction Score
8893 said:
Hack-a-Shaq = Pop-a-Rod? Wait, what?

I was thinking Smack-A-Purv, but yours keeps better consistency with the first syllable of the first name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom