Punt Returns - 2 Yards all Season (prior to yesterday) | The Boneyard

Punt Returns - 2 Yards all Season (prior to yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

While I normally reserve my breakdowns to basketball, Stairmaster has put the challenge out there about football. So here it goes:
According to the TV announcers, which I confirmed on the website, we have netted a grand total of 2 yards all season on punt returns. So this is how the typical possession starts against a decent team:
- Punt return - 0 yards
- 1st Down - predictable run up middle for a yard
- Penalty i.e. - 12 men on field, delay of game, illegal procedure,
- 2nd down - 2nd and 14 - run by QB or draw play
- 3rd down - 3rd and 12 - expected result

All the great coaches talk about the 3 facets of the game - how can you even be in that conversation if you concede the punt return? Especially if you built your team on defense - which Diaco says he is doing. Teams that do that inherently also focus on special teams.

All I can conclude is Diaco feels the risk of a turnover or a block in the back is greater than the upside - makes you wonder how other teams do it?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Given your detailed analysis- how did we win any games if those are the plays we always ran? Sounds like we should have scored zero points this year based on what you wrote. Did your analysis also note that our primary kick returner has been injured all year or no? Quality special teams depends on having roster depth, which I'm sure you know has been a problem the staff has been trying to work on? You are a clown.

C

Chief00

Given your detailed analysis- how did we win any games if those are the plays we always ran? Sounds like we should have scored zero points this year based on what you wrote. Did your analysis also note that our primary kick returner has been injured all year or no? Quality special teams depends on having roster depth, which I'm sure you know has been a problem the staff has been trying to work on? You are a clown.
You need to read more carefully - I said this is how a typical possession goes against "decent teams". Obviously, exclude Nova, Central FL, Army etc.

Our defense turned the ball over quite often and that led to scores or FGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom