Purdue's Post Mortem | The Boneyard

Purdue's Post Mortem

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is nothing good to say.

Purdue's last string of players were better than UConn's starters.

A total mismatch at every level.

All the disarray this week amazingly did not transfer in to positive change on the field.

Krajewski is better than Jack Zergiotis. Has a feel for the game. Unfortunately he has the same line blocking for him the Jack Zergiotis had. The line is really bad. Fortin may be the only lineman who could start for another FBS team. UConn's staff felt leaving a RS Frosh LT solo against a first team AA was good game planning.

UConn's OLine is bad. The DLine is worse. Fortunately for opponents UConn's LB's are worse than the DLine. Fortunately for opponents once you get forward momentum through the line and LB's, the DB's take horrible angles and put little effort in to tackling.

UConn's offensive coaching staff must game plan over boneless ribs at 99 Restaurant when they come up with running plays 75% of the time on third and more than 2.

Take the trip to West Point. Yes, UConn will be bewildered by a team running every play. Army will physically hurt UConn next week. But, go to the game and take in the game day environment.

Three weeks in a row UConn was competitive for the first quarter and completely folded in the second qtr. If I were the coaches I'd burn all three TO's the first three defensive plays of the second qtr. Just do something.

There is no reason to watch or follow this team.

Reaction Score
On the positive front Krajewski does have some talent and two more years of eligibility after this season. Maybe he can develop into a QB that helps pull us out of this mess.

I like that we tried some read option and misdirection on offense. I think we would have beaten Holy Cross if we did these things last week and started Krajewski.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On the positive front Krajewski does have some talent and two more years of eligibility after this season. Maybe he can develop into a QB that helps pull us out of this mess.

I like that we tried some read option and misdirection on offense. I think we would have beaten Holy Cross if we did these things last week and started Krajewski.

Since there is no possibility of us being proven wrong, put me in the "we would have beat HC if Steven Krajewski was QB for that game" group.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ultimately insignificant, but I'm still pissed about it.

Ultimately insignificant but significant at the time. We all know Randy would punt with a 4th and short as his own 36 with score close. Punt and put them tight on their own end zone is his philosophy. Spanos was at least being somewhat aggressive. What pissed me off was the play call. If you know you are going to kick an FG on fourth and short, you better make your 3rd down play be worth every inch. And they screwed the pooch on it. Players know that and feel that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn's OLine is bad. The DLine is worse. Fortunately for opponents UConn's LB's are worse than the DLine. Fortunately for opponents once you get forward momentum through the line and LB's, the DB's take horrible angles and put little effort in to tackling.
100% this.

I swear to you, I literally feel bad for Travis Jones every time he touches the field. He catches a double team (and even sometimes a triple team) because the opponent is literally scared of nothing else. Not another lineman. Not a blitzing linebacker. Not a lock down corner. No worries whatsoever.

Poor Travis...

Reaction Score
The secondary plays scared. They're playing a soft-zone that would be fine if they'd break on the ball and try to make a hit, but they don't seem to want to make a tackle and don't come up until the ball is already in the receivers hands. Once Purdue realized they could just go to their three-step game and pick-off 3-7 yards a pass it was over. (It's really easy to go 30-36 passing when the opposition gives you the short completion each time) When the team would get pressure the secondary would completely forget about the safety valve receiver bleeding out the back-side of the play.

There were a number of plays where the guys on the outside essentially "let" themselves get blocked and kind of packed it in rather than fighting through the block and close down the edge while keeping contain. The defense was simply atrocious.

The offensive line still isn't good. Giufre should give up the OC and the game-planning responsibilities to focus on that position group, because until they improve it doesn't matter who is under center. That said I thought Krajewski handled the position better... his arm certainly isn't the world's strongest (there was one ball seriously underthrown that should've been picked) and there were a number of balls on swing passes that could've been put in a better spot. Still he didn't make any killing mistakes and got away with the ones he did make (the under-throw, his fumble (got to tuck that away quicker with that much traffic around you)). Had Krajewski started and played like this.. UConn probably beats Holy Cross.

In general it didn't feel like a game where the team beat themselves, which was good; but definitely showed where talent (or player development) & schemes are both still short of what it'll take to getting back to being competitive against most opponents.

Reaction Score
The third and short inside handoff before they trotted out McFadden for the missed field goal almost made my head explode
Completely agree. What was spanos thinking? Build confidence and go for it.

Reaction Score
There is nothing good to say.

Purdue's last string of players were better than UConn's starters.

A total mismatch at every level.

All the disarray this week amazingly did not transfer in to positive change on the field.

Krajewski is better than Jack Zergiotis. Has a feel for the game. Unfortunately he has the same line blocking for him the Jack Zergiotis had. The line is really bad. Fortin may be the only lineman who could start for another FBS team. UConn's staff felt leaving a RS Frosh LT solo against a first team AA was good game planning.

UConn's offensive coaching staff must game plan over boneless ribs at 99 Restaurant when they come up with running plays 75% of the time on third and more than 2.

Take the trip to West Point. Yes, UConn will be bewildered by a team running every play. Army will physically hurt UConn next week. But, go to the game and take in the game day environment.

Three weeks in a row UConn was competitive for the first quarter and completely folded in the second qtr. If I were the coaches I'd burn all three TO's the first three defensive plays of the second qtr. Just do something.

There is no reason to watch or follow this team.
They're UConn, that's the reason.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
When a DB plays man to man, you have to at least make an effort to delay their pattern and not a free run as happened a lot today.

Reaction Score
They are who we thought they were.

Steven Krajewski is miles ahead of Jack Zergiotis though. The best thing that can happen is a potential new coach sees Steven Krajewski and feels like he has something to work with. A good QB takes you places.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
On the positive side Texas is getting blown out by Arkansas. I know it means nothing to most of you, but it makes me happy.

Reaction Score
On the positive side Texas is getting blown out by Arkansas. I know it means nothing to most of you, but it makes me happy.
And think that Ohio State fans are more upset than UConn fans

Reaction Score
Arkansas beating Texas will always be great

Reaction Score
They are who we thought they were.

Steven Krajewski is miles ahead of Jack Zergiotis though. The best thing that can happen is a potential new coach sees Steven Krajewski and feels like he has something to work with. A good QB takes you places.
What did you see today that could make a potential coach excited? 2 FBS games, 0 points.

Reaction Score
What did you see today that could make a potential coach excited? 2 FBS games, 0 points.
He has more talent than Jack Zergiotis. It's obvious to those paying attention

Reaction Score
And you can't even give them away. Thought about taking up golf on weekends? Maybe fishing?

Pfft. Let the well-to-do or too self-involved old farts go golfing or fishing on weekends.

I don't want to give my tickets away. Still enjoy going and like the gameday experience. Plus, as awful as this team is, they only play 6 home games a year. After Thanksgiving weekend they won't take the field again for 9 months. Too long of a layoff.

These are college kids, they're out there trying hard for the university. Least I can do is be there to support them and hopefully see some of them develop into solid players.

Yes, the last several years have been a complete horror show. Been painful to sit there for 3+ hours watching them get destroyed just about every game. But if there's a flicker of hope left for this program to turn things around, it won't help them any to see fewer people in the stands. There's already more than enough people in this state that don't care about UConn football because they're abysmal. I'm not one of them.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom