OT: Pumpkin Beer

-
Love HF 2x galaxy also. This and Abner are my two favs from HF. But u gotta stock up cuz they don’t have either all that frequently. I personally think Alchemist just 30+ minutes further is a better choice than HF. PRICE and selection far superior.
I don’t think you can go wrong in that neck of the woods with Lawson’s, Foam, Alchemist, HF around ...

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
Pumking is good but sweet. Roadsmary’s Baby is nice. My favorite is from Ballast Point. Has a Scotch ale as a base.

Drinking pumpkin beer is for casuals, I guess. But I’m not casual. I drank it at a wedding with a shot in it (not casual). I drink it when my wife buys it and I don’t have anything else because I drank everything else (not casual). I’ll have it on a holiday if someone else brings it because I’m probably drinking all day anyway and it is only one or two of the beers or cocktails on my agenda. So, what the hell. (not casual).

Don’t judge. Especially, you cider drinkers. (not judging)

Avery brewing out here in CO makes the only pumpkin beer I've not hated...

Pump[KY]n - bourbon barrel aged pumpkin Porter, and 15% to boot. I only get it at the brewery since they'll do 5oz pours, or possibly grab a single bottle to split with someone. They do a Rumpkin too, but I don't care for rum

i much prefer the Oktoberfest beers this time of year. Actually stumbled on a good one from startford no less...ok2berfest from two roads

There is no such thing as good pumpkin spice beer. Water, hops, barley, yeast. That’s it. Nothing else allowed.

Dove

Son of Wayne. Friend of Tony.
Boneyard,

Love everything about fall, except for pumpkin beer. Every year I try to find a gem, but mostly end up with a whole bunch of bottles in the back of the fridge.

Does a good pumpkin beer actually exist?

If so, help me find the diamond in the rough!
Thimble Island Brewing's Dark Pumpkin Porter and Elysian's Night Owl are our go-tos if we buy pumpkin brews..

Drink what you like man, don't listen to the haters.

I find that a lot of people that bash pumpkin beers have no problem drinking Milkshake IPAs, Fruited IPAs, Beer slushies, NEIPAs that taste like straight orange juice, and Pastry Stouts with maple syrup/chocolate/coffee/almonds/tiramisu in it.
They're all delicious...like I said, drink what you like.

With that said, here are some good pumpkin beers
Elysian Night Owl (my favorite pumpkin beer at the moment)
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (higher ABV but still really good)
Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale (aged in bourbon barrels)

And if you like cider...
McKenzies Pumpkin Jack (just a heads up that's it's pretty sweet)

Last edited:
Boneyard,

Love everything about fall, except for pumpkin beer. Every year I try to find a gem, but mostly end up with a whole bunch of bottles in the back of the fridge.

Does a good pumpkin beer actually exist?

If so, help me find the diamond in the rough!
Jack-O Traveler Pumpkin Shandy

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
Just an observation on Octoberfest beers. Sam Adams’ version gives me an awful headache for some reason.
Sugar. A traditional Octoberfest - Marzen tastes rather different than Sam's version, which is very malty and sweet.

Fantastic suggestions all. I’m going to try as many as my wife, wallet and palate will allow.

Will send a recap when finished. Appreciated!

Love HF 2x galaxy also. This and Abner are my two favs from HF. But u gotta stock up cuz they don’t have either all that frequently. I personally think Alchemist just 30+ minutes further is a better choice than HF. PRICE and selection far superior.
I can find DG on tap up there pretty often after the brewery runs out - meaning like two weeks after the brewery runs out.

I've been to alchemist and have the focal and heady in the fridge - I'm giving it to friends, I'll drink one can each. It's not close to as good as DG to me. Legitimacy is real good as well.

I'm not concerned about price with this type of stuff.

I don't like pumpkin beer usually, but I remember really liking Southern Tier Pumking Ale. Really strong beer, but I remember the pumpkin and spice notes were actual "notes" and not in your face.