OT: - puppy-dog eyes | The Boneyard

OT: puppy-dog eyes

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's official: puppy-dog eyes evolved for people. Domesticated dogs have muscles in their faces specifically so that they can pull their eyelids further open and make their eyes look bigger. Wolves don't have these, so dogs acquired it since they were domesticated.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Cool; love the autoharp.
Has to be at least an 80 year old song that I heard for the first time about 25 years ago and never forgot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't see it

Reaction Score
Has to be at least an 80 year old song that I heard for the first time about 25 years ago and never forgot.
I remember a slightly different version. " somebody kicks my dog around. Don't care if-in he's a dirty hound you gotta quite kicken my dog around. Probably the singers own version.

Looked it up and it was first recorded in 1928 by the "skillet lickers". It was said to have been written somewhere around the 1880's and performed in the early minstrel shows.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's official: puppy-dog eyes evolved for people. Domesticated dogs have muscles in their faces specifically so that they can pull their eyelids further open and make their eyes look bigger. Wolves don't have these, so dogs acquired it since they were domesticated.

I read this article and it sounds darn fishy to me. I can see it now: A group of wolves are in the darkness just beyond the nomadic herdsmen's cooking fire. Wolf #1: I swear if you just go in there and open your eyes as wide as you can they'll give you something to eat! Wolf #2 went in and sure enough she got something.

From that night forward the pack spent an hour a day doing eye opening exercises AND a beautiful relationship was born!

As these scientists admit it is still a riddle and a guess complicated by, among other things, the fact that large groups of dogs skeletons diverge very clearly from wolves.

It's fun to read this conjecture based upon a few old bones, but it's as reliable as advice on the best diet.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's purely conjecture on my part, but I'm absolutely convinced the California ground squirrels at Yosemite National Park know how to look and act cute and play it for all it is worth. They are a bunch of professional beggars and business is probably good.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's purely conjecture on my part, but I'm absolutely convinced the California ground squirrels at Yosemite National Park know how to look and act cute and play it for all it is worth. They are a bunch of professional beggars and business is probably good.

I'm headed up to Acadia in a few days, and ditto the red squirrels there. We've never given in, but I suspect quite a few campers do.

Last time we were up there, we were eating lunch on a rocky beach and a sea gull swept down and took a bite out of the daughter's sandwich. And the damn thing followed us for half an hour after that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom